Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Church Key

Church Key

1320 Engineering Special...Dana Jewel, Barry Little and Al Harwood. They were members of the Turbans Car Club, but it was not a club car. This car was a Standard 1320 record holder in B/D, and a show winner.

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

My new project Tim Beebe's fighting Irish Funny Car, Still looking for a good body off chassis pic Thanks Tim Jones

Attached Files:

3. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

i like that flathead rail, in the 3rd pic,
    [​IMG]
    ever race that? or is it in progress... cool

4. Deist, 16 ft ring slot. Not as big as Ivo's 20 footer, but the same red white and blue. Mazmanian had the same one on the Corvette.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  5. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

is this where the term "out running your crank" came from?

6. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

it was not smyser... it was nondo hasse

7. WCD

WCD

Merek, you are correct. Was Hasse ever involved in the 66 Moon Eyes dragster that toured Japan?

8. BloFish

BloFish

Indeed! God speed Plum.

9. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

That wasn't the transmission, that was the entire bottom end of the engine. Rods,pistons, flywheel, oilpan and everything. Right off the line at Lions

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

11. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

here is a sample in memory of Bob Plummer..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. WCD

WCD

In the case of the DiMatteo Brothers, they are actually on a run, not a burnout; You can see the haze from the other car. Note the butterfly plates are barely being cracked open as the driver of the DiMatteo Bantam is being very deligent in trying to find that right balance of not too much throttle to over load tires that are already being over taxed.

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

14. Church Key

Church Key

Nomads of Boston, MA All their cars were number 69...

15. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Dean, after you put that chute on the RPU your brother Jack and I put what we called a chute on his Schwinn 10 speed. It was housed in a cigar box and your mother gave us a sheet. Kite string for holding the sheet to the bike. We spent hours trying to go fast enough to see if we could feel the chute hit. But we spent more time getting the chute out of the gear selector than slowing down the bike. We as kids had it made, like George Carlin said " A stick made for pretty good entertainment":D:D:D

Also forgot to let everyone know that that paint job on that RPU was the most beautiful color ever put on a car. To bad it will never be dupicated...

16. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

17. S.F.

S.F.

School me alittle here......Im noticing that it looks like you have chromed 40 Ford backing plates (correct?) what type of things did you used to do too your brakes to make it stop faster....if anything (besides the shoot)

18. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Novadude55 I got out of racing 17 years ago ,worked on fuel cars in the 80's and 90's ,afterwards Wouldn't even watch it on TV , but the ADDICTION came back started building the flathead dragster last summer ,hope to be running next summer sometime, then went crazy and am now restoreing the nitro funny car, this drug they call drag racing can't be kicked!!

19. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

thanks for the info, that car is badass man!!!
    i can attest to the drug aspect of drag racing, i had to quit racing when i started paying my nostalgia drag racing entry fees from my rent money back in the early nineties..

20. classic gary

classic gary

ANYBODY have a picture of the Don Garlits Dart funny car? circa LATE 60's early 70's?

21. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

22. Stock '39 Ford hydraulics. That was the reason for the chute. Running the 1/2 mile drags at Riverside going through the lights at over 140 I wound up in the dirt a couple of times at the top of the hill. Didn't need the chute all the time, but it was sure nice back up when the old Ford brakes came up short. Later, when we changed to the bigger Champ QC, I used '56 Lincoln brakes on the back. They helped a little, but the chute was still needed at San Gabe and Carlsbad.

23. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

YES it IS!

[​IMG]

24. Larry T

Larry T

Wouldn't that be more of a fuel roadster? I think by the late 60's there were rules for funnycars that that car wouldn't meet. I guess by the late 60's the fuel roadster class was obsolete though. I saw it in the pits at the World Finals in the early 70's, but it never made a pass.
    Larry T

25. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Probably hands free going forward but won't stand upright sitting still :) No reverser alright but you'll have to do your burnouts behind approaching the line. I don't think you could even push that backward unless you had a guy hold the front wheels upright for you :)
    Rob't, any chance you'll have that car any where around east of the mississip? That track in Missouri maybe?
    Anyone know if the nostalgia cackle(?) fuelers ever race around Div II?
    Tom S. in Tn.

26. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Throttle's shut, but he's still ridin' it like a palomino !
    He's still way out....... wonder if he won that round?
    God I miss drag racing. Tom S. in Tn.

27. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Look again inspector......... that's the crankshaft still intact and still spinning.
    This world renowned photo and the Magic Muffler Fiat became the poster child for all of us who ran early Chryslers on nitro and tried to girdle up stock main caps.
    Who originally took this photo?
    Now about that new Adams & Lavoie block.........Tom.S. in Tn.

28. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Didn't Diest make cargo chutes also ?
    Our first was military surplus. Tom S. in Tn.

29. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#30016;
    "........this drug they call drag racing can't be kicked!! "

Sorry to disagree, but yes it can. The antidote is called a residence and hot meals. We quit the madness when we decided to own a home, then things like curtains. :)
    Tom S. in Tn.

30. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

There is a 2 photo series in color of the MM cars carnage,the hit and what you generally see posted.
    In the 1st photo the header flames are green,and you know what the old dogs say,,,,,,,,,,,"if the flames are green ,it's hydrazine". LOL
    I'm not stating that it was hydrazine for a fact,but that photo makes me wonder.