Register now to get rid of these ads!

*MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Cool Christmas card!

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you Kindly 64 DODGE! I thought our Christmas greeting should be posted for all my H.A.M.B. friends across the globe! :D

3. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Thank You Most Kindly - Sir - Y'all are showing life in our America is still out there!

4. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Stay in the spotlights glow....

[​IMG]

See if you can spot the difference...

5. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

I'll get some more tomorrow when I am out there and working on it again...

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

Here are a few that Chis took of his new spotlight bracket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, That spotlight is the Cat's MEOW ! Like the bracket Chris came up with. Simple but very functional.

Dave

8. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hi Dave...

How is Bernice doing? Hope you had a better New Years then Christmas was, hope 2012 treats you guys good. Thanks for the compliment on the spot light bracket. I like the Keep It Simple, Stupid method. Works For me!!

............................................................................................................

Well everyone here's this weekends progress, actually a whole weeks worth of work (I had the week between Christmas and New Years off! Yeah!!!)

[​IMG]

That spot light bracket turned out real nice. I switched out my hardware on it to brass acorn nuts to day, for the last time.

At last I think I am there... I am now ready for paint prep... actually the whole car is ready to start working over for paint.

Yahoo!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This weekend I finished the spot light mount, hood is done and waiting for the hinges to come on January 6 or 7. Then my Father-in-law Jim and I are going to rivet the hood together. We finished bolting the foot rail to the floor for the passenger, mounted Clayton's Christmas present to me, on the steering column (a switch box from about 1910-'12 for a big car), cleaned the car all up. So now I am ready to start pulling it apart for paint prep.

[​IMG]

I need to get Clayton to help me get it running so I can start it on my own...The Special is still having some carb issues...... maybe it's just me....

...Paddison....Paddison....Paddison....HELP!!!!

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, Really looking forward to the completion of the Speedster. It will sure be a great way to remember your Dad. The sun will really be shining on that day.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  10. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Yup Dave I can't wait either! I often wonder if this cat might have been too much for him to handle. I think dad would have enjoyed driving it!!!

11. Hey buddy
    Too cool for school. I'll have to come back for a second look.

Thanks for the link
    Benno

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

No prob! :D Thanks for that. This car has our heart and soul in it...and it has been a blast to see it all come together.

13. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Very sorry to read of his passing during the project. But the gesture is beyond nice and the car is awesome.

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

We are too. He was a great guy, a wonderful teacher and a good friend...Chris and I are both sorry he never got to see it.

Cars were his life, and he believed in using them as well as restoring them. They were used for shows, Sunday drives, family vacations and road trips, etc and he put 100,000 miles on all of them for almost 50 years. When his mobility issues impeded him from even driving his reliable ol' Model T...it hit him hard...and he made mention of it to me.

That was goal of this build...give him a "toy" that he could still play with :)

Thank you kindly.

15. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Not only did he loved the old cars but he also like to mentor others in how restore or refurbish their old wrecks .Our shop is an extension of My dad as we help each other on our projects. Clayton is a product of that and it is an honor to work with him on this project. Hope to start painting it puke green in the near future!!!

16. SaucyNordicTart

SaucyNordicTart

It is a little on the puke green side, or maybe grasshopper green? ;) Doesn't matter what color it is, it's a beautiful car and you guys are doing an amazing job on it. I love the way it sounds :D

17. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

MrsModelT, I didn't see MrModelT giving you a ride in the Special though, the kids looked like they where having fun...

18. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Well quick update...

Our Friend Tim Williams brought his Speedster out to extend his hand crank and give some rides after putting on a new high compression head. The new head made the car go a little faster, from 35-40 mph up to almost 50+ mph, not too shabby for a stock high that has been planed almost a 1/4 of an inch!!

[​IMG]

I had a very little time there on Saturday as Carston had his birthday party going on Saturday afternoon. The 1904 Phare Solar spotlight bottom was just falling apart. I cut all the junk parts off and cut a new peice out to take up Jim's (my father in law, who builds high performance racing planes) to get riveted in place as well as new holes drilled for ventilation and the burner mount......

