Register now to get rid of these ads!

shock aborber help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by larry woods, Jan 16, 2012.

1. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

I HAVE researched this and ended more confused than when i started. In your reply remember go slow as your are responding to an all fart and i don't read as fast as i once did, yes half fast! Problem need to remount tube shocks on rear of 30 A sedan, need to move more vertical. bottom mount on bottom of rear so what i want to do is remove shield and invert shocks so i have clearance with rear and not move bottom mount.? just move mount or will it work? thanx larry

2. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

christ that's hard to read.

pictures?

3. US_Marshall

US_Marshall

Are the shocks hitting during suspension travel?

If you flip the shock absorbers up side down, you will also revers the the rates that they operate at. If you have a 50/50 shock or any other that are equal it will not be a problem. If the rates are not the same you will need new shocks.

4. If I follow, you want to remove the shield on the top? And then turn the shock upside down? I don't see how this will make any more room, shock is still the same mounted length. Need more explanation of what you are asking, i am confused trying to answer.

The shield can be removed no problem. Turning the shock upside down will reverse the valving rate as US Marshall said.

5. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

will try to be clearer. want to use current bottom mount and tip top of absorber as vertical as possible. can't get fully upright as shock will hit rear. if i remove shield and invert i can get shock more vertical. currently the shocks are too horizontal. guess i need to investigate the whether to go w/ 50/50 or other. any insights? thanx again sorry it wasn't clear, guess it comes from a career as a bean counter and not a linguist!

6. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

pics pics pics pics

7. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

sorry about no pix, car is hibernating in upstate NY. trying to get my 2do list for spring. i need to do more investigating as i can't wrap my mind around the different rates and their applications. again thanx for the comments and sorry i can't make it clearer.

8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think i kinda get what you're trying to do.

My understanding is that gas shocks will work in any position but oil filled need to be upright. So, if oil filled the shocks wouldn't work if they were inverted. I could be wrong here though.

Can't you simply use the existing shocks and use longer bolts and spacer tubes to get you the clearance?

Besides, don't most shocks have different sized fixings top and bottom, so simply inverting them wouldn't be as straightforward as you think?

Chris

9. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

Mounting the shocks upside down doesn't change the damping inside the shock. If the shock is being compressed it doesn't know if which direction it's mounted.

As was mentioned, non-gas shocks need to be mounted upright. There is air inside the shock and if you mount it upside down the foot valve will be at the top in the air instead of down at the bottom covered with oil.

You could buy shocks with stiffer damping.