Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need heat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnnylonghair, Jan 12, 2012.

1. johnnylonghair

johnnylonghair

Looking for a heater with defrost unit for my 48 GMC. Its gonna be cold driving to Detroit. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Become an alliance member and search the hamb o dex. Gotta be someone in there that can help you out, and at a discount to boot!

3. harley rider

harley rider

I found some cool vintage heaters on ebay.

4. If it doesn't have to be vintage you can get a Mojave from most catalog speed shops for about 150.00.

If you want vintage I have the one from my Willys pickup (61) that is 12V. but it needs the core repaired or replaced. I know this is not the place to sell parts so forgive the shamless spam.

5. Here is the little bugger I got, for the defroster. Vintage Air.
    Gen II Heater with Defrost and Servo Door Control + Three Knob Control Panel
    Gen II Heater with Defrost and Servo Door Control

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160691762007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    It was $218 when I bought mine.

[​IMG]

I got mine on bay, with free shipping. comes with everything you need, including a off and on water valve. Does not use Vacuum to operate the heater door back and forth from heat and defrost. Very small and compact.

6. 67-74 Ford p.u. heaters work great.

7. JustJoey

JustJoey

Find a factory heater for it.

[​IMG]

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I have a Vintage Air heater in my '40 Stude...works great. That's what I'd recommend...

R-

9. fatabone

fatabone

10. May not be a lot of them in the PA junkyards, but the 70's japanese minitrucks have a lot of small integral heater units with built-in fan and housing assy.

11. 48ford

48ford

Grab a tractor heater from tractor supply.
    They are around 8" square.
    Dont forget you will need a valve to shut off the water in the summer.( I think I used one from a chevy truck)It's cable pull to open and push to shut off.
    good luck
    Russ

12. Ford Courier (Mazda) pickups in the mid '70s have a nice compact heater with integral defroster.

13. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

i have one out of a 50 stude works great. $75 its the box type.

14. this won't help you but I made mine

I took 5 1/2 inches out of my 54 GMC firewall so the stock heater wasn't going to fit. but I was saved by my scrap pile again.the heater core was a 75 chev pick up. the box came out of some ford product and the fan I don't have a clue but it's 12 volt. it's ugly but doesn't hang below the glove box so all is good and the defrosters will work.