Register now to get rid of these ads!

any advise for my 1951 Mercury project?

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Vlopez22, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Happy New Year and please to be a new member, i heard great stories and I'm excited to learn new things and meet great people with advise and expierance.

Hello, I just want to introduce myself and please to say owner of 1951 Mercury project, its already chopped and shaved, it has no interior and I just added a 2004 Chevy LS truck engine and transmission, as well as a camero front clip, any advise please feel free, its my first build, thank you and happy new year. Victor from Southern California

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. brianj

brianj

good luck- done several camero clips and was very happy with the results. You managed to cut the roof on a 51 merc at home- you are a better man than me. A model a chop is about my limit.

3. Nice, are you driving it? What fuel system did you use?

My only advice is have fun, and take your time making decisions.

4. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Thanks fellas, the Merc is not running yet but soon it will, still got a lot of work before it starts running : (.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

5. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

here are some pictures of my 1951 Mercury project, as you can tell I got a lot of work ahead of me : ), any good websites or any advise can I can get parts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. Looks like you'll have it on the road for summer.
    You putting any side glass in it?
    What's with the paint? Looks very flat/ornge peel in the pictures?
    Is that just a base coat?
    Like to see a couple profile pics when you get it outside. The chop looks good from what I can see.

7. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

First going to have it bag clip, then clip, motor, then rear end, then frame off, head lights, grill, tail lights, install new brake booster, then door poppers and install front glass and side glass , then interior, and last but not least the Paint. Chopped51 thats just the primer paint not even close to getting painted, any advise for the interior?

8. Interior? Nope. That's a very personal thing. That's where you live. Mines wayyyyyy over the top.

9. Just Gadget

Just Gadget

welcome aboard!

10. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

ok chopped I will keep doing my research, and thank you Just Gadget, I'm glad to finally onboard.

11. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

12. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Welcome....Looks like a kool car...Goodluck

13. low merc51

low merc51

Welcome ,,,,,,got to love the MERC'S !!!!!!!!

14. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Thanks Chopnweld and Lowmerc50 feels like a family here, do you guys have any advise for my project.

15. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

thats right low merc51

16. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

If you need any input feel free to PM me; so many here have helped me. If you need a builder, reach out to slddnmatt, just east of you in Riverside.

17. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

looks like it used to be a 4 door...

18. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

no its a 2 door

19. WOW! The roof looks really short...kinda like a Merc Business Coupe. Need to see some better pic's to give you some ideas or suggestions. Front shot,rear shot,side shot.
    Look at the HAMB Merc Club thread and pro stock John did a thread on Merc parts sources.

20. Honestly....if it were mine,i'd cut that roof off and put a Carson top on it. Looks like whoever chopped it didn't know what they were doing. Unless your okay with it.

21. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Bob still needs a lot of work its just the beginning, long road ahead of me, more pics to come.

22. It doesn't look bad. I've seen much worse cars to start with.

23. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

thanks for you opinion Bod but don't like carson tops on mercs and so far happy with the chop thanks again : )

24. I'd like to see it in person...

25. tejas34

tejas34

Welcome Fellow Merc Owner!!!

Looks like you've got it under control. Looks goooooooooood

I am building a 51 Conv. Check it out at http://www.rustynutscarclub.com

Good Luck...

John S

26. 1951mercury

1951mercury
    from Illinois

then ya i think the roof just got cut too short...doesnt look terrible tho. just get out and drive it soon!

27. welcome aboard man here to help if you need anything just PM me. I do have quite abit of parts for these cars and a few parts cars too. Again welcome

28. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

I'm looking for a front seat, bench, split bench for my 51 Merc any suggestions?

29. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Hello fellow H.A.M.B, I would like my hood louvered on my 51 Mercury and I'm wondering if you guys know anyone in the Los Angeles area, that you guys highly recommend. Just out of curiosity, what is a fair price? thanks for your opinion. Also I'm going to install power windows and looking for a great kit for my Merc any suggestions?

30. robleticia

robleticia

Welcome from Texas!!!