Register now to get rid of these ads!

30-31 on '32 rails with Full '32 Hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 12, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just thinking ahead on my '30 Roadster project that will sit on '32 rails. I plan to run a full hood as seen on this Coupe. I've got new cowl side panels from Brookville and wonder if I should have the bead modified to mate with the '32 hood bead? How close is the fit of a '32 hood on a 30-31 cowl? Just thinking this over so I don't have to redo things later. Thanks! I'd like to know who owns the Coupe so I can give him credit for a really well built car. UPDATE: Just found out that is the Richie Whalen Coupe, from up North in Mass. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. cruzr

cruzr

nice A bone...........id like to know whos car ir is also

3. That does look really good. The hood tops look like special made pieces...

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think your almost going to have to go custom in this case. Stock "A" would be too short in length fore to aft. Deuce would be too wide at the cowl and have entirely wrong beads. Either way, the side panels are going to need the bottoms reshaped.

5. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

I THINK that car was in Street Rodder a year or so ago... can't remember. That thing is amazing. I plan on doing a deuce frame, grille, and hood on an A too.

6. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I contacted Hoosier Hoods http://www.hoosierhoods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1 and had them custom make my hood. I wanted a Model A style hood with the bead rolled to match the Model A cowl bead , but i wanted it 32" long and I wanted the 32 style center hinge. I didn't want the "flap" that sticks down the side of Model A hood tops but I wanted the side hinges inside of the hood tops like a 32 so that if I decide to run hood sides, I can. Hoosier Hoods were great to deal with- very personal. Tom...

Attached Files:

7. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Looks like Brookville offers a " A " hood with the 32 style side hinge . Might be a Rootlieb ?

Mike

8. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Need Louvers is right. I had Rootieb make mine, but I still had to cut and weld on it to make it fit and look right. Kennedy

Attached Files:

9. Mind if I ask what something like that would cost?

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll go custom hood when the time comes. Bob

11. flthd31

flthd31

Attached Files:

12. Such a breath of fresh air for the other wise tired and one trick pony styling of the Model A,also a nice way to cover up a boring 4bbl set up...

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd need to see more photos, but it looks like the grill shell is about an inch lower than the cowl? Has the shell on that car been chopped a tad? When I look at that photo, what keeps coming to mind is that Pagan Gold '34 Victoria with the Skylark wires that was in TRJ a while back. That car was very subtle, but had a HUGE amount of metal work in the front end. IIRC, the gril shell was chopped 3/4" or an inch, and all the other panels had been pie-cut and massaged to match up with it?

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

flthd31, thank you for the link to your hood modification. That was the one I read when it was originally posted that put the '32 hood idea in my mind. Seeing your photos has me convinced I'll just install the new cowl panels and worry about the hood after the body is on the frame. All this is way down the road, just trying to think things through and avoid extra work. I like the look of your Coupe, hope the project is moving along.

15. flthd31

flthd31

One thing you need to think about ahead of time is your radiator size. Mine is chopped 2 inches (from Walker) and the grill shell is stock height but lowered 2 inches by cutting the bottom sides 2 inches. This all depends on weather or not you channel the body a little bit to get rid of the gap.
    Also, a 32 hood is 32 inches long. If you're planning to modify an original 32 hood, you won't be able to stretch the wheelbase more than 1 1/2 inches. If you go with a custom made hood, length doesn't matter. They'll make it any size you want...just save up your pennies, they're pricey!

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are a lot of unknown dimentions at this point. With the rear wheels centered in the wheel wells, ('30 roadster on '32 rails) I don't know were the stock fire wall ends. Then the distance stone stock firewall to the radiator with a 354 HEMI will determine my hood length. I hope the stock 32" '32 fits perfectly. Time will tell.

17. 51MercSuicide

51MercSuicide
    from Kansas

I'm new to the Model A world, but I bought one, and I love it! My quick question is what is the differences between a 30-31 split hood and sides and the 32 hood and sides? I agree these cars look amazing!

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watching this... Good information.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

You know you want a hood on that project of yours Scooter.:)

20. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Here's mine with '32 twentyfive louver hood sides. Pics were Photoshopped to smooth out the mismatched primer spots but accurate otherwise.

Brookville uses Hoosier Hoods for most of their hot rod style hoods. Mine fits great but has a hinged 3 piece type custom full top.

Brookville also notches the grille shell to lower it to the "A" height.

Attached Files:

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but I was thinking this thread might be resourceful for the coupe build later. 31 on 32 rails with a hood and 32 grille. :rolleyes::D

22. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Here are a couple drawings with dimensions I found somewhere on the net tom...

Attached Files:

23. flthd31

flthd31

Here's a couple of pics to go along with the dimensions that Buford 36 posted.

Attached Files:

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks to everyone that has helped move this thread along with great information.

25. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Do you think a 107 inch wheel base 30 coupe/32rails with a hood would odd,1inch was added to stock 32wheelbase?

26. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma