Register now to get rid of these ads!

TIME To VOTE!! Model Build Off 8 — Salt Flats Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luciomduran, Jan 9, 2012.

?

Vote for your favorite Salt Flats Racer!!

Poll closed Jan 14, 2012.
  1. Entry 1

84 vote(s)
    23.4%
  2. Entry 2

16 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Entry 3

49 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Entry 4

12 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Entry 5

135 vote(s)
    37.6%
  6. Entry 6

63 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Too bad Dan. Just think, if #4 comes back and ends up beating #5 by that one vote it
    will all be on you... Ha Ha....
    #4 is a very cool model build. It reminds me of the cars that show up at Nostalgic Drags and the like.

2. 76cam

76cam

I voted #6 GO Texas!!!!!

3. It was between #1 and 5 - I voted for 1, but still feel pretty strong about 5

I actually liked #3 BEST, but it wasn't really salt flatish to me, more street/drag Hot Rod!

4. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

They're all neat, but you don't have to squint too hard to see #5 on the salt so that got my vote. Otherwise it would have been to hard - Number #1 sure looks like an old Bonneville car that's switched to 1/4 mile action!
    #6 looks like something out of the little pages era - cool. Dig #4 too, but looks more drag than B'ville. #3 looks bitchin' too, might have got my vote if it had moon discs - tough crowd ain't we?

5. Hot_Rod_Johnny

Hot_Rod_Johnny
    from Sweden

Lol - that's what I like with H.A.M.B. (Almost) Any critique is good critique :)

6. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I voted for 6 because it looked "salty" to me and I like old Vette's. I won a model contest once in 1966 or 67 with a 36 Chevy coupe set up as a gasser/custom (?). It was at the Woolworths downtown and my buddy and I used to ride the bus to get there. We were 10/11. Do parents let their kids do that now? He entered a "hi-boy" 57 Ford that was much, much better than mine. I always felt bad about that. Brian, if your out there, you should have won.

7. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Thanks Jigger,

With that note to the possible outcome of this contest I will have to open a bottle of red.

DW

8. 46stude

46stude

Time's a gettin' short, folks. Voting ends tomorrow (Saturday).

Lovin' the comments, too. Always interesting to read how people see the entries.

9. Hot_Rod_Johnny

Hot_Rod_Johnny
    from Sweden

Come on and vote! The poll closes soon. 347 votes ain't good enough, let's make it at least 400 :)

Bump bump bump

10. rodzz2010

rodzz2010
    1. A-D Truckers

Now can you give it a couple steriods??

11. abc123

abc123

Bump-ump-ump. This is the final day for voting so choose your favorite and leave some comments, too.

12. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

Just a little bit of crazy info.. No. 1... The little chopped coupe hit over 1,500 scale MPH on a 200+ foot plastic track with a 1/4 mile speed trap on the end.. for the Slot Car Land Speed event..took second in unlimited class... That is why the funny foam tires.. that thing went over 55 MPH... crazy huh..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  13. I voted for the one that ran on the salt before 1964.

14. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

6 for me. i just like vettes in 60's performance mode

15. 46stude

46stude

Thank you to those HAMB'rs who took the time to vote!

Since the poll is closed, I'll take credit for my build:
    Entry #6 was mine.

[​IMG]

I have to publicly thank "drofrockology" (Monty) for helping me determine what class the Vette would've run at Bonneville back in the early '60s

16. abc123

abc123

I am honored to have received the most votes in the poll for my #5 entry, the coral-orange '53 Studebaker.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to all who voted, to the other entrants and to Lucio for organizing this. In the months leading up to the past week's contest poll the builders posted their progress on their entries at the H.A.M.B. Plastic Model Builders sub-forum. If you're interested in model car building I recommend that you join the group and participate. I've learned a lot from building my entries in this and the previous build-off.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  17. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I built number 4 I like drag cars what can I say,My roadster is a cross between the salt and drag,,,Its only in the tires though,Slicks are nasty in the rain,I wont run them.......I love being last and cant wait till the next build,Its all in the build....

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 1461.jpg Im glad I didnt post this in the contest

19. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

This model looks remarkably close to the car WZJUNK and his friend from Oklahoma built and campained in the 200 mile club a few years back. A lot of the work was done in WZJUNK's shop.
    They brought it to a HAMB Drags event to show.

20. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

Congrats to abc123 Awesome build...very cool salt ride....maybe I will build a stude for next years slot car land speed event.. need to break some records..

Wood

21. drofrockology

drofrockology
    from Reno, NV

you're welcome!