Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 windshield wipers very weak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matt black, Jan 10, 2012.

1. matt black

matt black
    BANNED
    from u.s.

1954 Chevy 210., my wipers are just barley working. They are very weak, but its as if they're trying...anyone know what I can do to get them to full operating mode? Thanks again!

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

Its a vacuum problem if you are running the original set up. if you have an upgraded electrical one then its a bad ground.

3. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

^x2
    Check out the vaccum lines for holes or it could be a bad seal in the motor.

4. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

I had the same problem with my 54 vacuum wipers. A good friend of mine suggested I put a couple drops of brake fluid in the vacuum motor to swell up the rubber bellows in there, my wipers are much stronger than before. Try it out and let us know how it works out.

Eddie

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

5. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

That will work for a while but eventually the brake fluid will deteriorate the seal completely and it will still need to be rebuilt or replaced.

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

The vacuum wipers are notorious for becoming weak over time and needed to be rebuilt. unless you dont mind dealing with it (sometimes its worth the headaches) switch over to the electric so that you wont have the problems ever again. worst time to have vacuum problems are when you need the wipers in pouring rain...

7. I had the same problem with my vacuum wiper. I did not want to convert to electical wiper motor. I sent the vacuum motor to the Wiperman. Very happy with the results. Electrical wiper motor is approx $250. Rebuilding the vacuum motor approx $100. See the web site below for the Wiperman.

http://www.wiperman.com/

8. matt black

matt black
    BANNED
    from u.s.

Thanks a lot everybody, I'll post my fix.....