Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Hans- Thanks. The same to you and yours.
    Actually I would like to thank all of you who have followed our build. I hope you have found it entertaining and informative. I also look forward to meeting many of you as we take the car to different events. I have already met a bunch of you at LARS in Pomona and the HRR in Bakersfield. I have also had the pleasure of meeting some great guys from England and showing them around some of the local legends shops. I've had quite a few pictures sent to me of people wearing our shirts at landmarks in America and from around the world. Thanks to all and keep them coming!
    Sincerely,
    Rick

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Eric louvered the hood on my 57 a few yrs back. He saved the last louver for me to
    do while he was holding the hood. Very cool I thought.:)

3. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Eric has always been a class act !

4. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

PM sent, thanks!

5. Good luck with that Rick. Eric had had my tailgate panel over 2 years. When I stopped by a couple months ago, he still has not punched it, but he did say he thought he remembered where it was in the pile!

Here's a trivia for you. Do you know where he got the pattern for his louver dies?

6. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Hey Dean, Eric has only had you tailgate for two years! That's pretty standard for him. He does some awesome work but speed is not his forte.

7. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

First things first. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and received all the car goodies they asked Santa for.
    Dean- I remember talking to Eric years ago about the louver press and dies. He told me they are 7/8 scale of the ones on Gray Baskerville's deuce roadster that were originally done by Art Ingle at Curtis Craft in Glendale.
    What do I win????
    Hey Shoprat- Are you sure Eric wasn't just tired? HAHA!
    Eric has always been good to everyone including the "little guys"
    Dale- As you know, you can't rush art......or Eric.

8. Is Eric Vaughn still punching louvers for Walden's? I have a top insert for my 34 that came from there and was supposed to have been ventilated by him. Just wondering if you knew. Are you going to get a chance to come to Tucson in the near future like you planned before?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  9. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I'm Having lunch with Eric tomorrow. I ask him and let you know.
    I'm probably not going to make it to Tucson until May for my daughter's graduation.

10. AG F/C

AG F/C

Eric did the hood on my Deuce. There's not a better louver shape anywhere in my opinion. Still does wheel work for us including the Willys Gasser.

Ran into P-Wood at LeRoys not to long ago.

Thanks for posting this build. I'm watching every bit and enjoying it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  11. Paul Horning had Art Ingles punch the louvers on his roadster's hood when Art worked for Frank Kurtis. The Horning roadster eventually became the Baskerville roadster. When Eric wanted to make his own louver dies, he borrowed the hood off Horning's roadster for a louver pattern. Art Ingles punched the louvers on my first RPU a short time after he did Horning's hood. When Eric did the louvers on my current RPU, I was pleased that both RPU's shared the same louver pattern.

So, Rick, since you basically had the history correct, you win a Lowe Brothers Racing T shirt, but I ain't shipping it!

[​IMG]

12. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Hey Rick, you are correct. Rushing Eric is like pushing mud uphill, and exercise in futility. But like I said, at least it's bitchen when you get it. Glad to see some progress on the sedan. tell Pete Hi for me.

13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

AG/FC Thanks for editing your post...I was a little confused by it at first!
    For those of you who are not from SoCal, LeRoys is a cafe like in the 70's TV show Alice with a Cheers flavor. If your ever in SoCal, you should check it out.
    Dean- OK, I'll send a courier pigeon to pick it up. Send me the address and I'll send him this week. If he gets lost, I'll come myself.
    Also, thanks for the history lesson! Anyone else want to educate with trivia related to the sedan or the people associated with it. There is a long list of people not named Rick or Pete.

14. AG F/C

AG F/C

Yeah, I sould proof my scribble before posting. All louver dies are not created equal, Eric's are the best I've seen and easier on the paint and body guys. :rolleyes:

15. 5w32

5w32

where is LeRoy's located?

16. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Here's some trivia....I doubt anyone will get THIS one....

What one car, more than any before or after, told people that stance, wheels, tires and attitude are pretty much all that's needed to build a low budget, badass car?

17. AG F/C

AG F/C

18. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

5w32- The address is:
    523 West Huntington Drive
    Monrovia, CA 91016

Jeem- You ARE the consummate game show host! I can tell by your Avatar.

19. B-Rad

B-Rad
    from Monrovia

Hey rick,

Any hope of you bringing a few shirts this sat(if your going)

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You guys were talking louvers, and I understand the significance of have Eric Vaughn do them. But if the wait holds things up, I would be absolutely honoured to contribute to this build. My 2 1/2" have allot of the same shape of the Kurtis dies...

And Jeem is both the consumate game show host and dead right on the lessons taught by this car... 'Course never having had a "finished" painted, pretty car I have probably pushed this ethic a bit far!

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      154.4 KB
      Views:
  21. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Do you mean at the Holiday Motor Excursion?

22. B-Rad

B-Rad
    from Monrovia

yep, ill be driving the grey highboy phaeton(slightly modified) with all the kids in it.

23. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

For those of you who have never heard of the Holiday Motor Excursion it is an event between Christmas and New Years in Pasadena, CA that has been going on for 55 years. It was started by Pete's Father and Uncle. It draws about 200 1932 and earlier cars that qualify for the tour. I think the earliest we have had is a 1905 Buick. It also draws hundreds of other cars whose owners come just to see the spectacle of all these early cars being on display and driven. If you want more info, let me know.

24. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Isn't this the Horseless Carriage Club event this Saturday?

25. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I always go out to the Horseless Carriage Holiday Motor Excursion - it's one of my favorite shows to shoot photos. You see some wild stuff that you never see at other events.

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Yep, that's it! I'll be working the front gate. Stop by and say hi.

27. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

If anyone else going to Saturday's Horseless Carriage Club event want shirts, please let me know via PM the size and if you want the E&B shirt or the P-Woods shirt or both.

28. 5w32

5w32

thanks Rick, i'll stop by next visit to LA

29. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Let us know ahead of time and we'll meet you there!

30. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

The steering drop, column and shifter are finished. It now steers!
    Almost ready to come back apart for paint and primer.