Register now to get rid of these ads!

hot rod 4 banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorodz, Sep 13, 2009.

1. lorodz

lorodz

i wish i could get there to get it id give ya a keg o beer for it ...lol im way across the world..

2. put a hood on it and fuggetaboutit...

I think a for-en-four would be bitchen in a hot rod.

Sam

3. 61_Poncho_Ventura

61_Poncho_Ventura

I had a pretty nasty 71 Pinto about 12 years ago, it had a 88 turbo coupe engine in it.

4. lorodz

lorodz

what are the thoughts on a. im guessing a 87 2.3 ford mustang motor i was thinking mount it to a t5 ford that i have..to the banjo 46 rear change the fuel injection out for a carb and a nice header ....what are the thoughts on this...has anyone done this i can grab it for 100 bucks runs perfect..

5. lorodz

lorodz

one other question ..will a ford t5 trans from a 8 cylinder mount to a 4 cylinder or do i need to get a diffrent transmission

6. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Ford 2.3, Build a good durable motor, put a turbo on it with 22 lbs of boost......and some gears.....this will get ya into the 9 second bracket in the 1/4 mile....with the properly setup chassis......if that answers your question.......and at 23 lbs of boost.....the engine goes BOOM!!!!!!
    Now My favorite is hanging a 144 supercharger off the side with dual sidedraft webers and cam and headers and goodies.....a little over 500 horses all out......and you can tell thats all that engine can take, it FEELS like its coming apart.......

7. lorodz

lorodz

haha..nah i want to make it look cool but i want to make shure everything i have i can use ...im just trying to find out if this t5 trans i have will work

8. lorodz

lorodz

question about the ford 2.3 4 cylinder motor....im tradeing a 302 for the 2.3 ya i know but the motor needs work and im low on funds this way i can swap it in a go...preety much...ok anyway ...

now i wanna run this in my 29 model A now i know the car runs a coil pak to the plugs is therea way to change to a distributor or crank trigger ...

2nd had anyone converted theres to carb instead of injection this would clean up all the wires and crap on the motor ..any links or info would be great thanks....

9. bonesy

bonesy

My son had a Volvo P1800. That little 4 would scoot right along, sounded nice too.

10. lorodz

lorodz

not really that many volovos around here

11. Stick Boy

Stick Boy

do you have any parts for the 78 iron duke non cross flow head?

12. Stick Boy

Stick Boy

Do you have any parts for the 78 iron duke non cross flow head?

13. ap1930

ap1930

Here is my 4 cylinder engine. Its a 1970's British 1600cc crossflow type - not sure if you get them in the States.

[​IMG]

14. If this is a DIS engine it is a dual plug engine. It will be very hard to find an intake to work on this engine, and you could not fire but on of the plugs per cylinder with a distributor. You could change the head to an 89 or older and run a distributor.

You can use the five speed transmission from a V8, but you would need an adapter pilot bushing. Rapido makes one for this swap. Or you could have the end of the input shaft turned down to match the diameter of the 4 cylinder T5 transmission.

An engine from a Turbo Coupe, SVO or an XR4TI would work well. You could leave it injected and turboed or you could change it to a carb. It is very easy to get 250 RWHP from these engines.

15. lorodz

lorodz

* update *

ok so i finally started to work on the model A sport coupester again
    i started to make make motor mounts today hope to get the motor and trans mounted this weekend. will post pics soon ..of the progress.

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

The second i heard Mazda my stomach turned. There is a guy near me that has a 5-window A that has been sitting in a barn for over 40 years, it was his father's hotrod. Typical East Coast hotrod, channel no chop.

Anyway, he tells me that he bought a crate motor/tranny that an airman left here when he was discharged. Something he brought home from Germany, twin turbo 4cyl somethin' or other backed by a 5spd. I really lost interest when he mentioned that. I politely told him how i felt, and recommended him using one of the 4 327s he has in the corner of his garage.

In the end its his car, he'll never part with it, he can do with it as he pleases. If it were me......nothing newer than an Iron Duke.

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Crosley?

Willys Continental or Hurricane L-head. They are super easy to find, used in anything from jeeps to generators. My Clark forklift has one fueled my propane. I had an industrial one pulled from a welder once. Often sold to the public as gov't surplus. Yes, there are speed parts available.

18. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Or maybe a Alfa engine, cheap, good looking, traditional, small and easy to fit without to much mods.

Here is mine.

Attached Files:

19. topgun

topgun
    from WI

Here is a mitsubishi 4G54 engine on the dyno, capable of 200 hp with the right cam. we are using it in an airplane, so it makes about 90 hp at 3000. gobs of torque though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYW8tQ4TSBg

20. BRealistic

BRealistic

Ok, I realize this is an old thread.
    I googled "four banger hot rod" and ran across it...

Lightweight four banger drivetrain that is efficient and durable (and 'Merican!).
    Why not the 16 valve (non variable valve timing) Ranger 2.3 duratec?
    They started putting them in Rangers for the second half of the 2001 model year (and also Mazda B2300s)- so they should be easy to find in junk yards now.
    It is a very lightweight engine.
    And you could drop the entire Ranger drivetrain in the car.
    I think they had 5 speed automatic (if you wanted an auto).
    I was able to get 25 mpg in my 5 speed duratec Ranger in hard driving- and even 30 mpg on the highway (once).
    On a lower lighter car, it should deliver excellent fuel economy and better actual acceleration force.
    The lack of low rpm torque is noticeable at highway speeds in overdrive.
    But in a truck- you are pushing lots of air to the side.

-- all of this is assuming the duratec 2.3 is considered a 'Merican engine.
    I do know Ford and Mazda shared lots of four banger tech.

21. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

22. Look into some Marine engines Had a 2.5 GM ss valves built for endurance ran it in the boat @3600 all day long 4100 was max Sold it to a guy to put in his T

23. lorodz

lorodz

here is a small video of my 2.3 ford/pinto 4 banger running in my 29 ford with a t-5 behind it to a 46 ford rear, its all stock except for the ford ranger tubular header it runs on a single rodchester carb and adapter plate from vintage speed all made to fit and work together enjoy the video click the link to see
    View My Video

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  24. BRealistic

BRealistic

I like it. :)
    Those old Ford Lima four bangers don't have much power, but they are fairly indestructible motors.
    Which they needed to be since you had to flog them in the Ranger to move along with any speed.

And I completely forgot about the look of the engine.
    A 16 valve duratec four would just look odd, unless you wanted the modern drivetrain look or could get very creative with camouflage to make the modern parts look old tech.