Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 ford pick up rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by street rod lover, Jan 2, 2011.

1. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

not sure exactly what i'll do until i get there. i'm starting at the back and moving my way forward. just throwing ideas out there.

2. WCRiot

WCRiot

I have a 38 riding on an S10 chassis. I love it. One of my favorite trucks and i like my reliable and modern setup. I daily driver mine and put a few hundred miles on it each week.

3. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

had an extra rear ring and pinion assy with what looks to be in good condition compard to what i took apart and found inside. mocked up the rear end and installed the posie spring. MAN WHAT A DIFFERANCE. now the frnt is to high. splitting the rear wishbones next and then i'll address the frnt with either a posie frnt or just some drop spindles or maybe both

Attached Files:

4. orange39

orange39
    from Roseville

Hi,
    I want to install a dual master in my 39 ford pickup, did you do that? What fits?
    Thx,

5. My37FordPickup

My37FordPickup

Looking at street rod lover's front crossmember is exactly what I am facing. Some JakeLeg welded a piece of trailer hitch under the cross member which made the u bolts almost to short for the nuts....just a couple of threads holding the spring on. I tried the source mentioned for a replacement cross member...nada...so guess I will pull the engine and try and repair the cross member...will have to cut out the piece of trailer hitch metal...
    I could remove the rivets and bolt it back in I guess...what bolts would you use? Any ideas appreciated!!!!

Charlie

6. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

back to work on the truck. replaced the column and box. went to ididits showroom in techumseh and they hooked me up with the correct parts. first off when i called to see if they had the parts in stock they were very honest and advised they were short the drop but i could order it and have it shipped. i appreciated his hionesty as i've been many places and they tell you they have it but Not!!! actually to my luck the inventory was off and they did have the drop. the quality on the column is great. i also receive a 10 percent discount because i went to the showroom. i didn't ask for the discount they just gave it to me. great!!. i've been in the area and around cars in the detroit area and ididit has been around a long time and even when they were on us12 they were giving outstanding service. Next stop will be for the borg joints to complete the steering.

Attached Files:

7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

If you're keeping the stock, closed drive torque tube & drive shaft, leave the wishbones alone.
    Splitting the rear wish bones & using the closed drive torque tube won't work!

8. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

thanks pete
    i was going to split the bones on the rear and the front but per some replys on the hamb it won't work so i'm going to leave them alone. i'm going to buy a posie frnt spring and thats it. i have a disc brake kit i'm going to install once i get the spring.

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

How do you work the lights now?

10. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

sppedway sells a turn signal switch which mounts to the column. I had 1 on the original column and it worked great.

11. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

spe spe speedway that is!!!!

12. krobert56

krobert56

any updates on the project ?