Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help, ideas!! Car died, need 'new' car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Just like it says. My '76 Cadillac SDV has died - broken frame and no brakes. Yup, related items.

Anyway. I've been out of the car market for a few years (economy), dabbled in OT cars for a bit more, now wish to get a car that will get me to and from, has no electronics at all (pre '67, generally), decent fuel economy (6, small 8), 4 door, stick/no options, and good parts support.

Yet, I'm easy. All can be fudged, save size/economy (no big-block Falcons, and no more Cadillacs, for now)

Where do I search, besides eBay?? Budget's about $3,000, so Ramblers are in the running, too.

I sound like a newbie [sigh], but I'm in kinda dire straits, having only a motorcycle, living near Chicago, and 25 miles from work.

Oh, yeah, I've a good running 500 Cadillac with a good TH400, surrounded by a car body that's a wreck. Scrap is what's going to happen unless someone offers something.

Thanks for looking in,
    Cosmo

2. kingofalldrunks

kingofalldrunks

Craigslist. I'd suggest the smaller towns listed around Chicago. I don't know how it is up there, these days, but there were tons of pre-67 runners in Florida in the last few months.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni

try tempestsearch.com. or searchtempest. its a website that searches all craigslists ads withing a radius of your zip

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

You want to spend $3k on a mid 60's 4 door? The world is your oyster. Craigslist.

5. Eight433

Eight433

Can't help you on your car search, but maybe I could take the cad off your hands and replace it with a (small) amount of cash if I can find out what years are acceptable for disc brake conversion on my 67? :)

6. kingofalldrunks

kingofalldrunks

This. And Searchtempest is an awesome way to go.

7. Disc conversion?!?! '68 through '76, unless I'm mistaken. F-75's used different, as did commercial chassis, but I believe that a spindle swap with SDV/CDV/Brougham is all you need to do. And BTW, new calipers/rotors/pads/drums/shoes. Lines were new, too, but can't hold a frame together :(

Thanks for the help - I was unaware of those searches - keep it coming.

Cosmo

8. devilleish

devilleish