Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well, Im jumping it with both feet!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Dec 16, 2011.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have decided to go into the paint and body game full time. i have a degree in auto body and have spent a better part of my life banging out dents. In the past 10 years I have done nothing but hotrods. Well lately I have been starving a little to much, so Im going to step back int the collision world and I hope to still be able to do a lot of complete paint jobs on hot rods as well. If you are the praying type do me a favor and say a little prayer for my business, to do well, stay honest and keep it fun. also stop by and check out my website @ www.deerparkautobody.com . Im a little nervous because I have invested a lot of money into this in a time when our economy is really not in a good place. Anyway, wish me luck, here I go!!!!!!

2. best of luck indeed!

3. williebill

williebill

If you work on other peoples cars as fast as you finish your own,don't charge by the hour.
    Good luck to you.

4. your gonna do real well!

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Takes people like you to get this economy going. Congrats on stepping up to the plate.

6. Best of luck to you......I got out of the collision biz about 10 years ago. Don't miss it a bit. Hope you have much success!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

terrific - you have a wide variety if talent and skills that should help keep business coming your way. listed in H.A.M.B O'Dex?

8. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

what kind of degree in auto body do you have? good luck with your new venture.

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

9. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

hey jim, good luck with your new venture. i jumped in with both feet 23 years ago, spent every nickel i had and haven't looked back. while i still do one resto at a time, plus my own stuff, the collision end of the business has been very good to me, and there isn't much time or space to do alot of hotrod and resto work. and don't worry about the economy, i'm busier now than i have been in a long time. between cell phones, texting and complete lack of common courtesy, people drive like assholes now more than ever. you'll see that autobody shops are one the most recession proof businesses to be in right now, if you do good work. while dealing with ins. companies is one of the biggest pains in the ass in the business, stand your ground and make sure you get paid for your labor and material, and after a while adjustors will show you some respect when they know you turn out a good product. again best of luck, eddie.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I've seen a few of your hot rods in person and you do great work. I'm sure you'll do really well. Best of luck bud!

11. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Good luck !! You will do great!

12. cavman

cavman

I was a self employed body repair, frame repair, hot rod builder for most of my child hood. (2nd) While never getting rich, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Forced to retire with medical probs, I still have all my equipment and it saddens me to see it idle.

Good luck with your new adventure.

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Jim , I wish you the very BEST with your new business . I know you will have plenty of work and your business will grow by leaps and bounds ! Keep the faith and good things will come your way !
    2012 will be the best year for your business ! :D
    Good Luck !

Retro Jim

14. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

ive followed your work...you'll be fine

15. 1959apache

1959apache

based off what I have seen you will do great. Good luck

16. From one Alaskan to another, Wishin you all the best!! Am sure you will do fine!!

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

I am always impressed with your work !,.... I think you'll do well,... And in your down time you can build Duesenburgs out of old soup cans !

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

I did the 2 year program at a junior college back in 87. One year of auto body and welding, got certs in mig, gas , stick welding then Icar cert and ASE certs in auto body. Second year was Painting and small business management. after that i did a stint as body shop manager for Final touch ferrari,a place called the VW factory and Carrera Porsche in socal.
    The last 12 years I have been doing hotrods with a bmx bike co. thrown in for good measures. im eager to get back in the collision game, we will see how that goes.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Good to hear! and wasnt it just a year ago, you said you were out of the doing cars for other people business???

20. JimSibley -

Best of luck with your new endeavor! ... With your talent (plus a good business plan and limited government interference), I'm sure your Collision Repair business will be a success!

I gotta ask ... Was this Durango (with Minnesota plates):

[​IMG]

... actually one of your collision repair jobs? ... or just a clever pic to include on your "Deer Park Auto Body" website? :D

EDIT: Nevermind, this 2006 post on SNOPES answered my question :eek:

21. JimSibley

JimSibley

No, that one is just kind of an inside joke. You are a smart man.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm impressed! We need more Americans with your outlook to get things running again. Good luck to you, I've always enjoyed looking at the stuff you build. Bob

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Jim, prayers and well wishes to you and your business. I've been super-impressed with your work shown on the HAMB in the past. Let this thread grow a while and print it and hang it in your new office.

Please make sure you get trained in Hybrids if you haven't already done so. There's good money in those, but you can get really hurt if you aren't careful. A lot of shops turn them away, which is a shame.

Cheers,
    John

24. Well, that IS one "parked" deer....;)

25. Always rooting for the independents. Best of luck to you.

26. brady1929

brady1929

27. vert1940

vert1940

always enjoyed your projects and cars...i get out to spokane about once a year,and hope to meet you sometime!

28. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Good luck Jim. Whenever I see a car that looks like a total loss, I always say "Jim Sibley could have that show ready in a week." I have no doubt you will do just fine. Do you still have your Chevy coupe?

29. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Good luck man, wish you all the best. I too, have a degree in auto body and hope to do exactly what you're doing in about ten years.

Also, what BMX company? I've ridden for about 13 years now.

30. troylee

troylee

I'll bust out my old lucky rabbit foot, and give it a few rubs for you. Good luck. I also had to get out side My box to bring in some more $. Jurys still out but, stroken along.