Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power Glide won't shift into High gear??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Dec 23, 2011.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Guys,

I think my '36 roadster hot rod is mad at me.

I have had it in storage for the last couple of months during the move to Arizona.

Anyways the combo in my roadster is '63 327 with a 2spd aluminum powerglide from an impala

Well I went to pick it up and drive it home and during the drive home it would shift into high then kick back down to low, then back up to high for a few seconds then back to low. After a few miles of driving it would not upshift into high at all??? All other gears work fine.

The fluid is at the correct the level and I put a new vaccum module on it a few years ago.

Anybody experienced the same problems?

Any ideas of things I can try or do i need a rebuild?

2. sounds like low oil supply, is level up to top of case?? good filter??

modulator or vacume problem, kickdown linkage mesed up

any that are low on tranny fluid that is the first visible symptom what you are experiencing so kiinda take it from there

3. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Ya know i did with a 61 pont what ever they call it switch pitch ,but it was a 2 speed and I hate to say this but trans x got her going and about a 30,000 more miles before some bitch rear ended her I know it sound nuts but it worked the weird part when I did a trans service on it change fluid would not work till I put it in try it ya got nothin to lose let me know

4. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

So-Cal! If the fluid is full, you have full vacuum to the modulator and the detent linkage is down at idle, the rear pump may have quit. A PG up shifts on pressure from the rear pump which is driven by the output shaft.

5. been keeping my dakota trans doctored up with some stuff 2

was thinking when it shifted and applied the drum clutch the seal could have let go and started to bled off pressure
    lost that seal on a turbo 350 a few times and lost the top gear

theres a couple places to pressure check that trans they are very simple and mostly reliable

6. Try some Lucas trans additive.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Aluminum Glides are known for bending/breaking the "rooster comb", and that is what guides the manual valve (L-D-N-R-P) of the valve body. BUT, with it sitting for a while, then acting up, the seals may have gotten hard; the "trans medic" stuff just softens the seals, and makes them swell so they seal better. Getting the trans warmed up and hot helps. Glides can work without a working vacuum modulator, not like a TH350/TH400, but it'll shift harder/earlier, but IF the diaphragm IS perforated, it'll suck trans fluid into the vacuum line=smoke. The 1-2 shift valve might not be functioning right if it's jumping back and forth between 1-2. Glides that were'nt serviced regularly get "varnished up". Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. peddlr

peddlr

Try putting a pint or so of laquer thinner in it. If it is a sticking valve it will clean it. After a short while, It will evaporate.Did this once on a 55 ford that didnt want to shift correctly. cured it real quick.

Illustrious Hector likes this.
  9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I serviced the trans a few years ago, but it may have been varnished up from all the sitting it has done recently.

I will try a service and some additive and go from there.

10. Veeee8

Veeee8

Had this problem on 62 Impala,problem was the governor,located on the tail shaft of trans.This was
    30years ago ,but I think all that was necessary was to pull tail shaft cover to see governor.The tail shaft rotates so fast ,then slings governor weights to cause trans to shift.Was pretty simple to fix. Good luck,Veeee8

11. bmbgarage

bmbgarage

Just had this problem and it turn out to be the governor gear which is plastic and was broke. To test the rear pump drive the car and get to 40 mph and turn the key off with it in gear. Turn the key back on and if the engine starts then you know the rear pump is working. Hope this helps.

12. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

no rear pump on aluminum PG and gov under tin side cap with bail cover like TH350 IIRC

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Governor is located on the rear support AND tail shaft of an aluminum Powerglide. Aluminum Powerglides had rear pumps up until 1966 when they were deleted. I still say its a gummed up 1-2 shift valve; you can block the 1-2 shift valve OPEN with a 1/4" long section of 1/4" copper tubing, and make if a full manual shift Powerglide. Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Butch you were right the ole glide was varnished up or waxed up.

I serviced the trans yesterday and the pan was dirty on the bottom and the filter had chunks of a waxy red fluid stuck in it.

I put a pint of trans conditioner along with 1.5 qts of fresh fluid and after about 2 miles of driving it was shifting fine and then the more I drive it (and it cleans itself more )the better it shifts.

Thanks for your help!

Tex

15. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

The friction plates in a automatic transmission are paper based and glued to a plate, same with the bands.

DON'T ever put laquer thinner in a automatic transmission...

16. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

What is the actual name of the "rooster comb"? As im having the same issue mine wont shift into high gear