Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Our Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i think its a shame that your gonna hotrod it. Iv been enjoying my stocker as a daily now since august.

2. Isn't it great when all your plans work out? Happy for you. She's a fine looking lady.

Doug.

3. csimonds

csimonds

SUMBITCH! Abilene is wicked nice, and such a perfect name... Congrats
    Chuck

4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

that is a handsome car...dont no if i could cut it up....have fun...

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

great

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  6. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Part of us thinks it might be a shame too but we spent the cash to purchase the car and we want to eventually build a hot rod. I'm sure a lot of people will think its a shame but last I checked, this is a hot rod forum ... This car isnt going to be chopped tomorrow.

7. Why not, you busy tomorrow?:confused:

Joking..... Congrats! Enjoy her the way she is and have fun along the way. :D

8. oj

oj

Very Nice! and Abaline kinda rolls nicely off the tounge don't it. There is a place called 'Brattons' in maryland, all they sell is model 'a' stuff for resto shops and what they offer is a tad better quality. Give them a call and a little old lady'l answer and she'll be happy to send you a catalog. Tons of info in there.
    Let me know if you need sawzall blades, i'll send you some that don't have any teeth on them for when you do the chop thing - lol.
    Keep postin, oj

9. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

turn the lights on!!! when you get a chance, give us an outdoor shot- during the daytime........abileen...nice name new member of the family i presume....kev

10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Hey thanks guys! There is a daytime pic posted above.... Just look! Lol

11. welded78

welded78
    from ct

i just got in from the garage its now hoodless and spare tireless also removed the front bumper. how do you mount the headlights after you remove the fenders and are their other things that i will need to change if i remove the fenders? thanks for the help.

12. I cut up a bent stock light bar and made mounts for my pickup, when I feel like running it around without fenders.....but if you want to order up a mount, speedway sells a few that work out ok....there are usually a few up for sale on ebay also.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-headlight-mount.html

If you want to remove the splash shield, you may need to unbolt the body to get it out. Thats what I had to do to get the one off of my truck.

Sorry, no pictures to post, I usually end up working alone so its hard to weld and take pics at the same time.

13. model eh

model eh

As a Driver of a 30 A Coupe who just got back from 6 States, Wash, Or, CA, NV, AZ & ID with 4 232 miles Get out and have fun. Glad you got such a nice car.
    BUT Please don't be like so many , leave the Model A Grill alone. I hate seeing a Model A fitted with a 32

14. One of the visuals on how SOME traditional hotrods look is to have the center of the headlight to be at the same height as the top of the front tires. Not all will agree, but it's the way I tried to build mine.
    I cut a stock headlight bar and saved 5 pieces to weld up my dropped bar.
    patrickmoran1966 on the damn photobucket because I'm too tired to go find the link and do the hokey pokey.
    I will say that after bringing back a JUNK 29 Tudor body, it makes me have a soft spot for a stone stock A. In my opinion, some nice, solid cars need to be left alone while we take lesser stuff and modify it to our liking. Ford won't be building any new ones any time soon.
    With that said, I wish I the opportunities to have the same solid car to work with. Have fun with however the car is modified, make it yours.

15. Nice starter Model A. It's always better to get a car you can drive and work on at the same time. I just picked up a '30 coupe a few months back too (see my avatar). The PO had put 4" drop axle, big and little's, Kelsey-Hayes wires, '40 Ford brakes front/back, put a high compression head on the 4 banger and bored it out, put a Mitchell overdrive unit in, and put a louvered hood on it. I will need to put in an interior in it and I plan on changing out the rumble seat to a trunk and changing the grill shell to a '32 along with some other odds and ends to make the way I like it. My car sits nice and cruises fine with the banger. Anyway, have fun with the car and keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!

16. OK, now i hate you two. :D
    Congrats, im jealous. Seriously though, great score, and sounds like this will be another keeper.
    Another model A in the club. Awesome. :cool:

17. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Congrats on the Coupe! I had the same plan with mine, I wanted to find the nicest car to start with too. My '30 is also unrestored, rust free AZ car, one repaint in the 40s, etc. I tell you what though, after driving the hell out of mine I'm not going to hot rod it. I found a more suitable car for that. This isn't an anti-hot rod rant, but I'd atleast enjoy that thing before you blow it apart! :cool:

[​IMG]

18. welded78

welded78
    from ct

im sure i speak for the both of us thank you all for the comments and advice and for now any playing i do will be simple and easily reversible . im sure winter will start now for us because we want to get out and enjoy the new toy.

19. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

no need to worry; the grill is going to stay with the car. We too, get sick of seeing the 32 grills on a non '32 car.

20. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

21. boutlaw

boutlaw

Great starting point with a good plan. Good to see another coupe in progress.

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I think you need to have Kathy DeBruin take photos of your cars

23. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

24. Nice coupe. Hot Rodding it, sounds like the proper next step as the car evolves into your personal idea of what it should be. Hell, there are plenty of stock originally done Model A's to keep the purist happy, if not let them buy their own. Good score.

25. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Good for you !
    Good luck with your plans, hope to see you out with it at one of the car shows one day.

26. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

It's okay to leave them stock in my book if you like. I won't look down at you. Might even be fun.

Feb. 1958 Rod and Custom...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

wow Saxon...thats pretty neat! definately some inspiration!

28. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If only you could build it for the same price as they did in 58!:eek::p Just sharing.

I think your guys car is awesome already.

29. brad2v

brad2v

Very cool, too bad about the '36, but better to be on the road driving than in the garage dreaming.

30. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I get the whole " a car is only stock once" ideal. . . but if you're going to chop up a car and make it a hot rod you might as well start with the most solid car you can find.

Who wants to cut and weld rusty metal?

I can respect a stock '30's car, but I will never own one. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.