Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fauj, Dec 12, 2011.

1. This was going around my group of friends and I thought I would share. I searched and didn't find any thing here on it. If I missed it and this is a duplicate, please delete.

Here goes...

This is the car that in 1954 could have "killed" the Corvette.

So, Chevrolet, being GM's big sales and profit division, campaigned to GM to "kill" this car.

When Chevy was coming out with its 6-cyl. sports car with its 2-speed "powerglide" transmission and side curtains, here was a sports car from Olds with a big old V-8 and power windows.

So, GM said no to Oldsmobile on building this car.

The world's rarest automobile: a 1954 Concept Old's Rocket F88 - the only one in existence. (read the story below)

John S. Hendricks, (Discovery Communications founder) paid in excess of 3 million to acquire this 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Convertible Concept Car .

After spending decades as a collection of parts stuffed into wooden crates, the F-88 was reassembled.

In 1954, the F-88 was a Motorama Dream Car, and was one of only two, or an unconfirmed possible three, ever created.

The F-88 seen here is literally the only car left of its kind, and was sold to John and Maureen Hendricks at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona, for an unbelievable $3,240,000.

This acquisition made automotive history, and is in the cornerstone of the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum, in its own special room in a rotating display, worthy of the F-88!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      55.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      54.2 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      49.5 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      53.5 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

The History of this car is one of the most complicated of all-time.

One of the most comprehensive stories on it was published in the October, 2003 Issue of Collectible Automobile. Written by Michael Lamm, it covers much material that had never been unearthed to that time...8 years ago. It's one of my most favorite Issues in my Archives.

Previous to the Hendricks purchase, it was owned by Gordon & Janet Apker. And, if you've not seen the article, seek it out, read it, and you will further explore the mystery of how those wooden crates ended up in the possession of E.L. Cord...all those many years ago.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

3. tragic59

tragic59

They should have let it kill the Corvette.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Man.... That ain't nice!..:mad:

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Nope. They should have gone ahead and produced it as a "companion" piece...just like they did with the Camaro and the Firebird.

It would have been a great "image" vehicle for Oldsmobile and its Rocket Engine. But, sadly, hindsight can't correct the decisions made all those years ago...and, GM politics was in full effect at that time.

I doubt very seriously that it would have "killed" the 'Vette. But the GM/Chevy corporate decision was made...and it was a "knee jerk" reaction to a truly stunning Olds. Fear does strange things...and, sometimes, is the biggest liar of all.

JK

6. Hairy Olds

Hairy Olds

I'm sure it was painted a few times.

[​IMG]

7. Man! This thing sure is cool. Too bad it never came to exist.

8. hotrodtrucks

hotrodtrucks

9. hotrodtrucks

hotrodtrucks

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It could have been bought much cheaper at the Olds 100th show in Lansing,a friend was looking at it but could not come up with the 25,000 or so to buy it. I am not 100 percent on the asking price but I know it was less them 40,000.

11. Thanks to Johnny King and hotrodtrucks for the info and links. It is always cool to see the history on these rare cars.

Jeff

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I saw that car in Columbus GA at a World of Wheels show in 1970.