Register now to get rid of these ads!

Easiest rear swap in 46-Chevy truck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrispy1971gtx, Dec 23, 2011.

1. chrispy1971gtx

chrispy1971gtx
    from Missouri

A buddy of mine gave a 10-bolt Nova rear to me for a swap-in for the original one in my 46-chevy 1/2-ton. Is this the easiest swap...with intentions of a very cheap and simple update in rear gears/suspension?

Another friend has a 43 that he mentioned a 55-57 chevy car rear fit perfectly like it was meant for it and works fine for him.

My plan is to just go with discs conversion up front with stock spindles. Keeping the inline-6 and 3spd, possibly early 5spd if I can find a good one.

Trying to stick with the K.I.S.S. method.

Any suggestions or experiences would be greatful.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't remember what my Buddy in Waco put under his 41 when he put the 69 396 in it but I am thinking tri 5 car rear end. The engine and trans came out of his 69 Chevelle and he may have used the rear axle and trimmed the scabs off it. That was over 35 years ago though.

3. You can go to www.quickperformance.com They have a bunch of rear end measurements including overall length,backing plate to backing plate and spring perch to spring perch mounting width. Just have to look and see what suits you. Just a really good quick reference sight. Good luck !!

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Both the nova and tri 5 rears are a good choice. I put a 4x4 s-10 rear under my 37 PU.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Backing plate to backing plate measurements are almost useless, unless you happen to know the exact size of the braking components used on each model of axle, and all the possible variants. Be careful when you see these. I honestly don't understand why people use them.

You want the wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface (WMS to WMS) measurement. That is the one that matters.

6. mickeymoto48

mickeymoto48

The tri-five rear with with stock drum brakes and 8.5 x 15 wheels fit perfect in my '40 Chevy 1/2 ton panel truck's rear fenders. Should fit the same in the '46. Got to flip the spring perches to the bottom of the axle housing if lowering is in the plan. Speedway sells new weld-on spring perches, lowering blocks, U-bolts, shock mounts, etc.

7. chrispy1971gtx

chrispy1971gtx
    from Missouri

Thanks for all the info. This my 1st time to do any actual hot-rodding/customizing. All my experience is in restoring Mopars.

This truck project is for my dad and I. Its a shoe string budget and half the fun is tracking down the right parts.

8. lawman

lawman

S-10 4X4 1999 and up have disc brake's. May be cheaper than disc add on's for tri-five rear or nova. Here is a 99 4X4 Blazer rear in a 51 Chevy 1/2 ton frame.Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

9. chrispy1971gtx

chrispy1971gtx
    from Missouri

is there a modern replacement master cylinder that works with the stock peddle assembly/mounting?

10. aaggie

aaggie

The tri-5 rears are a real good fit but they are getting hard to find. Stick with the later stuff like the S-10 4X4 for parts availability. There is nothing like breaking a ring gear a long way from home and trying to find one for a '55 Chevy center section.

11. chrispy1971gtx

chrispy1971gtx
    from Missouri

Well, the 55 rear is close and cheap. Also, I have access to a 67-ford 9" mustang rear which is just down the road from me with the 5 lug pattern.

12. What 3-speed are you running? If it's the original, it's not going to work, due to the enclosed stock drive shaft. I'm assuming you have a later transmission?