Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 Rocker Covers SOLD OUT!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6inarow, Jan 12, 2012.

1. 6inarow

6inarow

Today I sold the last 235 valve over that I made. I kept a couple for my personal stash, but the rest are gone. A big THANK YOU TO the Hambers that helped me along the way. It was an interesting project.

About 15 years ago, I happened to see a late 40's GMC Cabover with a Diesel in it. I bought the studs that hold the rocker covers (are they called that on a diesel??) because I thought I could modify the design and make a similar looking pattern for my 235 rocker cover and use it for the hold down knobs. Nothing like it is available for our inlines. I am a dentist by profession so the pattern and casting process is familiar to me.

Over the years a lot of inlines and parts for them have come and gone. One valve cover that I thought was really cool was the CAW. Patrick Dykes is a dear friend and I had owned, bought, sold and swapped several of his WAYNE sets. I also had an Edmunds on the wall. I started looking at all of them and thought to myself that it is still 30's and 40's technology and patterns and that could be improved. So, that started me down my path to make a 40's style rocker cover made today to math the hold down knobs that would look old school. Turned out pretty good too, if I do say so myself.

I learned a lot along the way. I learned that if you want something like this done here in the US of A, you are going to pay for it. I was OK with that. Offshore isnt in my blood. I learned that there were a lot of people that say "yeah, do it, I'll buy one" were nowhere to be found when its time to pony up. But that didnt surprise me either - happens all the time. I Learned that there are a lot of really cool people out there that I never would have met had I not done this.

So, here is how it all worked out. I cast 50 of these things. I had a total of $7000 in the whole lot, start to finish. I sold them all for a total of $8500. It took 3 years to do the whole thing. 42 or 43 of them were sold here on the HAMB, by far my greatest supporters.

The reason for the post is to say thanks to all here that bought one, I hope you found the quality as good as I thought they were. We inliners are a limited group and I hope in some small way you enjoy having something different than every other inliner when you pop your hood. Know that they were made by a hot rodder for a hot rodder. Mine is on my '56 and is engraved with "Purifoy Chevrolet, Ft. Lupton, CO" so if you see it, say hello and again, thanks for the support

Attached Files:

2. Tom, sorry to see the end of the run. I covet the one we have on OUR lakester. Working on it tonight in fact, gimme a call.

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Best 235-261 Valve cover ever...! Thanks for offering them to us Tom. So what's next.... Flathead parts?;)

Attached Files:

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

wish I had seen those when you were selling them. look like a nice cover

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I didn't buy one (V8 guy), but congrats on making a cool product that not only looks and works good, but was made by an American with good ole' American know-how!

6. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Tom, I'm not sure how I missed getting in on this deal. If you ever do it again, let me know.

Larry

7. people do not realize how hard and expensive it is to bring something to market. Quite the endeavor Tom.

8. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

make more!make more!.....if you sold em all , theres a market...money aint everything...kev

9. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Funny, I was thinking of unloading some of my dress-up/hop-up gear, and getting one of yours Tom - Oh well - you snooze and you loose!!!

10. That is a beautiful piece, congratulations on making it happen!

11. Yes.

Low volume domestic manufacturing can be "expensive".
    Especially compared to high volume imported crap.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

12. Maybe because he didn't make enough money on the first batch.
    With the numbers he posted, most people would not bother.

13. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Whats the tie in with Purifoy if I might ask,I have family that lives in Fort Lupton.

14. 6inarow

6inarow

You hit the nail on the head - there was no money in it but I knew that if I wanted one that was the way it was going to be. As long as I didnt lose money I was OK.

Thats why the side cover hasnt been done yet. I just didnt have the cash up front to do it.

15. Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to produce a second run now that the molds are already made? Or is most of the production cost in machining?

I'm just asking for curiosity's sake.

16. 6inarow

6inarow

yep it will be cheaper next time around. i amortized the design costs in the first run

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

And still only made $30.00 each? THAT is a bargain! Forty years from now rodders may be dropping your name in the same conversation as Ardun and M/T.......No REALLY!

18. 6inarow

6inarow

Oh, I missed this when you posted it. I Grew up in Ft. Lupton - 1/2block from Purifoy's. I used to walk by their showroom every day on my way to school. Every week I drooled over the SS Chevelles and Novas and of course the Corvettes. Rollie is a lifelong friend

19. WDobos

WDobos

Tom,
    I know what you mean. I wanted a steel spare tire cover for my Fiat Topolino and there were none. I invested my own money to get a shitty orginial then to get a patteren made and have them produced in the USA. Lots of leg work and out of pocket money. Some don't understand what that's like.

20. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey Larry, I found one in the garage - I'll try to ship it tomorrow

21. Curt B

Curt B

I sure hope you make more as the possibilities for machining the top are endless.

Attached Files:

22. 6inarow

6inarow

Curt, of all the valve covers I sold, I think yours is probably my favorite. Nice Job!!

I would consider casting another run if I had 10 or 15 or so pre sold. so if anyone is interested, post up here or PM me. Same thing with the side cover. I would estimate valve covers to run about $200 to include shipping and side covers in the $125 range.

23. hotdamn

hotdamn

I was fortunate enough to trade for one of your valve covers :)

I would gladly pay for $125 for a side cover!

If you make a second run you have to mark them some how so those of us with the first run can be nerds and feel superior because we have some weird casting flaw or something that was corrected on the second run ;)

seriously though, if you decide to run a batch of side covers pm me and I'll buy one from you. :D

24. 6inarow

6inarow

hey, I never thought of making a small change in the next ones. Actually I have a couple prototypes that I kept that are different than the final product. they look weird though.

I remember the trade too - I have that intake on my 56 right now. Thanks!!

25. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great effort to make something unique. I hope that if you do indeed make a second batch that you can at least make some profit on them. For all your work I do not think "profit" should be a bad word. Nice work.

26. gas pumper

gas pumper

I like the step at the bottom to keep the gasket in.

Does this use a cork gasket?

Is the height any lower than the Patrick's ribbed covers?

Thanks,
    frank

27. 6inarow

6inarow

Ah, I made enough money. Plus I got a couple of valve covers for free, so it all worked out. I just like this inline crap, so its just for fun to me

I cant remember the actual height,but it is very very close to the height of Patrick's Wayne cover. I found that all of the aftermarket covers were very close in height to the stockers. I also found that the 216 gasket works about a gazillion times better than the 235 gasket on the 235!! Its because there are no holes for the screws to hold down the 235 cover on the 216 gasket.

28. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

My valve cover showed up yesterday, all I can say is it's very cool.

There were a couple of pictures of those that were modified, what has everyone else done with theirs? I was just thinking about polishing it.