Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air compressor upgrade needed for Sand blasting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 74bowtie, Dec 26, 2011.

1. 74bowtie

74bowtie

Hope everyone had a nice christmas, onto my problem, I am looking to upgrade my air compressor or beef up my existing unit. This is what I have a 60 gal vertical tank an older Sanborne unit 3hp but the pump it real tired. I have a blast cabinet I use and right now the air compressor just does not cut it. I am looking to try and not spend a major amount of money on this if possible. Should I just break down and get a whole new compressor or where can I get a new pump and larger 5hp motor that will keep up with a blaster. I want something that will last either way I go no china crap If I can help it.

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy a 5hp, dual stage compressor. Search Craigslist and you may find an old, but still good, American made compressor. I picked up a good, old I-R about a year ago. I had to put reeds and head gaskets in it but it works great and I give out before it does. You also should also find a refrigerated dryer to keep the moisture out while you are blasting.

Good luck!

3. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I have read that the Lowes 60 Gallon 3.7 H.P. compressor is a good deal. Check it our on their website. Lowe's in Auburn stocks them. Get a change of address packet at the Post Office and get 10% off.

VR&C.

4. It seems to me that most of the compressors sold at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, Menards, etc have big numbers for HP and CFM all over them; but don't live up
    up to them. There are usually companies around that will build a real compressor to
    match your needs, it may cost more; but will perform as needed and last.

5. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I have been pretty happy with my 60 gal Huskey from Home Depot, but I haven't put it through a real test yet. Mostly basic air tools right now. I couldn't pass up 12 months no interest though.

6. uglymailman

uglymailman
    from missouri

Had buddy w/ compressor that wouldnt kep up. Called maker for replacement reeds. No longer made. Guy at factory told him to turn the reeds over & it should work for awhile. Ya might give that a try & good luck.

7. T-Faust

T-Faust

"Buy a 5hp, dual stage compressor"

Are tehre any of those that don't require a magnetic switch? I have an old IR t-30, the switch is going to cost more than I paid for the compressor.

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I have a 5 hp/ dual stage/80 gallon compressor tied with a broken 60 gallon and 30 gallon compressor just for volume, works great for blasting.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I have, too. Check Grainger and check eBay. You should be able to find a contactor fairly inexpensively. Got any electrician friends?

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Always look at the cfm ratings,

11. T-Faust

T-Faust

My electrician friend is completely lost. He ran the 220 line, then ducked out.

12. Leonard Thomas

Leonard Thomas

it really depends on how much you have to blast small part's ok but if you are doing a full frame or car its probly just as cheep to have it done,by a sand or meda blaster

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We ran into the same problems, burned up a couple of the 60 gallon Home Depot type compressors and they couldn't keep up when using sandblasters and stuff that used a lot of air. So we kept one tank and upgraded to a 5hp motor and three cylinder compressor unit from Eaton Compressors in Ohio. This 5 hp motor isn't one of the small ones like you see on top of most compressors, it is so big and heavy it even comes with a lifting ring to pick it up. The shaft is something like 1 1/8 inch.

Since it was too heavy to safely put on top of the compressor tank I made a framework that holds the motor and compressor and ran lines into the tank. Now we have enough air to do most anything we need, and the cost wasn't all that bad. On the couple of occasions when we needed factory help Eaton was superb to deal with.

Don

14. I"m using a 5 H.P. dual stage tied to an 80 gallon tank. I have a large blast cabinet that I always use.

While it works O.K. it runs the compresser constantly.

When she blows I"m upgrading to an 8 or 10 H.P. and a larger tank.

Oldmics

15. Igosplut

Igosplut

Look HERE I've converted both my compressors over to Eaton pumps, and have recommended their units to other local people and they all love them. What you need to blast also is a run-on valve so that it cools the pump/motor by freewheeling the pump and not stopping and starting. I put one of THESE on my IR, and you will never want for another brand.... Impressive.

16. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

18 cfm at 90 psi.minimum for blasting.actually its about the biggest you can go before needing heavy electrical service and a contactor.
    i have been shopping for someting along this line for quite some time,used of course,and trying to keep the budget low.i want to do a little sandblasting as well.i have manages to scrounge a couple big tanks,just need a good pump.

17. 74bowtie

74bowtie

Does anyone know about this brand compressor,Gardner-Denver Air Compressor, 60 Gallon Vertical Tank, Industrial Rated 5 HP, 2 Stage, Max Pressure 175PSIG, Displ. 23.1 CFM, 220 Volts

Are they any better or just as good as a lowes model?

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

Gardner - Denver is an old company I know they make comerical stuff but they may sell some light duty stuff to I don't know.

19. 74bowtie

74bowtie

I ran across a used Gardner-Denver compressor on craigslist for a descent price, but I did a search and did not come up with much but the industrial stuff they produce.

20. 74bowtie

74bowtie

ttt anyone else have any suggestions

21. ecna

ecna

22. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

CFM is the ticket. Sandblasting takes 20 - 25 CFM. Usually a 5 hp. three cylinder compressor to get what you need. 80 gallon tank.

The Old Tinbasher

23. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I bought an Eaton 10/15 120gal. 2 stage,35cfm@175psi today direct from Eaton. They have a web site on ebay but I called them direct. It wasn't cheap but it will last way after I'm dead and gone(I'm 54). Its like a call girl ya get what ya pay for. I read many threads from different car sites and Eaton was preferred by many. Now I need to plumb it right so I don't have moisture problems. I know I OVER bought but I won't look back someday and say I wish I had ....