Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Falcon restoration if anyone cares.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Dec 7, 2011.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Got the gas tank out (it's shot) I have a new one coming that I bought off of ebay. I was happy to see there wasn't much rust for a fifty year old car. I'll just acid etch it and spray undercoat.

I tried starting it after changing oil. It hasn't run for a few years. The old fuel pump leaks and I was unable to get spark. The good news is it turns free. Before I try again I'll change the points. They were pretty corroded before I filed them.

Attached Files:

2. MAC50

MAC50
    from Illinois

[​IMG]Here is my 1960 Ranchero: For Sale

3. Hmmmm...351W, narrowed 8", 3.90 gears...yeah, I can see that!

4. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

My 64, I bought it out of a alley a long time ago...
    [​IMG]

5. Powerband

Powerband

Is that a Falcon?, My mom , grandma, and my uncle still in jail drove one when I was a kid...

]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  6. PinHead

PinHead

There's a guy here with one for pretty cheap, though I doubt you'd want to travel that far to get it. Otherwise just PM me.

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What is this? Falcons are chick cars.

-Dave

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, Chick cars?! Really? I didn't know that!!!

9. 62rebel

62rebel

haven't you heard? chicks drive F150 King Ranch monstertrucks and Dodge Thunder Roads and VW Touaregs.

i wanted a piece of shit sky blue Caddy but somebody beat me to it.

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I've owned more falcons (and econolines) than I care to count. They are a vehicle that really makes sense. Good luck with yours!

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

And tailgate you. Don't forget that.

It takes a big man to drive a small car.

-Dave

12. gary
    I started to say why in the world would you want to restore a falcon. Then I remembered that you already have some pretty sweet rion so a restration isn't going to be out of the question.

I'm interesed. Its a cylinder falcon no doubt, 3 on the tree or fordomatic?

13. Deadbird

Deadbird

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hey Porker

It's an inline 6 cylinder stick. Three on the tree. I think 170 but I guess they made a 150. Thinkin maybe an overdrive if I can find one. I just wanted a little light cheap old car to tow behind our motor-home to spark some conversations when we stop. I found this solid little 4 door and couldn't pass it up for $600. It's been stored under cover for about 15 years but the seller said he and some friends had it running a couple of years ago. I'm thinking a cheap Maco paint job and some seat covers and it's good to go.

Gary

15. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool car four door falcons make great cruisers.

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Ford offered a 144 ci 6-cylinder from the Falcon's introduction in 1960 until 1964, that averaged 90 hp. They also offered a 170 ci 6-cylinder (making 105 hp) introduced in 1961 and the 200 ci 6-cylinder (introduced in mid-1963) that made a good 120 hp.

The early 200s can be identified by their 3 freeze plug/ 5 main bearing design. Starting in 1965, the 200 was re-designed with 7-main bearings.

$600 was a GREAT buy :D

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

We got brakes! Just got everything back together and thanks to my handy dandy vacuum bleeder the peddle is hard. Don't you love it when it gets hard? The brake peddle that is.

Attached Files:

18. 62rebel

62rebel

good little girl: "it's hard to be good."

bad little girl: "it's got to be hard to be any good."

19. 9310alloy

9310alloy

1961 144 cu.in auto...Falcons are great little cars with great gas milage, easy fix , how cheap and basic they were...kool

[​IMG]

20. lowko50

lowko50

Cool... Good Luck...

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck with your Falcon. One of the guys in our club has a nice little 4 dr Falcon. Here is is at one of our "Sunday morning coffee" get togethers.
    [​IMG]

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know I'm likin mine more all the time when I see what it could look like.

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

It's a runner. Just needed a set of points. I guess just filing the old ones wasn't good enough. Can't believe how good it runs after 15 years with just one run a few years ago by the previous owner. The carb. was loose at the base. Probably from sitting and the gasket shrinking. No smoke and it Idled right down after a couple minutes of warm up. No bad noises and the fuel pump isn't leaking like it did when I first tried to start it a couple of days ago. Now I have two of them coming from ebay and one sitting on a shelf at Orileys that I ordered. Hope they will refund my money.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! Charging OK?

25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Haven't hooked up the wires yet. Little threads are a kinda boogered. Haven't been able to start a nut. Thinking I might dig around and find some push on terminals. Think I might do that right now.

Exhaust manifold is broken because someone didn't connect the bracket that keeps it from vibrating. But one thing at a time.

Sorry threads are fine just had to find the right nuts.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Got a couple manifolds in the stash around here too... Although the aftermarket has reproduced the '68 and later 2" outlet style that will make a large difference in H.P. for about 150.00 or so. Every bit helps with these cars. Sorry 'bout the threads, if I'd seen that I would have chased them for you.

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Charging.!!!!! The threads were good just had to find the right nuts.

I'd like to buy one of those manifolds from you. Yes I did say buy this time. Give me a price. This is just going to be a putt around when we park our motor-home don't think I need a lot of h.p. If I want power I'll jump in my roadster.

Gary

28. Gary
    I think you afre headed in the right direction. Not a ton invested and a fun little hooptie.

29. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

1960-63, the coolest Falcons, no thanks to McNamara, he just got lucky.. have fun!

30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys. I don't build show cars. I drive my cars. The roadster photographs well but it too is far from a show car. This little Falcon will serve it's purpose and after paint and upholstery which I will farm out I shouldn't have more than 3K in it.