Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Damn!... Oh, well..:(

2. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Yup! Palmer models. Great box art, but really crappy kits. Don't feel bad. A pro model builder couldn't make those atrocities look good.

3. lordairgtar

lordairgtar

Not sure on the two door wagon but this company sells a complete resin kit of a wagon. http://www.modelhaus.com/index.php?c=4106&p=63785
    No pics, but rest assured, you will be very happy with the quality of this company. I've purchased much from them. Don Holthaus is very good to deal with. This kit has the hood molded in, so you would have to cut it out and use the retractable's kit for engine and hood. Resin is brittle so care must be used when cutting it.....and wear a respirator. Resin dust not good for lungs.

4. dirty4

dirty4

the big t in 1/8 scale..had to have my older brother to help me.

Attached Files:

• bigt.jpg
      bigt.jpg
      File size:
      63.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Deuces

Deuces

That's the white plastic t-bucket kit.... I have a couple of those including the Golden T kit..

6. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

I was in the third grade and had to have it. The cherry bomb show car and motorcyle. Still remember trying to do that at the kitchen table and mom yelling at me for glue I spilled everywhere...:eek: Wish mine looked this good...lol

Attached Files:

7. Deuces

Deuces

Do a search on ebay... I'm sure there's a couple of un-opened kits of that one still floating around and give that one another shot.. ;)
    Cool chopper by the way.... :cool:

8. yes testors has changed thier glue just like the paint companys changed thier paint and

the plastic in the models isnt the same (now soy based) all to be more enviro friendly

i havent had the "new" testors glue dry out on me in the tubes , and actually the last couple of tubes ive bought seem to be working better then it was a few years ago

9. Deuces

Deuces

But it still smells the same.... :D:rolleyes:

10. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Try the Testor's Model Master liquid glue. I tried it about 5-6 years ago and have never gone back to the tube stuff. It comes in a bottle with a nice metal applicator tube that helps put the glue sight where you need it and ONLY there (unlike the old brush on liquid glue). Give it a try and I bet you'll be a convert, too!

11. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

Despite being car-crazed at an early age, I recall the very few models I had as a kid were airplanes. That is until Ed Roth's Outlaw came out in the very early sixties. I had to have that one.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Revell released the Beatnik Bandit again... I seen it at Kmart for less than 15 bucks...

13. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

What are model prices like where the rest of you are? I never seem to find models when I am in the US, but there are a lot of places that sell them in my area, and the prices right now are basically the same as they were when I was a kid at $12-25 for a skill 2 1:24 car/truck kit.

I got this kit last year for $35 because I love these Dodges and the box art really called to me!

[​IMG]

This is actually 3 kits in one with the tractor, trailer, and 40 Ford http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/february/first-looks/lindberg_L700.php

14. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

My first model was a 59 Ford convert. We didn't have any paint so it was just white plastic with a shit load of decals stuck on it. My Dad helped and put some left over flame decals on Moms salt and pepper shakers. She was not happy about that. One thing I remember was it had steel axels with several holes in the suspension so you could adjust the front and rear hight. I made it a taildragger.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Here's a few back on the shelves at your local hobby shop...;)

Attached Files:

16. Deuces

Deuces

17. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

1940 Ford truck with chrome wheels, lowered, and wood above the bedrails. I was about 7 and my dad got it for me. Don't remember if it was AMT or Revell.

18. Not sure if it was my absolute first, but this one left the greatest impression:

[​IMG]

19. 46stude

46stude

Most likely the Monogram kit:

Attached Files:

20. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

That's the one!!!!!!

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys still using tube glue? I keep some for when I want super strong 'melted' together joints but there is at least 12 different types of glue on my bench.

Doc.

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And, sad to say, you can buy that pickup already built and painted in diecast, exactly the same, for less than the price of a kit. I've seen them as low as 6 bucks at swap meets and toy shows. And evidently Revell / Monogram sees no problem with that. Wonder why? Gary

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So.... What other glues do all you guy's use? There has got to be quite a selection??

Doc.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or would you guy's like a thread in the model section on all the different glues and uses?

It took me years to learn all that crap, so if I can help anyone along, what you say?

Doc.

25. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I havent built a model in decades, but I used to use Testors glue exclusively,, it contained Toluene,, that was the best,,:D:D

26. For basic gluing of parts I like the liquid Testors.
    I came to like super glue in the gel form for painted parts..but found out to my chagrin later that when the built-ups were stored in boxes in a cold room the joints tended to get brittle and come apart.
    I'm now thinking of using two part epoxies.
    I visit the model building forums on the internet often to keep up on all the new tricks and tech.

27. Deuces

Deuces

Testors tube glue since my first kit in the summer of '71...;)

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't mean sniffing it................;):p:eek:

Doc.

Deuces likes this.
  29. mramc1

mramc1

Mine as an '80 Ford Stepside snap together. I built it at age 4. I had it for years and changed and painted it so much that all the body lines faded away under layers of paint and glue. It eventually ended up as parts.

One of the memories I have of getting a model as a gift was when I had my appendix out at age 5 in 1983. I was in the hopsital for almost a week and my kindergarden teacher and the class bought me a model of Rosco P. Coltrane's Dodge Monaco cop car from The Dukes of Hazzard! Later on I had Cooter's Chevy tow truck to go with it.

30. Harms Way

Harms Way

My very first model car was a un-built hand me down from my Cousin Russ that was older than me, but he wasn't into cars,.. it was in a cool box with a great drawing of the car on it,... it was a Stutz Bearcat and it was mostly balsa wood and some cast pot metal wheels & hardware.

Does anybody remember a model car co. that had the bodies in 3 pieces ?,... the trunk, hood & roof were one piece. and the sides were separate.... you had to glue them together along with the front grill & bumper and rear bumper to get everything to go together right..... Had to use a bunch of rubber bands..I hated those things !