Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wives and the cost of our hobby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, Jan 13, 2012.

1. 33 fuel

33 fuel

my wife says i never listen to her , or something like that.

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I set up a car account years ago, I put any extra money I had in it and use it for my cars. When I sell a car or parts the money goes back in the account, we've also used that money to remodel the kitchen and for vacations. Christmas my wife gave me cash for my account since I just finished a car in November and she knew I was low on cash. Her only demand is a stall in the garage for her car, I get the other four. She supports my hobby 100%

3. I've never asked her if she minded, I was doing the car thing long before my wife and kids came along. I have slowed down a bit though, I used to buy a few cars a year and have curbed that, but we've never gone without and the kids love the whole car thing, we get to spend quite a bit of time together at car shows or just working on them.

She has never parked in the garage, but she knew that going in 12 years ago. At some point I would like to add on another 6 car garage at some point so we have a bit more space for the toys but we are a car family and this is what we do.

I remember one day about a year or so ago my wife came home from work to see a powder blue '70s rolls royce in the driveway, just drove around it and parked then just stopped in the garage for some regular conversation and not even questioning it - either she didn't care or really didn't want to know. It was just a buddies car, but she didn't bat an eye.

4. elsuperchile

elsuperchile
    from Dixon, Ca

My wife finally gave up on me rbinging cars home, looking for cars, selling cars, of course it took spending some cash to get her recording equipment. Now she is in too it and can't wait to drive one, in fact she gave me a deadline because she wants to drive one in the local May parade. Of course I laughed, and told her to give me her checks until then and maybe it would be done.

5. mj40's

mj40's

Ditto to the T except mine goes into my 40 Fords.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My wife makes more than I do. She honestly could give a flying **** about cars, but its important to me, so she supports it. But the budget is tight, we have a daughter, and a mortgage in Greater Vancouver(If you dont know why I specify that, check MLS.CA in my area and you will, :rolleyes::mad:) and I am supposed to only work on one car at a time. Every once in a while I see something that is a must have for the trad rod project that will come after the chevy II is done, if it is something hard to find that I really need, I cheat a little, and sneak money from the Chevy II fund, or elsewhere.

7. RAY With

RAY With

The wife and I both are car nuts and when she wants a car or parts we get it if within out budget and same for me. Works out well in our home and we both love animals so we do that also. She had several horses and I am into dobermans so as I see it we just have to pool the money to make it all work and so far it has.

8. big bad john

big bad john

.....I buried my two exwifes in the backyard....now my girl friend supports my car hobby 100%....

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Me too, we had a garage break-in before Christmas, my wife handed me a chunk of cash xmas morning for tools, which was a pretty big deal, as we are taking a one month trip to Vietnam starting this weekend and are REALLY tight right now. She had been saving her tips since the break-in. I actually got a little teary-eyed.

10. My Wife is very supportive . In Fact she is more apt to push me into buying something for my car than I am. I tend to over think a purchase, call me frugal, she just reminds that my son will spend the money when I'm gone.

11. cederholm

cederholm

I take on side projects to pay for my hot rodding - keeps me out of trouble.

12. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

My wife supports me 100%. I try not too spend my regular pay on my stuff too much, most of my fun money comes from side jobs and trade work gigs. Of course every once in awhile she asks when Am I gonna trade for some house remodeling money....LOL.

13. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

My wife is a bigger addict than me. She loves going to swap meets and does most of the selling when we`re there. All my buddies seem to spend a fair amount of visit time and she makes new buddies at every show.
    Hmmm. Maybe I should pay more attention.

She knows how to use a DA and a wrench and isn`t scared of a grinder.
    Her cars are a `29 roadster and `48 chevy pickup but the lawyers would say she owns half of mine too, I`m sure.

I`m very fortunate to have her.

Attached Files:

14. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

My wife wass fine with the first "Hot rod". Getting a little nervouse with the 2nd. I wanted a third but I am not going to push my luck. My advise is that yiou should be supportive of all the little things she wants to buy. That way, when you have blown your 2nd transmission on the 32 Ford, she doest make you sleep on the couch.

BC

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife figured out when we first got married that I wasn't going to take money away from family needs and living expenses to fund the hot rods. I'd seen racer's kids live on beans and weenies so that the dirt track car could have new parts or the entry fee and that didn't set well with me from the get go.
    We have usually had a nice daily driver that I picked up cheap and did some repairs on and she drove for a few years. Buick Electra 225, Cad Deville, Cad Seville Pontiac Catalina wagon, 72 Chevelle hardtop and what not. No new car every three years but usually a presentable car to drive.
    If she has a gripe it has to be because I haven't spent a lot of money on new furniture over the past 42 years. It was never a big thing with her to have new furniture so we just go along with what we have most of the time. She isn't one of those gals that plays the 1.00 on the car 1.00 on stuff for the house or her either.

She has had her bank account and her bills and I have had my bank account and my bills and as long as the bills are paid on time the world is good and life is good and if I get any extra the hot rod or boat gets something new and if she gets a bit extra she gets something new that she has wanted. It works well that way. But I always seem to get stuck with all of the repairs on her ot car.

