Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's getting cold out, how do you heat your garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Sweet thanks for posting it.

2. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

I have had no draft issues, My chimney runs all the way through the top barn and out the roof, within 10 ft of the peak. Most of it is metal insulated, like on some woodburners stacks. The last 15' is standard b-vent. When I first started burning fuel oil, I tried blowing the exhaust out the back of the building, that was dumb-didn't work.

3. Dodgeramman13

Dodgeramman13

we never had nothing fancy we just use a salamander and karo powerd space heaters nothing better

4. I wear corduroy and walk around the car a lot- the noise is ridiculous so I crank the tunes!:rolleyes:

5. indyjps

indyjps

80K BTU downdraft. 30 x 44 - 14 ft wall R19

bought 3 furnaces all 4 years old out of a remodel house for $450. got mine free and made $ on the deal

6. blt2go

blt2go

180,000 btu reddy heater on diesel. 48" 1.5hp fan in front of it. warms a 50x75 meuller pretty darn good. also a 150,000 btu forced air unit on gas for make up heat to the booth. wish heat was cheaper, but would rather heat than try to cool.

7. barslazyr

barslazyr

I built this last winter, Heats an uninsulated 24x30 shop from 30 deg. to 80 deg. in about 20 min. I also added a used oil tank so we can burn oil and wood.

Attached Files:

8. TimeWarpF100

TimeWarpF100

Got a little warm in shop today and actually turned on the A/C for about an hour! I did add a A/C-Heat Pump but last few weeks have not needed it as 70+ in shop.

I prefer natural gas heating.

9. Drewski

Drewski

I've been heating with this Ashley Imperial wood burner since the 80's. I usually go out early and get the fire started and by the time I've had my morning coffee the shop is starting to warm up. This stove is fairly airtight so it holds a fire for a long time before I have to reload it. It has a blower that switches on automatically when the stove reaches a certain heat level.

[​IMG]

Drew

10. Clik

Clik

Dusty,

That thing looks like it belongs in Dr. Frankenstein's lab.

I think you've added enough heat sinks thaat you could vacation for a week and not worry about the shop getting cold.

11. mcknight05

mcknight05
    from Ontario

a little coal stove from a train caboose. or atleast thats what i was told. heats my 10 by 20 alright . you get lots of excersize trying to keep it fed with wood.

Attached Files:

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used to use kerosene torpedo heaters, but they suck, dirty, and bad smell. This fall I went to Menards and bought a 45,000 BTU hanging heater designed for garages. I have about $800 total in this, gas pipe, flue, etc. This works great. I keep the thermostat at 50, when I get off work, I turn it up to 60-65, and keep plenty warm. My garage is 24x30, and is very well insulated:)

13. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

Ceiling hung propane ducted furnace in downstairs shop.Upstairs has an airtight woodstove.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

In my shop at work
    I built a giant wood burner 36 wide - 48 deep - 28 tall all ½ plate sides - ¾ plate top - 5’ pipe legs and a 8 inch pipe for exhaust w damper.
    Iv had the top to just under 900 degrees

15. I use a combination of in-floor (hot water boiler) heat and a natural gas hot air ceiling heater. My shop is well insulated so that even at -10 to -20 below I have no problem keeping it nice and warm with just the ceiling heater. I keep the thermostat set at 52*, costs $50 a mo. to heat, (30'X40' w/14' walls.) I haven't used the floor heat in 3 yrs cause the floor is always comfortable too. :)

16. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

gas heat for the shop...whiskey for me

17. No Plan

No Plan

Don't know the actual cost of the heat, but I insulated under my floor before I it was poured (2" 250 rated)(that alone was $2000) (36'x64'x10'), 6" in side walls, and 10 or 13" in ceiling, a 14 x 64 x 7 room above the ceiling, no windows, & 2 very well insulated 8 x 18 overhead doors. N.gas fired 75 gal commerical hot water heater for heat source w/ 2000' of pex tubing in the floor, 2 zones, but I use it as 1. Built the everything myself except I bought the truses,inside is all finish painted sheetrock, dug the 4' footings & poured the floor in 2 pours, paid a guy to finish the floor(trowel the top) w/ cedar on the sides w/ the oh door & on 1 end. 200 amp service. I think I've got about $45000 in it w/ no $ for labor. Hope this helps, it 2 degrees this morning & 66 inside the garage with a toasty warm floor. I LOVE it!

