Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 in a 66 f-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by staygreasy, Jan 13, 2012.

1. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

i've got a 66 f-100 that i'm wanting to put a 302 and five speed in. nothing super hot that would need a tremec trans. a regular t-5 should do. the engine mounts, trans mount, and clutch linkage shouldn't be rocket science. i can figger all that out. what i'm wondering is the t-5 i have is out of a mustang, i know the ones out of s-10s have a different shifter location, anybody done this yet? which one would be better? anybody got any measurements from the shifter to the bellhousing flange on the s-10 that i could compare to my mustang trans? i'm sure i could get out to some transmission shops and check all this out. i just figgerd i'd give y'all a try first. somebody's bound to have done this already. thanks for your input, criticism, and sarcastic remarks in advance!

2. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I dont know the answers to your questions, but I recommend you visit the "Slick 60's" website. (Google it) These guys are all about the 61 to 66 Ford trucks and probably have someone on the site that has done what you want to do. :)

3. willys_truck

willys_truck

I just put a 90 model 5.0 roller motor and a t5 out of a mustang in my 65 f100. I used the stock mustang t5 and it worked perfectly. I used 79 f100 motor stands for a sbf. I used a hurst short throw shifter and I made a long shifter handle so I do not have to lean over to shift. I also used the t5 aluminum bell and converted the stock clutch pedal the stock mustang cable.

4. willys_truck

willys_truck

I forgot to add, I AM using the stock uncut bench seat.

5. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

COOL willys truck! that's what i was wondering, where the shifter would come up through the floor and if it would interfere with the seat any. i knew i'd have to modify the shift handle, but that's the cool part cuz you can do whatever you want there. how exactly did you convert the clutch to cable? the truck is all lever action and the mustang is cable. the cable would probably be cleaner and work better for the exhaust.

6. Im doing this on my 64 & dont plan on useing any s10 parts. And willys I would like to see how you did your cable.

7. willys_truck

willys_truck

I will get a pic tomorrow,the cable comes through the factory clutch rod hole in the floor

8. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

I put a T-5 out of a Mustang in my 64 F100, but I still have a stock y-block. After I got the trans in, I went to install my seat, and the shifter was under the seat. I had to raise my seat an inch in the front, cut down my Hurst shifter, and make a bracket to move it forward four inches.

9. willys_truck

willys_truck

Here is a pic, the cable come up through the factory clutch rod hole. I tryed to get a pic of the shifter location, but my flash on my camera does not work.

Attached Files:

10. How did you attach the quadrant for the cable to the pedal?

11. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

If you want to move the shifter forward on your Mustang T5, The S10 tailshaft housing will fit. You'll also need the tranny cover with the shorter shift rails. The speedometer gear prolly won't line up so you'll need to move the gear and epoxy it on the tailshaft with some shim stock like the Chevy guys...

This is my Camaro V8 box with a close ratio gearset and an S10 tailshaft housing...

Attached Files:

12. willys_truck

willys_truck

There is no quadrant, just the firewall adjuster. I used the factory pivot on the pedal arm, but I welded curved up fingers to hold the end on the cable.

13. gordy80128

gordy80128
    from Colorado

I'm collecting the parts to put a T5 in my 40 Ford coupe. I measured the locations of the shifters for the Mustang (94) and the S10 and it moves the shifter forward by about 8". I got my parts (tailshaft housing, shifter, etc.) from Paul at 5speeds.com. He was very helpful and his prices seemed reasonable. (no affilliation with the man or his business, just a satisfied customer)

14. willys_truck

willys_truck

In a 65 and 66 f100 with a sbf and 79 f100 engine stands there in no need to move the shifter forward. It would actually be under the edge of the dash in my truck. I will try to get better pics in the daylight. My 65 is my ONLY ride, I just like the truck, I drive it to work and anywhere else I need to go, it gets driven EVERYDAY.

15. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

thanks mr willys for your help! i know what you mean about it being your ONLY ride. my fairlane has been my daily ride for about the last 7 years. it doesn't look like much but damn alot of regular people don't realize the dedication it takes to commit to driving an old car daily. my plans are to get the truck in daily driver shape and try and sell the fairlane. i just need to narrow down some of my projects. the 302 and t-5 was originally slated for the car, but i need a truck more than a car right now so it makes the best sense. i've got pics of them both in an album here if youd like to check 'em out. again thanks everybody for your help!

16. willys_truck

willys_truck

Here are a few more pics, sorry, did not get home until after dark again and it is hard to get underdash pics.

Attached Files:

17. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

that's cool. from what i see that you've done i should be able to figure it out. thanks again.