Register now to get rid of these ads!

My T5 needs to drink a V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommythecat79, Dec 20, 2011.

1. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

So I did a search and found a thread that talked about the camaro and firebird T5's having a tilt to the drivers side. And some of you said that it can be changed by switching to an S-10 tailshaft or a different bellhousing. The issue I have is that my T5 is supposed to be from a mustang it has a ford bellhousing an S-10 tailshaft, and it still has about a 7 degree tilt to the drivers side. The top of the bellhousing is level with the top of the engine which is level with the frame but the whole trannny is tilted 7 degrees. I guess since it already has the S-10 tailshaft and ford bellhousing there is nothing I can do about it so I am wondering what some of you have done when you encountered this problem and what kind of trans mounts have you come up with.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      197.1 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      214.7 KB
      Views:
  2. could you build your bracket square and use a couple of 3 degree wedges for axle alignment? Or possibly find a piece of large channel that you could make a tapered washer to go under the mount?

3. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

4. tjm73

tjm73

Can't tell from the pics, but I'd first look at the bell housing its self. Is this on a SBC? if so, is the bell housing from a Camaro? I think the bell on the Camaro/Firebird has the tranny to bell housing pattern tilted and that's where you issue is coming from.

5. If the trans is tilted, you change the bellhousing, changing the tailshaft isn't going to do anything. Trans doesn't care that it's rotated a little in the car, the gears inside are round, it just affects where the shifter ends up. You'll have to use a rear mount for a Camaro or something that came with it tilted that way.

6. Danny G

Danny G

I uave one out of a camaro and I used tube crossmember from speedway, cut the trans mount plate off and canted it like it needed to be and it works good. I built a shift handle with a bend in it.

7. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

I was going to fab my own trans crossmember anyway I guess I'll just have to make a funky lookin one. The engine that is going in the car is a 55' 331 Chrysler hemi the one in the picture is an old 354 block that is cracked that I'm using for mock up.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Dunno what kind of bell hsg. you've got. but the '84 Mustang assy. I installed in a '79 I once used as a daily driver wasn't tilted like the one in your pics. You sure that's a Ford bell hsg? Or are you referring to the front housing of the trans?
    Dave

9. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The short answer is that T5s sold in "later" Mustangs were tilted, earlier ones were not. I gather the difference is in the bell housing, and not the tranny itself.

If I am right, which I think I am, changing to an earlier bell, input shaft differences not withstanding, the transmission will be straight.

10. You put the tranny in in what ever position you want it at then rotate the engine to match. Actually hot rod magazine did an article that adressed the problem a couple of years back when these trannies were popular with the high zoot crowd. It seems like you can clock the tranny if I recall but I don't remember exactly. maybe someone who collects magazines can publish the article for everyone. Or maybe there is something in the tech archives on their site.

Ah that we could go back to a simpler time when you could just bolt a tranny up and go.

11. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Why is the tilt a "problem"? Thats the way mustang were factory made.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The stick is coming at the driver 7 degrees! That's the problem.

I had a similar problem in my '27 Highboy, different trans (LaSalle) but problem was the same.
    My engine was a 455 Olds, with a BOP stick bellhousing. (trick factory bellhousing, starter port on each side) When I fitted the LaSalle plate-type adaptor to the optional Ford bolt pattern (bell housing has both Ford & Chevy patterns, as they were used in Jeeps with wide range of transmissions)
    The LaSalle bolted up but was 7 degrees to the drivers side. (big reason to use the LaSalle floor shift trans was its right-hand side stick location)
    Here's the right hand side stick, about in the middle of the car, slanted right toward me...

I 'clocked' the tranny with plate adaptor 7 degrees clockwise, then marked for some new holes. One was off the 'pad' completely, so I got a block of aluminum billet and sawed a corner off to fit it on the bottom of the bellhousing. Heliarced it, milled it flat, drilled & tapped my 7/16" mounting holes and it worked great.

Car now has a 354" Hemi, but same transmission. The stick 4" to passenger side is really helpful, my 6 foot frame is a tight fit in a '27 anyway, and hot rods need real floorshift trannys.

13. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Oh I see, you cant correct that tilted stick.

14. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

I'd just take the shifter off the trans, heat it up right below the bolt holes for the shifter handle and bend it 7* the other way, problem solved.

I can tell ya this though its not a trans issue, its a bellhousing issue. I have a T-5 in mine and it don't lean like that.

15. wisdonm

wisdonm

The Ford T-5 bell housing is tilted. Mustangs Unlimited sell an adapter and a longer imput shaft, if you can't live with it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  16. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

T5s sold in "later" Mustangs were tilted, earlier ones were not.

I've rebuilt over 100 of these things and have my hands in them on a daily basis at work for the last 6 years, only the late model ones are tilted due to the bellhousing mounting holes. There is no difference in mounting holes on the cases. The S-10 tail housing isn't helping matter either, as its tilted from the factory.

17. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

During the last two years of t5 production in factory cars, the '94/95 5.0 Mustang used a unique tilted bellhousing and a shorter input shaft... Find a '93 or earlier bell and shaft and you should be good to go...

[​IMG]

18. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

The tag is stamped E6ZR-7003-FB 13-42-169 from what I can find online this is a world class T5 from 86 1/2 to 89' mustang 5.0 so it is an earlier tranny. I am not so sure about the bellhousing though.

19. jerry

jerry

Change out the bell housing. Problem solved.

jerry