Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940 Chevy car photo thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim G, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Dyce

Dyce

[​IMG]
    That's some crazzy shit!!!

2. RATTOO

RATTOO

anyone ever cut up a 4 door? build anything cool out of one?

3. Dyce

Dyce

I finally scanned Dad's chopped 40.
    [​IMG]
    The picture is from about 1984.

4. Dyce

Dyce

Here is another picture of the 40 I'm driving now.
    [​IMG]
    And a picture with Dad. This is when he first got it on the road. He put alot of miles on it!!
    [​IMG]
    This one is my first hotrod. The picture was taken at Thunder Valley. It had a 377 ci smallblock with 2x4 carbs, fenderwell headers, and a 4.11 rear. It hauled ass. Never could hook it up, and it was wrecked before I could hang slicks on it :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was at Back to the Fifties. Dad's is 2 cars down.

[​IMG]
    I know it's just a 32, but this is my father in law's coupe the same year. The model is my wife:)
    [​IMG]
    It had a tired old 265 with a '58 vette 2x4 setup, a 46 trans and column shift, and the original rear end. It was a blast!! Knocked one to many transmitions out and updated to a 327, 4spd, 9in setup.

A little more gray in the beard!!
    [​IMG]

MO54Frank and oilnrust like this.
  5. Dyce

Dyce

One more group. This is the frame Dad built that's under this car.
    [​IMG]

It's the way a subframe should look!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tim G

Tim G

Hey Dyce, Thanks for posting all those photos, really good to see the cars over the years!

Really excellent job your Dad did on that chassis build too! :)

7. Dyce,...I remember both your dad's and your 40's, I got pics of em at the 50's one year. Always liked your dad's sedan, he was ahead of his time with the patina look, glad you have kept it that way.
    Always liked talkin to your dad.
    Here's a pic of my first street rod, this is as far as I got it...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. Dyce

Dyce

Rusty looks like a solid car. What year was that picture taken? I've done a few improments to Dad's 40. Like nicer fenders, rear springs, cylinder heads, electric wipres, and a radio. The basic car is the same though.

9. Urhur

Urhur

Tim,

Thanks for asking. Plans are rather incomplete, beyond getting it drivable. I'm repairing the rust, which is not bad, and will leave the running boards off and get the stance right after the suspension settles in. It's MII front and Nova rear, with the leading edge of the leaf springs moved up inside the frame rails. I want it to handle halfway decent, but I don't expect miracles. Because it's a four-door, my biggest challenge is figuring out a way to make the car look less ungainly. The only four-door '40 I've seen that I really liked was without running boards and very low. My concern is that getting it that low might compromise drivability to the point that the car wouldn't be much fun.

10. ...pic taken about 80-82.

11. Dyce

Dyce

Got me going through old pictures now.... I found the pictures of my primered 40 after it was wrecked. A guy pulled out in front of us in a 40 mph zone, didn't have much time to hit the brakes :(
    This one has a little water damage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was in 1990. I still have the car, and reclipped the frame with a different subframe and front sheetmetal. Hasn't been on the road since though.

12. busch167

busch167

Have to add to the list.
    Pulled from a junk yard in 1974, on the road from 77 to 2000.
    She has had a long enough rest and redo and will be back on the road this summer!!!!!

Attached Files:

• 3a.jpg
      3a.jpg
      File size:
      64.4 KB
      Views:
  13. pinman 39

pinman 39

Why bother cutting it up . If you don't think its cool find someone who does .

14. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

Nice cars Bob, I like both of them.

15. Hey Dyce, why don't you GET it on the road !?!

16. Dyce

Dyce

I should I know. I'm saving it for my son. It was a great father son project for me and my Dad..... 17 years now since Dad died, and I've been driving his old 40 Chevy, and I've had a few cars since. Like to get my model a going too.... When the timing is right it'll get done.

17. Tim G

Tim G

Father and son project set to be the next generation father, son project... nice one Dyce, how old is your lad now?

Doesn't look too bad, mostly front clip panels with a little in the cowl sides etc?

18. Dyce

Dyce

He's 16 now and just getting his license. I already re-subframed the frame and put good sheetmetal on the front. It needs very little work to be on the road. I set it up for a BB chevy this time. Maybe in a few years IF HE"S GOOD:eek:

19. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

heres one we did
    [​IMG]
    never got to chop it

20. slammed 58 chevy

slammed 58 chevy

I love that Gambinos one. I think it looks fine unchopped.

Heres one Ive been working on. Total basket case, but getting there.

Could really use a drivers door and RR fender. Figured Id throw that out there since all the 40 guys are here.

101_2326.JPG

101_2328.JPG

101_2338.JPG

21. Great cars, keep them coming! Gambino's cars are just timeless!

22. Tim G

Tim G

This was massive inspiration when i bought mine, before i saw this i wanted a 39 Chevy. I don't think roof chopping these coupes has any visual benifit unless you go the whole custom hog like Cletus has. That 40 Alex, is just perfect the way it is in my eyes anyway.

I am fitting your notches in the rear of mine, i actually contacted you the other day through ebay about the length of your trianglulated bars, thank you for your reply... i'm still not sure which way i will go. my main concern is that i want to leave the original gas tank under the seat.

23. cooger

cooger

Here's the one i've owned for 50+ yrs--my first hot rod. Its been every color there is and body never off the frame.

Attached Files:

24. Dyce

Dyce

Nice car Cooger!! Sure sits nice, what's under the front? The 40's look so good when you keep the trim, and you even added the original pinstriping. That's a nice touch.

25. cooger

cooger

Front end is an orig. Pinto--taken out of the doner and cut to fit/weld to the orig. frame. No mods to the frame. All this way before there was ever a Mustang 2 conversion---- for anything.

26. VSO737

VSO737

27. Tim G

Tim G

28. Hotik

Hotik
    from Usa

29. Tim G

Tim G

Nice Hotik!

Do you have more photos of the build?

30. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

How about a thread refresher for the summer?

Does a 1940 "phantom" qualify, a 1940 Chevy 4 door "phaeton"?

Hello Tim,
    If I remember correctly your car came out of Montrose, Colorado.
    Am I correct?

You probably already know this, but your car appears to be a Special Deluxe business coupe. Not too many of those made. Looks like a GMC six going into your car. Let us know how the installation goes.

Attached Files: