Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 Grenade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by g-lover51, Jan 2, 2012.

1. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

So I was cruising to a machine shop then parts store today in my 40 Chevy. The clutch went out in my shop truck and seeing as it was a nice day I figured what the hell, I will roll in the 40. It has what was supposed to be a rebuilt 235 out of a 54 Chevy. I have put maybe 1500 miles on it sine being in my car. It has always had a tapping noise that I thought was valve chatter. I have adjusted the valves and it seemed to quiet it down. It never had great oil pressure being a full pressure system however. It always ran at about 20psi at highway speed and about 7psi at an idle. I have been concerns about this but could never diagnose why. I have pulled the pan and checked the oil pump as well as pulled the side cover to check the pickup line. Everything worked as it should.

Well today the tapping turned into a knock and as I turned around to head home the poor little 235 blew up leaving parts on the road. Now like I said it was supposed to be a rebuilt motor. Oh well looks like a new engine is in store for the 40. Good thing I still have he 53 to cruise in.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1325556502.789699.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1325556544.431666.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1325556597.128620.jpg

Semper Fidelis

2. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Though I have not rebuilt engines for a living, I am considered fairly knowledgable on these matters. In my semi professional opinion yore moter is broke.

3. Panama Red

Panama Red

Ouch! That's gotta be ugly on the inside. I bet I know what happened - two pistons tried to trade holes!

4. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Thanks dude. I needed a good laugh.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That first pic is cool, in a sad way.

6. 50styleline

50styleline

7. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah, a feller ought to laugh about it it when the only alternative is to cry about it. The last 235 I had developed a "small valve system tap" that actually turned out to be a wrist pin knock. It made a hell of a mess.:eek:

8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

You sure that's a 235and not a 261? There are captains bars above your starter. I have heard that some 235's had these bars. I don't know offhand how different the bearing clearances, torque values and sequences of the head, spark plug differences, oil pump differences,etc. would be enough to contribute to blowing that mill. When the valves are set correctly it should sound (the valve assembly) like a sewing machine.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The 235 that is in my 37 is making a noise that sounds like a loose valve and goes away when the #2 plug wire is pulled so that might happen to me,its been making that noise for a few years so who knows when it will go. I would like to see some pics of what happened when you get it torn down.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, when you kill one you do a bang up job of it. I don't know about back there but around here the heads off those bring good money so don't give that away.

They said it was "rebuilt" They just didn't say "when" or how many miles and years it had since or how complete the rebuild was.

Time now for more power!!!!!:)

11. SlickRick83

SlickRick83
    from merced

I've nere seen a 235 with those top mounting bolts.

12. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Well to be honest I had never noticed the captains bars. I was told it was a 235 and had no reason not to believe it. I am going to save the head and intake and exhaust. Now for the search. Any one in the eastern north Carolina are have a solid 235 for sale?

Thanks every one I will take pics of the tear down.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think alot of people do not know the 261s were ever made,I had no clue about them when I was building my 37 until it was done and on the road.

14. The coil is upside down. This allowed all of the spark to leak out and went down the plug wires and hydro-locked the cylinders and cracked the block........................................................................................................................................................................................:)

Just trying to bring a smile to your face brother, thank you for your service. I really wish my family and I could help you out in some other way than a dumb-ass joke, TR

15. jalopy45

jalopy45

Send a message to CNC-Dude , he's in your area and on this board and I believe he has a pretty good stock of inline engines.

16. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Yours is a ticking time bomb!!! :eek:

17. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

All '52-'54 blocks had that configuration.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

[QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7303061]Yours is a ticking time bomb!!! :eek:[/QUOTE]
    If it goes its time for a 324 Olds and hydro.

19. hot_rod_bones

hot_rod_bones
    from topeka, ks

the oil pressure has me kind of concerned. i have heard people needing to tweak the oil pickup just a little so its not sitting right on the bottom. as soon as they do that the oil pressure is where it should be. just a small after thought.

20. "Rebuilt" doesn't always mean the same thing to the seller as it does the buyer.

21. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Been there, blown that... My 235 busted a cam. the lobe in the center started to fall down to the oil pan, but only made it half way before the crank counterweight came around, and tried to send the lobe out the side of the block. Made it half way, putting a crack down the length of the block. This of course STOPPED everything except one piston that just kept going. Bent the rod like a hockey stick, ripped the rod cap from the crank, and slashed a big nasty hole in the bottom of the oil pan. Whatta' noise.

22. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

For what it's worth... I've blown up more than one 235 in my life:eek: Usually after extended highway running at higher rims, but the last one, in a '60 El Camino, decided to come apart while idling in the drive way.... Blew a hole in the drivers side of the block big enough to stick your fist in...

I have a 261 now and love it. Big difference in power and torque between it and a 235. If you like your inline I'd recommend trying to find a complete 261 to rebuild for your '40.

Check out Inliners International website. Lots of casting number information that will let you know what you just ruined;):)

http://www.inliners.org/

23. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

I guess now ya know low oil pressure means something. too bad the engine had to die.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Even with the noise my 235 still has some what decent oil pressure,buries the 30# gauge when cold and about 15 to 20 at idle hot. I am expecting the same results when it goes but its going to be a couple years before I can do anything to it so I hope it lasts until then.

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll have a new/better one in it in no time.

26. 4t7flat

4t7flat

When I hear "REBUILT ENGINE",I ask WHO built it,WHEN was it rebuilt,and SHOW ME the RECEITS. If any of these are missing,I consider the motor a running junker,expect it blow at any time.

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I bought a "rebuilt" trans for a daily driver project and when I pulled the pan I found remains of a bearing so if I look again at anything that is advertised as rebuilt I want to see some paper work. I am beginning to doubt what I rebuild as the 235 that is in my 37 was built by me and it has a noise of some kind.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  28. Road Runner

Road Runner

How do you do that? Honestly.

Is it just bad luck of a poor rebuild or merely the lack of simple care and maintenance?

29. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Well it wasn't for the lack of simple care. I was very attentive with this car and this engine. I know the builder very well, so I trusted it was going to be built well. Oh well live and learn.

30. Road Runner

Road Runner

Yeah, I love but hate learning equally as well and not.

I just never believe in luck, cos if you do, you have to believe in the opposite as well.