Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help ! Wiring old "Drive-In Speakers" to I-Pod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Feb 17, 2011.

1. QUESTION- how do i hook up old Drive -In Movie Speakers i just bought, to allow them to play with my I-Pod.

* What do i need to make this work, i heard others have done this.
    * Amplifier of some sort ??

I am going to mount the speakers on pole, next to my car at Cruise Nights/Shows etc.

2. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Ipod headset jack to pre-amp or phono input of an amplifier. Speakers to speaker outputs of amp. your drive in speakers are probably mono so you may need a Y connector if your amp doesn't have a mono output and you want to hear both channels in each speaker. You'll probably have to put together your own cables with the ends you need for whatever equipment you wind up useing. If this is going in a car do it the way Ryan did. If it's for the garage or house and you have a dock for your ipod you can pick up a cheap old amp at a goodwill or salvation army store and do it my way. I've seen a whole house wired with Juke box and drive in speakers playing from an ipod hidden behind an old amp stashed in the base of a dead but lightable jukebox in the living room.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. * More Questions:
    I want to set them up next to my car at car shows

1) What amp do i need?
    2) What power drives the set up?

5. You can run the ipod into your car radio and wire the speakers to the radio.

6. cederholm

cederholm

They sell all kinds of powered/portable speakers for iPod. Maybe gut your movie speaker and replace the inners with one of those. ....justa thought.

7. KCsledz

KCsledz

Here is what I would do. Get a 12volt to 110 converter at Radio shack or walmart. the plug into the cigarette lighter.

Gut the drive in speakers.

Get a pair of computer speakers. Take out the guts and put them in the drive in speakers.

plug the adapter into your cigarette lighter and plug in the speakers.

Simple. They already have the audio out plug and you get stereo speakers.

8. Danog

Danog

The Drive In speaker has and Transformer in it. Disconect the transformer. Wire directly to the speaker. You can use the wire from a set of headphones, but you will use only two of the wires. This set up will run The Ipods batterys down pretty fast though.

9. Good points guys-

Right, i don't run to sit at a show and run off my car battery....

I want the sound to be heard when they are mounted on their pole by us sitting in our chairs next to my car. ( THE PICTURE IS SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR WITH SIMILAR SPEAKERS )

** Do i need an amplifier of some sort? or does the I-Pod supply all i need to drive the sound?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I think you would do best to gut them and put newer speakers inside. Those old drive in speakers are really crappy.

11. Danog

Danog

I agree with Willowbilly3 a new speaker would be nice. Amp not that nessary, unless you want to blast it.

12. KCsledz

KCsledz

Any speaker WILL require a power source to be heard. Batteries or an extension cord. They WILL NOT run off of your iPod without a power source. So at a show you WILL need to either run them through a power converter off of your car battery or wire up a battery of some sort to power the speakers. Your iPod has power enough to run HEADPHONES all other speakers need a power source.

13. Don't forget the crybaby doll, window tray with plastic food and matching monogrammed nylon his n hers windbreakers................

14. You read my mind...but forgot the poodle skirt.

15. I KNEW I was missing something!:D

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

just so ya know,, when I go to a car show,, I dont want to hear your music.

you guys forgot about the huge stuffed animals.

17. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Try this forum -- these guys build speakers and can point you in the right direction. Parts-express sells a nice "T-amp" that can be powered by dry-cell batteries and might be the trick for what you need.

Do a search -- someone may have done this and posted how they did it.

18. I could get the humor in if if he played Death Metal or Punk or some 80s Speed Metal? Racer X anyone!? Long live Dayglo Ibanez's!!!!!!!!!

19. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

20. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

nah,, even if your music is my music,, I don't wanna hear it.

21. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

they are totally right, fuck your music! its probably rockabilly or punk! They hate that here! I cant even name just one that will enjoy this. play whatever you got as loud as you can!

22. Is this one of those car shows where the the car with the most DVD players in it gets best of show?

23. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

i own this! tvs in evvrything, visors, headrests doors, bed .engine bays. tag bays, eery wheer actually! I used to be a mini truck guy. Ha ha, i love this place!

24. 51MercSuicide

51MercSuicide
    from Kansas

Fordstandard did you get your original question answered. I just did this with a 1950's radio for my girl. Plenty of parts available to do it u haven't PM me and I'll hook you up!