Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spirit of South Dakota LSR lakester/rear enigine roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Yup, looking at doing that! If this one holesaw makes it through I may not however:eek:

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Entertaining and educational, Trent. Keep it up!

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

It's looking really good, T-Bag! Sorry I've been too busy to follow this thread properly...

I'm loving the second tier "dash" bars - great addition. Just remember, I require a 3" minimum hole for my cup holder. Ashtray should be 2.75" max O.D., with positive locking cover (as per SFI spec). Will bring my own form fitted seat and butterfly (28 spline). You haven't mentioned the stereo and A/C yet. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Keep up the good work, kid. It may not feel like it now, but you're really getting there!

PS: My apologies for every one of our phone calls being interupted! I'm not used to this executive lifestyle yet...
    Scotty

Tman likes this.
  4. Rocky told me about your Robin Leach lifestyle! Now, off to design that cupholder.........

5. Scotty, you will see I have came up with two racy solutions. Hi-tech Stainless Steel or flashy anodized aluminum.

[​IMG]

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thinking the aluminum would be better for a drag race car where you are looking to keep the weight down.:rolleyes: Seems like the stainless would be better on the salt anyway. :D

7. On a serious note we did some shop cleaning and got the block up on the rails. Time to figure out where it needs to be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Thanks Carl, I have a few questions for you. Next time you think of it shoot me your number.

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thanks Trent! I guess I have to side with 64 Dodge 440 here - stainless cup holder it is. Most of the stuff I drink is way too corrosive for aluminum anyway.

My two cents on drivetrain location (for what it's worth): Snuggle it up as close as you can to the cage, to keep weight centered so it doesn't want to wag its tail as much.

Sure is exciting to see The Spirit taking shape! Hope you can keep the momentum going.

10. The momentum is there, is is all consuming, you guys keep me going!

11. 6inarow

6inarow

watch the room for the water pump and balancer - they hang out the front pretty far. If you dont have a core, I'll bring one nest time I come out

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Trent and Tom.

Looking good.

The waterpump is 4 1/2" to 5 1/2" long depending on which one you get.

Did you get that shorty trans?

13. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey Mark, is there anyway to make a cover and "Outlet" for the water pump hole and then put a remote electric pump somewhere else so the block can be scooted right behind the seat? Maybe Rich or Dick can chime in here too.

14. I will need a core. We need to swap Dyces parts anyway.

Did not look into that tranny, the southeast might as well be Down under when shipping heavy stuff. Thanks for the measurments and the heads up on that gearbox.

Thats what I was thinking about, with a core I can make something for the front of the block.

Took some time last night and also got the "dash bar" tacked in place.

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Yes there is.

Replace the front plate under the cam with one that goes the full width of your frame, just like the drag racers use.

Next, buy an inline electric water pump and fit it between the radiator/water tank and the engine.

Have the water enter the block via the original water pump hole (needs suitable provision for braided hose attachment) or via the plugs on the side of the block.

I have an aluminium engine plate here for reference if you need pictures.

16. I would love to see pics of your engine plate!

17. jangleguy

jangleguy

I've had good luck with remote electric water pumps on drag cars. And motor plates are our friends...

18. Which pumps have you used Scotty? Never ran one myself.

19. Trent - excellent progress. It does suck up an ungodly amount of time, don't it?

Charlie

20. Yup, just ask carla!:eek::eek:

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Trent

I just checked the back of the engine plate I have, and there is an oil return channel on it - its made with a grinder.

I can photograph it if you want

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In my Vega I have been using Teel pumps for some years with out failure. Can't say the same for Jabsco that I previously used. My roadster has a potable water pump from a Super Connie. Hard to find these days but you might scrounge one from a 737 or such.

23. I'll just mosey out to the airbase then!:D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  24. Out of curiosity, is the engine stressed? I have heard that inline engines are extremely robust, but difficult to integrate with the structure.

25. Stressed? With my right foot of course!

Seriously, these things are cast like bridge supports. No worries, there. BTW, we are doing a breakfast thsi Saturday, PM me

26. Trent its 916-300-6779

27. Thanks Carl. I will be in touch.

28. Woohoo! Front axle is here! Thanks to Saltflatmatt for a hookup on an amazing axle. Looks wide in the pics but the track will be 44". Lots of reasons for a dropped axle, I will get into them later.

[​IMG]

29. What WB are you lookin for Trent?