Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Zealand quakes, you Kiwis all OK over there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42hotrod, Dec 23, 2011.

1. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Hope all of the kiwis and their cars came through the quakes today unscathed.

Scot

2. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Everyone asleep in that part of the world? :p

3. RussTee

RussTee

Hi in Christchurch we are all OK just sick of this stuff spoilt my Xmas brake up food did not even come out when kitchen was destroyed many shops not open yet but no one killed or badly injured guess we will postpone xmas this year bugger

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

I heard they are calling it an after shock after the last quake. Not a good time of year for it to happen.

5. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Glad to hear you made it through OK, sorry to hear your christmas is trashed.

You are welcome here in Idaho, but I'll warn you now, it has been below zero (F) here at night.

So board a plane and come on over for Christmas!!

6. Thanks for thinking of us down under Scot.
    Its certainly been a 'challenge' of a year here in Canterbury, over 4000 shakes recorded since September 2010.
    Just when you think they are all over - BAM - another shake.
    The frustration is you get no warning - not like fire, flood, tornado etc
    I'd just dropped my T roadster down off my 2post hoist yesterday & was walking across the yard. Could't stand up - I had to go down on my knees. Just pleased I wasn't under the rod.
    And the good to come out of it -- Mrs Kiwi_mal (Wendy) & I had been casually talking about taking time out for 3 months & hoping over Stateside.
    Yesterdays seismic activity has made the decision a no brainer - see ya all April thru June starting at Portland Swap.

7. Cub8556

Cub8556

Yikes 4000 shakes? I can't imagine that. Stay safe guys

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

glad your OK,sorry about your Christmas.Hope you guys have a better New Years

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Glad yer OK see ya in Portland

10. craigart

craigart

Surprisingly alot of people still out and about finishing off there xmas shopping today, Spirits are still up and at least the weather looks good for the next few days. My house only has minor cosmetic damage but Ill be moving to the outskirts of Christchurch soon enough, Fiancee is 20 weeks pregnant, Im not raising a child in this environment. Welcome back to sleepless nights for the next 3 months....

There was 3 decent ones yesterday 12/23/11, 5.8, 5.3 and a 6.0 within the space of 2 hours, then a 5.1 to wake me up this morning.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  11. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

12. Official count of after shakes since Sept 10th 2010 is 15,950 including 42 today ..

13. burbanite

burbanite

Was talking to my Mother on the phone the other day after the 5.8 when the 6.0 came along, she was hanging on to a door jamb with one hand and the phone in the other. Poor lady is scared out of her head, luckily for her she lives in the safest part of the city. I really hate to see my hometown destroyed like that...

14. 35desoto

35desoto

I was working down in Chch while this was going on - scary stuff when you are up high in a hotel at night and the whole building shakes and there is nothing you can do about it - all you can do is hang on for dear life and go for the ride. I didn't sleep well after that at night just in case I slept through a bad one and didn't wake up in time to get out of the way. Sure gives you a differnet perspective.

15. 62rebel

62rebel

if it is any indication of how lame our news services are; i haven't seen a scrap of reporting on this one. i HAVE seen dozens of stories about gangsta thugs rioting over tennis shoes, though. good job, American journalists.

my best wishes for Christmas to all of you, especially those with more to worry about tonight.