Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old style banjo differential modifications

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mad Bomber, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Mad Bomber

Mad Bomber
    from Missouri

Greetings,

Seeking info from the experienced crowd.

1. Can you make the old style diff into posi track?
    2. Whats the highest gear ratio for the old style diff? Looking for a salt flats gear combination.
    3. Has anyone ever had their oldstyle axles cut for a second key? considering the keys shear quite easily. Want to keep everything as stock as possible, appearance is important.

Thanks,
    Mad Bomber
    [email protected]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  2. Merry Christmas. I too am interested in the possibility of a posi for these old diff's.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

#3. keys shear because the hub and axle taper don't fit good. Clean burrs off, and lap the hub to the axle with valve grinding compound. The key does not take the force, it just located the hub. The taper locks the two parts together. I think 225 ft/lbs on the nut.

One problem solved.:)

4. juniorsrodshop

juniorsrodshop
    from nh

quick change... to get the gearing... dont want to sound like an idiot but you could get a columbia two speed for an extra up top gear.

5. kellys29

kellys29
    from spokane wa

change it to drop in axles. old school was 50 merc or F100. today they run 9" axles.

How do they do that? I am looking into this on a 40 rear, Any help would be great.
    Jeff

6. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

1. Can you make the old style diff into posi track?
    2. Whats the highest gear ratio for the old style diff? Looking for a salt flats gear combination.
    3. Has anyone ever had their oldstyle axles cut for a second key? considering the keys shear quite easily. Want to keep everything as stock as possible, appearance is important.

1) Posi is possible- Hot Rod Works has it, or you can fit a "Lock Rite" yourself.
    2 Probably the highest is a 3.25 ratio without a Quick-change.
    3) You can replace the axles with new style by machine work to the carrier assy, changing the side gears, changing the axle ends, etc. Hot Rod Works does all of this. They are a really good company and extremely helpful. Highly recommend
    Jim

7. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Do a search for Quickchange information. I posted it a some time ago and has great info that you can use on your banjo with or without a quickchange.

8. What year do you have? Different years different stuff available. What are you going to put it in?

Charlie Stephens

9. Just as Jimmy2car said - go to Hot Rod Works. They will fix you up with everything you need. Great guys and excellent parts.
    http://www.hotrodworks.com/

10. You can get a Winters QC with a locking differential that will take late 31 spline axles and work with Ford axle bells. By the time you get it all set up you will spend as much or more than the price of Winters package assembly.

Another option is to use the Hot Rod Works axle conversion kit that retains the stock brakes and spring perches.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Someone on here posted a thread on modifying the ends of the axle tubes to receive 9" axles. I forget who. Good info though.

12. Mad Bomber

Mad Bomber
    from Missouri

Thanks for the info, Bomber

13. know this doesn't fit....but does any one remember an artical spread on how to make the old banjo an IRS...like a Vette's....or was that a dream?

14. 17dodgebros

17dodgebros

how do u fit the lock rite? anyone have pics?

15. badshifter

badshifter

Post #38 shows how it's done.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586925&showall=1

16. Work4it

Work4it

Does anyone have more information on fitting one of these? I have also heard "Goltrack" type can be used. It that is vague. There are some specifics missing.

What size are the ring gears in our banjos? Mine is 1940 Ford and I want a posi, ain't afraid of machine work or welding.