Register now to get rid of these ads!

1917 Crow Lakester Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MotorVillain, Jan 6, 2012.

1. MotorVillain

MotorVillain

2. A modern built 2 person wingtip tank "lakester"? I tire of these posers.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

1917? What type of ass comes up with a date like that? Please show me a 1917 Wing Tip that could carry that tank empty much alone filled.

4. MotorVillain

MotorVillain

yeah, i don't get the 1917 part either... and I know it's not "authentic"....but you know what? I think it looks cool and I'd have fun driving it on that lake bed.

to each his own!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

2 seater street legal (?) belly tank gets built and people come and complain.

looks like fun to me.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is pretty cool. But the 1917 bit is funny. And I think that many of us get turned off by the idea that a somewhat misrepresented vehicle is going to Embarrass Jockson in search of big $. It's like, oh...here we go again. But...if I saw it on the street, I'd be lookin'...and probably grinnin'.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

But.. I still like it. Jeez, those old Connies must have had HUGE EffN wing tanks, eh? I would have make it more streetable - perhaps a big gullwing door? Regular speedo? How about a funky, swoopy rag top or some sort? Gary

8. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Hey, it's being auctioned on "Reject Jackstand", give'em a break !

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Looks like a neat car. I loved the engine description in the auction list " HEMI 4cyl".
    That would include mostly Japanese engines I think, especially Toyota, not that there's anything wrong with that.

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

I had no idea it was so BIG until I saw the photos. What did the tank come off of? A P551?

11. No, Dan Webb is a true craftsman. I see this thing as a circus attraction for Barrett Jackson, can't wait for the commentary as it rolls across the block:rolleyes:

12. Damn... that thing is friggin' COOL!

Imagine driving around town... down the highway... oh man.

Sam

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

I dig those 1917 Disc brakes on the rear!!! Sweet!!!

14. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I like the first photo... a sorta neat vibe.... great craftsmanship.... nice paint scheme etc. Then as I look at the rest of the photos, especially the photo with the people in it, I start having a queasy feeling in my stomach and by the time I had looked at all the photos and read the description I felt "disgust". It is just so wrong on so many different levels.

15. 1917? Lame! Besides that it is pretty cool.

16. bct

bct

maybe 1917 has nothing to do with the year.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1947 would have been a lot more authentic as far as year model goes. It looks like a fun car that someone with a few too many drinks will pay way too much for. Outside of the price of the tank I see around 4k at most in the vehicle.

Engine is probably a Toyota 2 or 3 TC.

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm kinda with Tman on this one. Some Bonneville racers dislike phony Bonneville cars. Still it is kinda cool. If big with a very nontraditional engine. Maybe the buyer will install a 337 Lincoln or something good.

19. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Its kind of a cool concept....minus the two seats, "4cyl HEMI", and the "1917?" part . A belly tanker that can be taken out and driven would be fun.....especially for those of us that arent near Bonneville or the dry lakes. If it was a one seater, i would've found a way to use removable headlights that can be stowed until needed....use something like some small studs and cannon plugs, just to keep more of a lakes look until dark. But then again, not something i would drive much at night. But thats just me....good craftsmanship though

20. What's the car in MotorVillain's avatar?

21. Over in the UK it's possible to get a "daylight only" certificate of roadworthyness - so no lights needed.

22. With my name being Crow,,,,and,,,being a good friend of Bobby Green and the "Old Crow" tanker,,,and the fact that this thing is DEFINATLY not what my "Old School" attitude is,,,,,I FEEL VIOLATED!

23. its Not a Bad looking Car or what ever it is!
    I would Drive on the Street
    but what the Hell I am a Crazy Old Man!

just my 3.5 cents

24. grazy

grazy

Should'nt a 1917 be wood and canvas ? Airplanes did'nt have aluminum until what WWII did they ? And smoohie wheels kinda new for 1917 also . Don't get me started, someguys spend alot of money ordering what they want and wonder about not getting accepted they just don't get it or understand .That other guys head poking out in front of the dash is the dumbest thing about it. Looks as a gay as another dude riding bitch on back of a Harley.

25. Mpettus

Mpettus
    from Iowa

You Guys don't understand the 1917 has nothing to do with the actual year of the car or wing tip tank or anything affiliated with it.. the only reason its being called a 1917 is because it is registered for street as a 1917 Crow! and Barrett Jackson Cant Label a car as anything other than what it is titled as... You guys are correct the tank is from a 1950's supper connie.. The supper connie originally had two of these one on each wing tip and each of them held 700 gallons of gas.. So nothing off of this car really has to do with 1917 it is just titled as that so it can be driven on the street... You guys are also correct the engine is from a Toyota... This car was not meant to replicate an old belly tanker/Lakester it was to do something new and that has never been done... Who can say they have ridden in a belly tanker/lakester... No one because no one has every built a two seater..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

27. millersgarage

millersgarage

Mpettus beat me to it.... and welcome first poster....

I figured that what it was titles as, must be they couldn't find any "historical documents" closer to the actual year of the car.

28. Mpettus

Mpettus
    from Iowa

That is correct you can imagine how hard it would be to find a way to title something like this... Technically it is titled as that because in the state of Iowa you must have something that is originally from that car with the VIN or Tag Number.. It kinda stinks that Barrett Jackson Cant Label it as something else because it would be labeled as a Custom Car or its own nick name The Lockheed Lakester.. But the title says different so they wont and don't advertise it as anything else... If anyone has any questions about the vehicle id be glad to clear up confusion

29. saucerhead

saucerhead

I would like to see what Tman can build or what he has in his garage. Why cut on some ones creativity? The first comment about a Model A , or Deuce without fenders was "I tire of those posers".