Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tony Miller's Custom 40 Ford Convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DRD57, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I like the way Tony thinks.

2. 57J2

57J2

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Your work is very impressive.

3. blackout

blackout

Speachless, BTTT

4. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Damn that looks good! Good eye Tony! (I geuss we knew that already)
    Nice work Don, must be fun stepping back at the end of each day's work and seeing that vision come to life! Damn my car looks fat now!

5. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

6. What a fantastic build. design is right and stance is perfect. When you first started I thought not a Forty coupe, but I really like it.

7. The title threw me ((WTF?)) but diggin' the build.

8. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

wow!
    impressive!
    subscribed!
    More!!

9. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I love Tony's cars. He has a great eye. Save a wheel choice here and there.

Tony, this car is great. I can't wait to see it at breakfast. Really glad to see the progress.

10. Great work and well executed plan! Amazing look for sure!

-Shiny

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

what his son used to say x2.

12. LabRat

LabRat

13. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

wow ! thanks for sharing ! subscribed :eek:

14. FIVESPEEDRON

FIVESPEEDRON

Very cool. Its good to know there are others with the custom affiction. I don't think it can be cured. Ronnie

Attached Files:

15. Yep....I love this version.

Incredible vision and execution....can't wait to see more!

16. FASI

FASI

Tony, great concept and it looks so right. Looking forward to the finished car. The build photos are very well done as is the metal work itself. Congrats on what will be a killer ride. Keith

17. cru_zn_29

cru_zn_29

Tony
    This is a great project will definitely turn a lot of heads. Happy to see the doors worked out for you.
    Kenny

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Me too, Kenny!

Thanks to all you guys for your comments and your support.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  19. Wow amazing work.
    I have a 39 standard that I hope to start this winter and I am still trying to figure out a direction to go with the build. Koolkemp wants to put it under the knife lol. This thread is great motivation!
    Thanks

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Don! That looks great! I'm usually not to in tune with lots of custom bodywork, but you managed to fix all the things I don't like about that particular car with out making it look "custom" for custom's sake! And your using a standard hood and grill too! Even better!

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Just waiting for the call lol!!!

22. To get the back in the weeds we moved the leaf springs inboard of the frame rails and then built a generous "C" notch in
    the frame. Here's the beginning pattern for the notch

Is that 2x4, 1/8" square tubing in the notch? I was admiring the nice rounded edges.
    looks good.

23. DRD57

DRD57

Yes. We built the "C" notch pieces and then cut the top of the frame so they could be inserted and tacked in without completely severing the rear section of the original frame. Then, once they were tacked in we cut the frame out below them and finished the welding.

24. Very pleasing to see! A wonderful design that is coming alive. That brings loads of inspiration and knowing the taste of the builder as well as the owners taste, it will be a perfect custom, or may I call it a coachbuilt?

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The owner and builder have more patience, talent and vision than many of us combined.
    Most everyone gets a car and makes so many changes that sometimes it becomes a cartoon of what it was originally.
    Guys, just by their nature, want to change everything.
    We're the same guys who think if a six-pack is good, a case must be better.
    All the while, the guy who has only three beers gets the best looking chick at the party and takes her home while the rest of us are drunk and arm wrestling in the kitchen.
    Tony and Don were and are the guys with their eye on the goal instead of, like most of us, who would run to Pep Boys for chrome valve covers and be satisfied.
    Tony and Don were the guys that used restraint and tact to get the girls while everyone else would try to impress the girls with belching contests.
    Patience, skill and style trump excess and overindulgence in a more elegant and refined world.
    In the car world, Tony, is the classical composer and Don, is the most talented of orchestra conductors.

Upon it's completion, Tony and Don will:
    A. keep the majority guessing
    B. stun the perfectionists
    C. amuse the amateur "car minded" population on the highways
    D. baffle the Ford "know-it-alls"
    E. shame the self-proclaimed "expert"
    F. put smiles on the faces of the rest of us mortals.

thanks for bringing us along for the ride.....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Hi, Per, nice to hear from you.

Aw, shucks, Doug; you are too kind.

A couple of other guys have played a role in this project that deserves acknowledgement. The original idea of putting a '46 top on a '40, and the necessary adjustments to make it look good in profile, was done with the help of John Vernon's hand at Photoshop. John is no longer active at Photochopping, and his last version was tweaked a little more by Rik Hoving:

[​IMG]

Other design studies were undertaken to determine the precise amount to channel, how much to cut and rake the windshiield, and which of several grille options to use. This is Rik's rendering of a faux '40 Merc grille, which is what we're currently planning to use:

[​IMG]

These guys' skill at Photoshop helped determine the boundaries between Not Enough & Too Much, and gave me enough confidence to pull the trigger. Thanks to them both, and especially to Don.

brEad likes this.
  27. afaulk

afaulk

Wowsa, lots of work and looking good !!!! This job took a lot of vision and patience not to mention the required skills. Good on ya!

28. That is cool!! Soooooooooooo much work but it looks amazing!!!

29. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

wow, lookin good. Totally agree about the stock 40 convert top, They look like a covered wagon.

30. cruzr

cruzr

Tony.............outstanding!! cant wait to see you drive it in at the Anti-Donut breakfast.......