[​IMG]

Hinges got delivered on Friday afternoon . I had ordered it from Grainger and they were delivering them either Friday or Saturday. When they delivered it I thought Grainger would bring it to the shop in one of their vans. No! They used a motor freight company with '48 trailer to drop off an '8 hinge. We weren't exactly sure how the guy was going to get out of the drive way!! I got the hinges cut and started the final filing and fitting of the hoods before Thursday afternoon's riveting adventure.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finished fitting the electrical box to the steering column. Moved the monocle windshield down the column 2 3/4" to get some much needed finger clearance on the steering wheel before Clayton get's the glass cut....

[​IMG]

Fixed the carb problem we been having with a plugged up carb by changing it out for a rebuilt single barrel. Seems to get better performance with it, might run but still looking at the Stromberg 97. We ran the 97 a few times without a fuel filter and it got plugged up when we got a bad tank of fuel. Had too come up with a temporary throttle linkage and spring mount. Of course you gotta give a few rides and terrorize the neighbor hood before puttin' the "Special" away before the evening festivities!!!

[​IMG]

Finished switching out temporary hardware on the passenger foot rest. Used new stainless bolts and brass acorn nuts....

[​IMG]

I still have too mount the new upper radiator hose yet ....

[​IMG]

So between helping Mike mount his body on the frame of his '51 Chevy 2 door post and a little shop cleanup I had a really good Saturday. Clayton is just about done with his front end so we can get started on modifying the rear suspensions on both of our cars to make them ride better and hope fully get the "Special" torn apart for paint soon...

19. MrModelT

MrModelT

Excellent progress as always ma friend! The hood is looking good, those hinges are gonna be perfect.

Hopefully we can start tearing into the rear suspensions on these cars this weekend, which my goal....but no dilly dallying :D

20. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Who are you talking to?! Mr perfectionist!!!!

21. I sure enjoy following this build; I can't wait to see this car and the both of you in person again soon!!!
    Your buddy, -Fred

22. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hi Fred,

You and me both!!! How's hot rod coming along? You fing to join us going down Bonneville this August? Give me a call sometime.

23. MrModelT

MrModelT

So what if I like nice perfect work ;) :D ...just remember..we're on a schedule ;)

It has been allot of doing these updates and building this car on the HAMB..and of course being apart of this build. Chris and I look forward to your next visit!

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

25. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Dave,

Clayton just thinks he does perfect work, but I know better....sometimes it takes a rebuild to get it right. Isn't that right Clayton?!

This afternoon's progress...

[​IMG]

Started filing the edges of the hood sides and tops so they are straight.

[​IMG]

I did the first one in 45 minutes of hand filing. We'll see how the others as some of edges are way more wavy then this one was!!!

[​IMG]

26. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Dave,

I am hoping the inaugural cruise will be down to our local Dairy Queen this spring... Drive the 2 cars down to DQ and park amongst the crowd... Shut the motors off get out and get a Chocolate Extreme and watch as the regulars dissect both cars before we get a chance to to get out of DQ and visit. Seen it done each spring except never to my own car, though! Always cool to see what comes out of the garages in the spring time.

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

...guess we'll just have to change that screen name of yours to "Mr.Smartypants" now won't we? ;) :D

Agreed....sitting there, just watching their "gears turn".....priceless :D

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

your car is coming along great, thanks for all the updates.

29. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Thanks Fur Biscuit hope to have it done sooner then later you know.

30. jipp

jipp

hey guysyou ared oingso good.. reading about the light made me think of this ;

how cool is that, they was even able to quick his day job and do this full time.. and id imagine making moire money.. i think this is win/win for third world country's needing light;
    http://wimp.com/lightenup/

little of subject.. but that will put out 55wats.. i could see making a little adapter for under the hood light using smaller plastic/glass bottle maybe old coke bottle for engine light.. put the coke bottle in the trunk with the tool box and go on. eh when needed just pop open penell.. aww hell.. we have oil and fule.. nm ;d

anyhow sorry for going way off topic. such a cool car.. jealous i am.
    chris.