Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Buick...opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evilkazeevil, Dec 8, 2011.

1. MistShift

MistShift

Throw a complete Camaro sub under it, and let the ol' man cruise around with PS, PB and a mill he doesn't haveta worry about finding parts/someone to fix it when he's out and about.

2. ^^^^That's kinda what I have been leaning torwards. I mean, I am usually a little more a traditionalist than that, but this is for the old man and that's how he likes it.

3. CharliesChopShop

CharliesChopShop

Hey, I'm in the process of doing the same thing for the wife. I finally went with a running s-10 frame swap. I know NOT COOL but the are cheap and it had the same track width& wheel base . I've slid the stock s-10 floor back about 12-14 inches and added 3" square tubing on the out side of the rockers to the inside or the car rockers( mine were real bad!). That will mount bucket seats if he wants. I kept almost all of it I even reused the column but switched the brake bracket out for an older Buick with short rod to booster. I'll post some pic once I finish the firewall.

4. Cool, sounds like you've got a plan. I have the Buick stripped, front clip off, measured it all out, got a Camaro clip, which would have worked, measured it all out, marked my cuts, then said screw it, I can't do it. I will upgrade all the suspension components, possibly change it over to R&P steering, definitely disk brakes, I have an old Impala tilt and telescopic wheel that looks a little more traditional than these plastic covered things, and I will still use the small block and 700r4, I just couldn't bring my self to subframe it when it came down to it. Guess that is why I always try to talk the other people I do it for out of doing it.......lol

5. CharliesChopShop

CharliesChopShop

I don't know about a 54' but the bushing for a 56' were crazy high then theirs disk. One of the other things was the gear selector it was something like P D21 N R I was afraid that she would forget and put it in Drive a tried to back up. Or worse would be me trying to do a burnout in whats normally 1st and would be in Reverse (American Graffiti ).

6. MrEarl

MrEarl

Kazee, how is the 54 Buick coming along.

7. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

doing my wife's 54 right now 9" ford and 700r4.

Attached Files:

8. MrEarl

MrEarl

Sounds cool Willie, do you have a thread going on it, would love to hear more. We have added a Customs, Rods and Mods to the 1954 Buick Highway, why don't you post it up there, would love to hear more. I'm itchin to get started on a lil 54 Special period correct rod. Got a McCullough Supercharger w/Edmunds dual Carter quad set up all ready for it.