Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 chevy truck rear end hub question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lakermatt, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

Quick question.... Do you need a hub puller to take off the left hub?? It's driving me nuts and I took off all the backing plates bolts I could. Please let me know. Thanks!!

2. You have to take off the rear (center section) cover and remove the "C" clips. The axle shaft will come out, but the bearing won't. You will need to pull the bearing out after removing the axle shaft.

3. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

For the hub?? I just need to take the hub off to get to the brake pads... That seems way odd to take off that..

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Are you workng on a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton? The 1/2 ton doesn't have a hub-it's just the drum on the axle flange. If you can't get the drum off, it's probably hung on the brake shoes. If it's a 3/4 ton it has a full floating rearend and it does have hubs. You need to pull the axle ( the innermost ring of bolts) then look in the hole-you'll see a large nut which is screwed onto the axle housing snout. Very likely there is a sheet metal "lock" with ears bent over the nut. You'll need to bend them out of the way then you'll need a very large thinwall socket to reach in and remove the nut.

5. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

It's a 1/2 ton truck rear end. It is the left drum to the brakes. I have been pounding on this thing an no progress. I am sure it is hung on the brake pads because of all the shut that is coming out when I pound on it. I see the little hook and pulled it out but no luck.

6. R Pope

R Pope

I'm guessin' we have a failure to communicate! Sounds like you are trying to get the brake drum off? If so, there is a good chance the center hole is tight on the axle. Sometimes you have to split the drum with an air chisel, from the center out to a wheel stud. That relieves the choke hold and allows the drum to come off. You also have to back the brake adjustment off a bunch.

7. Try to back off on the brake shoes, there is a slot in the backing plate for this, and see if that helps. The drum might also hang up on the axle centering flange. not much you can do about that but keep on wacking and prying.

8. Lakermatt

Lakermatt
    BANNED
    from Fresno,CA

Got it off!! Thank god!!

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

No rear cover or C-clips on a '55 axle. C clips and covers didn't arrive until 1965.

10. The axle in question is in a truck, not a car.

11. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Heating the center of the drum around the axle always helps. It's usually rusted on at that point.