Register now to get rid of these ads!

Happy 80th "Big Daddy" Don Garlits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Jan 13, 2012.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

1932 was a great year for us gearheads. Not only did it give us some of the best looking cars and trucks of all time but it also gave us Don Garlits. For over 50 years he has entertained us and inspired us to build hot rods and race cars. He has never lost his passion. He is always adding something to his museum to make sure hot rodding is never forgotten. And yes, he is still drag racing (his new Hemi Challenger). The NHRA got it right when they named him the greatest drag racer of all time. He will always be #1 for me.

I am posting a picture of him behind the wheel of his recreation of the '62 Dodge Super Stock Max Wedge he and Pat raced back in '62. Happy birthday Big Daddy

Attached Files:

• 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      33.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. Wow, it seems like yesterday that he was racing the Swamp Rat at the old Golden Triangle drag strip and I was flagging.
    My old photos are pretty poor, but this is why they called him the swamp rat.
    The Desoto powered one was driven by ed Garlits.
    Happy Birthday, Big Daddy

Attached Files:

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh my gawd..is he really 80?? He is like the Chuck Norris of drag racing.

Happy B-Day Big. -Abone.

4. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

happy b-day big daddy

5. krooser

krooser

What can ya say... he's the Big Daddy.

Happy Birthday....

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

Exactly. Happy Birthday, Big!

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Probably not a good day for "Big Daddy" He just posted yesterday that His long time friend and build partner T.C. aka "Top Cat" Lemons passed away at 11 AM 1/11/2011 in the cabin next to the museum.Sorry for your loss "Big Daddy" may T.C. rest in peace,the pain he was suffering is now gone and He will live on in Hot Rod Heaven.

8. Wishing Don well and many more. He is in influence to us all with his drag racing history. But, he has also been married to the same woman for how long? since the 50s? He also raised a family and he loves the Lord.
    I'd say quite the life indeed.

A real role model to me.

Now, if he only liked Pontiacs he would be perfect :)

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy birthday Don Garlits!----Look as tho we are both 80 this year!!!
    I remember the Smokers meet at Bakersfield in 1956 when your wife pushed you off in the first West Coast appearance in that big ol' Chrysler station wagon full of kids!
    It was quite a sight back then---One I'll always remember!---Don

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was 10 years old when I cut the photo of Swamp Rat III out of The Danbury News Times and added it to my scrapbook. Now I'm the restorer/caretaker of the Lyndwood "Alley Oop" that pitted next to it at Dover Drag Strip. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Don! Thanks for all you have done for Drag Racing. Bob

Attached Files:

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Happy Birthday Don

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We just saw Don at a local car show where he was selling his book and T shirts. I bought a shirt and my Son bought his book. For 80 Don looks pretty good. Looking forward to getting a peek at him at Billetproof in March.

Happy birthday, Big Daddy. :)

Don

13. Rodder29

Rodder29

A big salute to the King of the Dragsters!!!! Happy Birthday Big Daddy!!!!!

14. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Happy birthday Big Daddy!!!! I've always heard nothing but good things about you and have admired your dedication, accomplishments, and your preservation of the sport you defined.
    I almost got to the museum in May, but my little guy got sick during the car ride. Too much disney the night before!!! Hopefully, I will be back in Florida soon.
    Here's too many more, happy birthday!!

15. sololobo

sololobo

Best wishes to one of my heros, he is one of the greatest ever! Salute to the King! ~sololobo~

16. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Happy Birthday Big Daddy! Many more!

17. Happy Birthday

18. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

A Very Happy Birthday to someone who is a true legend in the world of drag racing.

Few people in life become legends doing what they love to do and Don Garlits is one of the very few who have left their mark forever on drag racing.

The stories of his accomplishments are endless and could fill many books.

I saw him for the first time in 1964 at Dover Drag Strip and again at Englishtown when his dragster went end over end and when he landed he then drove the dragster back to the starting line going in the wrong direction to his cheering fans who could not believe what they had just seen.

Happy Birthday and I wish you many more.

Jim "Jimbo" Hill

19. robertsregal

robertsregal

Happy Birthday Big Daddy!!!

20. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Happy Birthday "Big"!!

21. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Happy Birthday, Don. I first saw you racing at Wichita Int'l Raceway in '74.

22. Happy birthday to the real deal.
    Don Garlits, a legend to us all.

I was with a friend and his granddaughter, a junior dragster driver, a few years ago at a strip in Pa. He signed her helmet and her jacket, and offerred her a few words of encouragement. I think her feet were barely touching the ground the rest of the day.

23. gasser john

gasser john

Happy Birthday BIG DADDY,hope you are well. so sorry to hear of your loss.

24. gasser john

gasser john

Hello, i wanted to add this: when i was in 8th ( 1971) grade the teachers said that my retention from reading ability was low and i should read more. they suggested reading things i was interested in. i went to the school library and promptly went to the race car section. i saw a book on drag racing and signed it out. the only thing i remember from that book was a picture of BIGS first funny car,a topless dodge dart on a dragster chassis, segway to 1997. on the way back from disney world with the family, we stopped at Don Garlits museum, i started telling my wife the story about the dart. lo and behold as we walked around one isle, there it was. the car that started it all for me, Dons dart funnycar. i just stared in awe and smiled. Thank you Big Daddy for a life full of excitement in a sport/hobby that means everything to me. respectfully John Clay

25. mxwge

mxwge

happy birthday Big Daddy you are my ALL TIME favorite.you set the pace and they all followed you.thanks for all the great racing your the greatest.

forever a fan, bob manis

26. Belated Birthday wishes to the man! Sorry to hear of your loss. As a teen, I watched him race at Pomona in the early 60's. A true legend...

27. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Bithday, BIG! You are THE MAN!

28. 343w

343w

I'm 65 years old and remember reading about Big Daddy in the Hot Rod magazines in 1959, he was my hero then and is still now. He is a true American Hero, they just don't makum like him anymore. Happy Birthday Big Daddy......

29. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Happy Birthday Big! Thanks for the continuing years of entertainment and inspiration. I hope I am going as strong when I reach 80 in 20 more years.

30. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Happy birthday Don. Thanks for the memories and in advance for the ones yet to come.

All the best.