The main thing is don't neglect the family or bills so that you can have a hot lick car. If you can figure out how to set aside money for the car then life is good. That may mean drinking cheaper beer or not going out on the town so often or wearing 10.00 jeans instead of 50.00 jeans but a guy can figure it out, get things done on the car and still get along with the wife.

16. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife has been supportive. She knows I waited 55 years to have the shop and the toys in it.

17. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My wife knew what my addiction was when we were dating, she has always been VERY supportive. We're going on 40 years together. Both my son and daughter are in to the hobby and the industry.
    My son is an automotive engineer, and a HAMBer. My son inlaw teaches auto shop at a local trade school and is on an Indy car team!
    I know where my bread is buttered and she butters both sides!

18. sthero

sthero

My wife is totallaly cool with it. I am the one who usually has to throttle her back when it comes to the car!

19. Easy to have 100% support when you've kept her clueless. I'm no mystic but I can easily see a divorce lawyer in your future, and then you'll be lucky to have a basement to your name.You're playing a fools game and gambling your marriage.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  20. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Best wishes to Jeanne on her tumor, I'm still dealing with mine.

21. Dwight 51

Dwight 51

Met my wife almost 20 yrs ago on a blind date, we were married about 9 months later, and NO that's not the reason we got married. My hobby at the time was collecting & rebuilding old hit & miss engines. She found out about one I was planning to buy from a friend, and bought it for me as a wedding gift:) We have been on many trips together to bring more engines home, she doesn't mind getting dirty helping load stuff either. I guess growing up next to and working on her grandparents farm was a good thing.
    My car projects include a 69 Mustang Mach 1, 66 Mustang coupe (which I won't discuss on this forum) & the Model A coupe I need to get home.

I also won't bring up the wooden caboose that she helped me take apart, and move to our place, it was in really rough shape too. Her exact words when I asked about getting it were - Well you don't have one !!
    I'm happy to say that I could'nt have a more supportive wife, just wish I had met her 30yrs ago.

22. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

She cool with the junk, but its the weed she bitches about

23. BenDaPirate

BenDaPirate

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> I&#8217;ve gotten luckier with my wife as the years have gone by. She knew I had a car addiction but I don&#8217;t think she realized how big until after we were married. Project after project came and I could sense her getting more nervous and agitated. So I sold some projects, did some side work, and scrimp and save when possible. Side money is car money. Unless she&#8217;s cool with it and we can afford it after all bills are paid, our money doesn&#8217;t go towards the car. I don&#8217;t wear the name brand fancy clothes, I don&#8217;t go out drinking (safer to be home anyways lol), I put her, our family (soon to be growing this May), and our home first. I didn&#8217;t realize she accepted how it is until my birthday last December when she sent me to a Gene Winfield class!! Best. Wife. Ever.

She&#8217;s done the swap meet thing, the junkyard thing, and the car show thing. She&#8217;s not fond of the first two but she supports what I do and I support what she does. Finding a common, equal balance is key. She wants to redo the bathroom? Sure, no prob. Reorganize the closets? Sure. It needs to be a common equal understanding. I think it was hard for both of us at first, but once you get in the groove of it, it&#8217;s awesome.

24. millersgarage

millersgarage

My wife is very supportive, as long as she gets to drive every once in a while...;)

25. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Sounds to me ,you need to have a sit down with your wife. It will happen sooner or later. And generally it will then be on her turms.

26. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

100% on board. But I think her dad burned her out going to a ton of car shows when she was little. All he did was build cars all her life and now that's what I'm doing. She goes to a few shows a year but I don't think she is looking forward to it like I am.
    I spend plenty of time w/ her and she is happy.
    As for the money most of it comes from my overtime, or something else I sell.

27. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Been married 46 years this year, met my wife while I was riding submarines, knew her two weeks and we ran off and got married. Somethings are meant to be. She knew I was car crazy back then was driving a '65 fastback vette with 425 hp 396. But she quilts and I support her hobby, new computerized sewing machines are like buying a set of magnesium wheels, so things are good. I am damn lucky the old cosmic tumblers locked on this relationship!

28. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Weird how they "marry their dads", eh? My wife's dad isn't a car guy, but he's a maker/builder/doer (like me - the difference is in the materials used), a musician (like me) and a outdoors guy (like me).

Birds of a feather, eh?

29. I wouldn't dream of hiding a purchase from my wife. Afterall she is my partner and friend in addition to being my wife. I always tell her when I need/want to get something for a project. I do cars period, I don't fish, hunt, drink, go to clubs or anything of that nature.

In 2000 when I was laying on the driveway in a fine rain repairing my daily driver in order to get to work the next day she said "you need a shop". I told her it would cost about $15k to build one and she told go ahead, "we have the money". So I have a 30x40 insulated steel building in the backyard. It now has my lathe, mill, sheetmetal shear, press rake, TIG welder, Mig welder, blast cabinet, etc. in it along with my current project ('49 AD truck). She knows every cent I spend on the hobby and I don't ignore her needs or wants either.

A lot of guys seem to think their marriage is more of a drudge than a blessing. I will celebrate 38 years this summer with my bride while we are on a cruise. We went on our first cruise this last Thanksgiving and she was crazy about it, so we booked another one for this summer.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

And the downside is ??????????:D:D

Don