18. Willy301

Willy301

My buddy uses one, it feeds pellets fine, but he runs 50/50 corn and pellets. He has to put some oyster shell grindings mixed in to keep the corn feeding. It doesn't take much, in fact, too much is as bad as not enough. Also makes it necessary to clean out more often, but not too big of an issue...

19. bobjob55

bobjob55

out here in southern Arizona ,,, it's still 70-75 during the day ,,,,, and 50's during the nite .... if it gets into the 40's,,, i guess i may have to get into my long johns and keep a jacket handy ... summer will be bad for us .. hard to stay cool ....

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Fur-lined clothing.

[​IMG]

21. BashingTin

BashingTin

Nope, she's bolted to the stand, and then the stand is bolted to the wall. It's lifted up 18" off the floor because of code. The furnace is rated to only need 3" of clearance on the sides and back.

I built the place myself, and where I live, codes and inspections are stricter than most parts of the country.

David

22. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5bs85QJvhk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/URL

23. bedfordboys

bedfordboys
    from bedford va

Waste oil, had a wood stove but it's nice to have instant heat.

Attached Files:

• 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      147.9 KB
      Views:
  24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Torpedo heaters really suck. I used to use one, they put out way too much soot, and smell bad. This fall I went to the local Menards store and bought a hanging gas heater designed for garages. I bought the 45,000 BTU unit. I have aroung $700 installing it, heater, gas pipe, and venting. The thing works great, I keep the thermostat on 50, when I get off work I turn it to 60-65, and I am plenty warm. My garage is 24/30, and is well insulated. I am really happy with the heat.

25. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I have 1200 sf in Maine, 10' ceilings, 2x6 walls,22" floor truss FULL of blown in insulation. I use a small kerosene Toyo wall unit and a wood stove. I heat it to 50 all the time and burn wood to bring it to 70....t shirt weather! I spend 400 on kerosene and about 100 on wood.....I am a carpenter so I burn a lot of scraps and hardwood flooring stuff. Comfortable....that kerosene heater blowing indoors is NOT good for your health at all! OSHA has banned their use indoors.

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used to use a torpedo heater, too many fumes and soot. This fall I went to the local Menards store and bought a hanging gas heater designred for residential garages. It was the 45000 BTU unit. Total cost of everything I used was around $700. I have the thermostat set around 50, and turn it up to 60-65 when I get off work. I love having nice clean heat in my garage. My garage is 24x30, and is well insulated

27. Last Hoorah

Last Hoorah

28x30 garage, heated by whole house hot air oil burner, given to me by a friend. Pulled out of a home when the oil company he works for replaced it .Heats up the garage in no time!

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Wood, and propane

250 Gallon oil drum converted into a wood burning furnace, and a few propane sunburst burners to cut the chill before the wood burner gets going

32x30 x11 insulated shop , it never gets to freezing inside without heat, but its nice when after an hour with the wood going, it heats up to a comfortable temp to work in

29. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

I use a heat pump system to cool and heat my shop.

30. Ruiner

Ruiner

I was given my grandpa's Co-op forced air torpedo heater...in my rented 30x40 shop with 9' ceilings and full insulation and the ceiling paneled I went from 20 degrees to 55 degrees out there in 12 minutes...it's a 250,000btu unit and it sucks through diesel like you're flushing a toilet, but good God does it warm the shop fast ;)...I added an inline thermostat to it and it keeps me at a toasty 55 degrees while it was -26 below zero yesterday with the wind chill...