Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rookie Model A question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

I feel stupid asking this, but ill keep it short and sweet. What is supposed to keep the tires from turning too far on an I-beam front end? I have a stock "a" axle and 37-48 spindles with drum brakes. I am not using a stock steering box. It seems that I need something to stop me from turning too sharp and rubbing tires against drag link/ wishbone, etc.

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I nail my wishbone all the time. Gonna have to be more carefull now that they're getting chrome...

The pie crust makes a fwapping sound..

3. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

What did these cars come with to stop the steering? did the steering box limit steering? it seems that would be rough on a steering box:confused:

4. Berky

Berky

There should be a stop on the pin that holds the king pins in the axle. It will hit the spindle to limit the turning radius.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep. When you split the wishbones they sometimes are outside that arc and get rubbed though. My chrome steering drag link has rub marks on it from sharp left turns.

Don

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Some folks make the mistake of putting in the cotter locking pin that holds the kingpin in place from the wrong direction, hence the acorn head style nut that goes onto the cotter pin, does not make contact with the sharper turning inside wheel spindle.

The acorn head acts as a stop.
    The other issue can be that some split wishbones are brought out too wide on the frame and the tire will hit the side of the wishbone before the spindle has a chance to make contact with the cotter pin acorn nut head.

If this is the case and you want to prevent the tire from hitting the wish bone, just modify the head of the stock cotter pin, get a new pair made to your requirements or as I did some time back, make your own by welding 2 nuts together and then tacking a small piece of solid round rod into the end to satisfy your length requirement and then round it off with a sanding belt or a lathe even better.
    Trick is to ensure when welding the nuts together that they are on a bolt so the thread runs continuous.
    In my last pic you will note I also added a small piece of round rod to my backing plate area to ensure the correct contact point.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

7. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

THANKS! that is exactly what I needed to see! Im in the process of trying to figure out this build. It seems that my wishbone will BARELY clear with the stock pin. My drag link will be the bigger issue