Register now to get rid of these ads!

my garage is a tent ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ChefMike

ChefMike

Well 6:59 here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">New England</st1:place> 24 degrees and waiting for my tent to warm up! Yep that’s right no garage ... I bought a tent and made it into a temporary garage why I work on my 47 custom Pickup Truck ! So my question is am I the only one to work in less then ideal conditions!!:eek:

2. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I think my worst was an O/T Boeing 747 Engine change @ 15 below!

3. trimph1

trimph1

Last year we got clobbered with about 7 FEET of snow in 2 days with temperatures hovering around the 5-10F mark and 30mph winds from the northwest..and here I was trying to swap out a 6 cylinder with a 289 in a Comet....:eek::rolleyes:

4. fitzee

fitzee

Them tent are good as long as you get no high wind!! I seen many a car damaged with one of these tents.

5. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Great, your in out of the weather and working on a nice project, stay warm.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS

6. 74bowtie

74bowtie

I also a few years back worked in a portagarge tent, I laid that outdoor grass looking carpet on the floor rolled my car in and heated it with a kerosene heater. It was not the best but better than nothing.

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

thats why i moved south and stayed here. it gets cold, but not for long.and it dont snow much.been many yrs since i had no shop or garage.i dont think id could handle workin out like that . you guys that work out in the weater i commend you. your either really dedicated or dumber than a box of rocks.lol just kidding. i admire your stanima. i couldnt do it.

8. ChefMike

ChefMike

I think were all just a little bit addicted to a GREAT HOBBY!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Merry Xmas to all!<o:p></o:p>

9. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I am with you, I grew up in the cold used to work in the garage with no heat, moved to warmer weather 30 yrs ago, just could not do it anymore, You guys are TOUGH!!

10. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Been there done that, got the shirt,, SUCKS big time

11. amalgamated

amalgamated

few years back i shoveled snow in a pile pulled the front wheels of my p/up on the pile crawled under it pulled the tranny to replace the throw out lever it sucked but it made me plan and plot for 24 years to build my garage I will never forget where i started

12. Had to change a clutch, which entails pulling the engine, in 20 below with wind chill higher, in Gardiner, MT, which is the North Entrance to Yellowstone Park. It was out in the street, with no shelter of ny kind from the wind and cold. This was 35+ years ago, and I still get cold thinking about it.

13. MistShift

MistShift

Those portagarages are a godsend. My frostiest episode would have to be swapping out a transmission in an OT ice race car on a frozen lake between heats. It was about -25 C, but I was sweatin' out the bellhousing bolts for about an hour. Combination of sweat and body heat froze the back of my coveralls to the ice..when I was done, crew had to pour hot water under me to unstick me so I could slide out from under the car!

14. 53 hemi

53 hemi

I survived a couple of upstate NY winters in one of those. Rewired my car one winter. Gotta live hard to be hard.

15. I've done many engine swaps on the F-16's out doors during Utah winters, we get it a little better here in Wa on the KC-135's, we get to hanger then most of the time for an engine drop.

16. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

former fuler...you must work for connie up there in alpena eh????son in law works up there and has had similar experiences....weather is no excuse for not working!...Shawn

17. I had one of those Costco plastic shelters for a couple of seasons. We dont get a bunch of snow here, and not nearly as cold as a lot of you guys. We did happen to get a bunch one winter though and I was worried about it collapsing under the weight of the snow. So I scrapped off what I could reach, but didnt have anything long enough to really get all the snow off. I grabbed a two by four and went inside, figured I could just bump the snow off from in there. Gave it a whack and broke a giant hole in the dang thing. The plastic was frozen ... oops.

18. 1950ed

1950ed

Im glad Im in Cal, and have a nice shop to do my thing in. Just it sucks when I come home from work, Im too tired to go there later.

19. cl350rr

cl350rr

"You've have a tent?!" spies like us

I'm working under a 10X16 tarp tacked to my shed as a lean too...

20. maniac

maniac

Sorry man, but the vision of that made me almost ruin another keyboard.:D

21. I've been working in aviation for 30 years, and you definitely brought back some memories with that statement!

22. Yeah, I'm one of those suckers...Got a temporary garage. And I still have some work to do on my Cadillac before we head out to Viva Las Vegas in spring.
    The worst thing is, I took a loan early this year to build a garage, only to find out afterwards that my septic system needs to be redone! ...there goes my garage plans to the dump....literally!

23. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Yes, but in Virginia Beach.....that must be brutal!:):)

24. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

No worries brother, I did all my custom body work sound system engine tuning and a shit load of other stuff in my alley. And my land lord wont let me set up a tent cause its on his lot! Oh well, one day I will have a house with a garage.

Buzz

25. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

X3! I cry like a baby when it's 45 degrees here in southeast texas

26. David Chandler

David Chandler

At least you won't get bugs stuck in your paint job. So get that done before things thaw out.

27. ChefMike

ChefMike

Im with you work hard live hard and leave this world tired !

28. ChefMike

ChefMike

Thats GREAT !

29. daddylama

daddylama

not exactly bad conditions... but a few days ago i was buttoning up a motor swap in the driveway beside my house at 6am in 26f. no tent. it was dry, the air was still... didn't feel cold. actually kinda nice, since it wasn't damp out.

my tiny garage is heated by a space heater & using the oxy/ace torch. warm my body with a constant supply of coffee. it never gets all that cold here, just damp. really f'ing damp. months of drizzle.

30. When I was a lot younger, I built houses and even tho this was in the Houston area, things still could get lousy with below freezing temps, light drizzle and 20 mph breeze which made me know that I never wanted to move back north! I always made sure I had a garage to work in after growing as a kid without one and trying to work on bicycles and go carts out in the yard and I was reminded of what the cold white north is like after Uncle Sam sent me to Hahn Germany for 2 winters.....