Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dug out the slot cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purple, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Matthew

Matthew
    from Burien, WA

Very cool! I wish I still had my stuff from when I was young; I've been trying to find some stuff on the ol' craigslist since they don't make 'em anymore... my son would dig 'em...

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Old slot car sets are the best!

3. I have my grandfathers set my mom got him when she was a kid. I've used it over the years, but I really need more space to set it up and leave it up. Gotta love the mustang vs the gto.

Attached Files:

4. exterminator

exterminator

Whats the best way to clean the tracks? Steel wool? Dug out my old set out and the cars wouldn't run until i started cleaning with steel wool-then the tires came off due to becoming old.Trip to the hobby store i guess.

5. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

We still race ours and have a blast.

My Buddy Jim's Track. I strapped my GoPro camera to the top of one of my cars.

My Buddy Keith's Track

My track back in '08

My track since '09 but still looks the same.

6. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

NOOOOOOOOOO!

Steel wool is the WORST stuff you can use. The real fine pieces will sucked up by the motor magnets and kill the car. You will NEVER get them all out. What kind of track do you have? Some of the 1/32 scale tracks had plated rails. If you use something too abrasive it takes the plating off. The cars will still run, but real erradict. Most HO tracks can be cleaned with an eraser. I use a "painters block" from the hardware store. It is a piece of stiff foam with with real fine sandpaper on it. Once the rails are nice and shiny I spray very sparingly WD40 onto a microfiber towel and clean the track. Then I go over it with Windex.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

7. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Aurora K&B cars are way kool!!! If you want to improve the handling of the cars that has deteriorated due the tires drying out, there are silicone replacements available at a reasonable cost.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

8. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

What scale are you looking for? In HO Auto World still makes the pancake style Tuff-Ones, AFX Magna-Traction and Magna-Traction Specialty chassis.

www.autoworldslotcars.com

Auto World is also releasing new 1/24 and 1/32 scalew slot car kits. I am anxiously waiting for the Batmobile and Green Hornet cars in 1/32!!!

In 1/32 there are several companies making tons of different styles. They even make digital sets that allow you to run more then one car on a lane!!

Try
    www.slotcarjohnnies.com (He also has NOS vintage stuff)

www.motorcitytoyz.com

www.professormotor.com

Marty
    Marysville, OH

9. exterminator

exterminator

Have a Tyco ho size car set with the 57 chevy and 40 coupe from the 1990s.Thanks for the tip.

10. Any wayto soften up sponge tires ? No one makes replacements for the dyna brute ho car I have.

11. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

In th ol' days we used to use oil of wintergreen. I used to buy it at the drugstore. I don't know if it is available anymore. There are replacement tires available from a few cottage industry guys. They are making silicone coated sponge tires. You have to buy them as a set with wheels and tires. If you axle is not compatable, replacement axles are also available. The CobraMite is from the "Brass War" area, just before the magnet cars came in. Try here:

http://www.riggenho.com/

If they can't help, they may know someone that can. They are also a source for you pick up shoes.

You can try that online auction site and look for AJ's, TwinnK, or just do a search for silicone tires. There are a couple sellers that make their own wheels and tires.

I have one CobraMite. It is NOS still in the box. I got rid of the others I had because I did not have the patience to try and get it to run competitively. Mine is a King Cobra. What body is on yours?

Good luck!

Marty
    Marysville, OH

12. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I went to look at some HO cars and track for sale and ended up buying these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WOO-HOO!!!!

These are bodies made by Jo-Han just for slot cars. They took their regular model kit mold and added a flat interior. They also did the Chrysler Turbine car, AMC Marlin and an Olds Toronado.

These frame are Dynamic. The white/blue #44 has a Strombecker HEMI in it! Yeah, it's got a HEMI!

I'll take some pictures of the other cars I got.

Marty
    Marysville, OH

13. indybail

indybail

When I was about four my Dad got me a Strombecker set with a Ferrari TR250 and a D-Type Jag. My Mom would yell at him because he wouldn't let me play with it with him. Said I was to young. lol

14. [​IMG][​IMG]Thought it's a Porsche, not sure. The rear gear & hub are one piece & smaller then other hubs.

15. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

Here's the track I race at it's a flat 6 lane oval. we run a bunch of different classes based off the Parma "Womp" chassis including a "Islip Classics" class with coupes and sedans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-9aYp6MTs

and here's my latest project. 1935 Chevy sedan modified 1/24th scale slot car

Attached Files:

16. while on the subject, does anyone know if the sets came with different cars and pieces. I found the same set on ebay with different cars and controllers then mine. The box and paperwork all look the same as mine, also if you look at my box it has room for the pistol type controllers and 1 bigger car. Either they sold different stuff in the sets or they stuff I have is replacements.

17. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

Wintergreen oil is still available. I bought some last summer for $11 a bottle. Another secret liquid to use is good ol Rosonol lighter fluid.

Not sure about the H.O guys but on the 1/32 cars I run, I use permatex clear silicone on my old foam tires. They hook up really well.

18. Firecat7

Firecat7

hey the slots are koool!did this as a kid 45 years ago.lol..was awesome.learned tosolder by age 10..lol.....when i get photo setup on computer will have to send pix of mine,mostly dirt modifieds, and a scratch built 57 plmouth wagon twin inline engine. lol.yup no faster than a single,but that age who knew? lol

19. 91bluecamaro

91bluecamaro

Heres a couple I picked up when I was stationed in Germany 1:32 scale SCX

Attached Files:

20. derbydad276

derbydad276

there are 3 shops near me Im looking into
    friday night drag racing with 1/24 scale cars

21. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  22. gregsnovas

gregsnovas

oh boy... i havent looked at mine in 5 years i still have alot of 1/24 stuff and there is still a track close by. i know if i go its an easy 200 bucks in buying the new cool stuff
    lol

i lost most of my H.O. scale stuff. i should of took it when i moved out of my parents

23. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

Great video! :cool: It's great to get the kids in on it. I know my son loves to race our slot cars. With the music and old film effect it was like watching a cop car chase on Adam12. LOL!

24. Can you post a still shot of the complete layout, looks like alot of detal in that track. Good job.

25. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

This is the best I got for now:

[​IMG]

this one shows the whole thing from the side in 4 sections, but it's REALLY wide:

http://home.comcast.net/~rwurtz/images/4ln1103mix.JPG

The landscaping... well, it's better than it was, but compared to what some of the hardcore train set guys do, it looks like a 9-year-old did it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--rick

26. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

Got two 1/24 wood ovals and a dragstrip in the shop...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wood