Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Model A Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donkeyfarm, Jun 13, 2011.

1. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

It'll be a somewhat east coast style build, The loonngggg winter approach. ha ha. Lately I have been thinking about when we do the channel to have the rear of the car sit lower than the front. Other wise the channel will be at about 3 inch because of where the bones mount up at. The rake would be similar to how the old lakesters were. That hauling ass standing still kind of look I guess one could say.

So I got out of class early today. I go to Fresno State and am a Crop Production/Mechanized Agriculture major. I was going outside to drink a beer in the back yard, and start building my horse pit when I noticed my neighbor has a roadster in his back yard. I couldnt get a real good look at it. It's got a ford motor and suicided front end. Last week when I first moved in I noticed he had a 35 Ford wire as a hose holder in the front yard. I've met his wife but not him yet. That would be awesome if he were a HAMBer!

Brent

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      308.1 KB
      Views:
  2. nice frame...now wack that top

3. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Got some big progress made! Jimmy chopped it and set the channel. I ended up going with a 6 inch chop and a little under a 4 inch channel. The bones would touch the body when the spring compressed so we has to raise her up a little. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Got some work done on this car this week. Floors close to being done, firewalls in, chops welded up for the most part. Tunnel's been rolled and welded in. I'll have some pictures to post up shortly. Next issue to deal with is a seat something I was pretty I was going to encounter. It's going to be a tight squeeze got about about a inch and quarter or so sitting straight up. Pretty sure the cut down vdub seats will work but have an idea for a plan b.

5. A Rodder

A Rodder

Looking great!

6. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Lookin good !!

7. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Some big progress has been made! The floors are pretty much done, firewalls in, just needs to be finish welded. For the floor I went kind of thick. I used 12 gauge kind of over kill but I was looking for something that would hold the road better and add a little weight to improve the ride. Jimmy built the tunnel in english and plennishing hammer. The recess in the firewall for the distributor is a fire extinguisher cut in half. The dash is a 37 ford. Originally the we had the dash almost flush with the cowl. But it didn't seemed plane so we pulled it back about two or three inches to the original dash rail area. Still have to order a radiator, pretty I'm going order a Brassworks chopped 30/31.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

The picture of the dash before we moved it won't load up some some reaason.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  9. navypainter

navypainter

That thing looks bad ass man. What size tires are you running?

10. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Dude, that is looking great. I like the extreme chop, mine is 5". Are you going to run the flathead?

11. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

6.00 in the front and 6.50 out back.

12. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Thanks, a little more work but worth it! No, I kick myself at times deciding to go with the sbc. I guess that means I'll just have to build another and put the flatty in it i guess :D

13. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Thats comming along real nice. The 6" chop is pretty wicked looking. Im 6' 5" so I had to stick with a 2" chop & 4" channel; seat is all the way back and on the floor. No package tray.

Keep it up looking great!!

14. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

I took a personal furlough from school today and worked on the car for a while. I built the Trunk floor. Now that the dash sticks out 3 inches I swapped the window regulators. The left is on the right and right on the left so windows can go down without having to open the doors. This weekend hopefully I'll tackle the fuel tank. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. navypainter

navypainter

Awesome looking coupe! If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? On my sport coupe I channeled it 6" and I'm considering a 3" hair cut. I'm only 5'6" but I don't want to have to hunch over every time I drive the damn thing. Can any of you see any problems with choppin it 3"? I'm also considering running a set of bomber seats an an inglese eight stack fuel injection unit. I know it's not period correct but then again, I think it will look good and run like hell.

16. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Sounds pretty bitchen! I'm 5'9 and I am making my own seat. The back of my seat is at a 20 degree angle it's pretty comfortable.

17. navypainter

navypainter

Is your seat going to be on the floor or raised up a few inches? How thick is your seat going to be? Sorry for all the questions :)

18. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Sorry it took so long for a reply. PM if you need anymore help! For the seat I plan using 1/2" ply wood then using somewhere in the neighborhood of two inch high density foam. Should be in the 3" area. Where my will go from the floor to top of the roof is about 36 inches measuring off the floor

19. Good lookin' chassis! Derrek is building me one just like it. ;)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  20. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Good looking chassis!

21. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Deek is the man! Which frame are you going with? I opted for the 2/8 combo.

22. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Been busy with school and work haven't been able to work on the car as much as id like. Everything's all painted up my dad helped me put the body back on the frame at are shop. Painted the frame semi gloss black. The wheels are powder coated gloss black.

The bezel and gauges mounted up using the glove box hinge bolts. I just drilled and tapped the bezel to keep it simple. For gauges Im running some Stewart Warners. I also scored a 37 Motorola radio recently. Fuel tanks all built and ready for fuel. Ron at Burkes Upholstery here in Salinas built the seat. The grill shell is currently at Valley Fab waiting to be welded back up.

I'm also having some transmission problems. The tail shaft spins but the linkage is locked up. Hopefully soon I'll get some free time to pull the pan and take a look.

Attached Files:

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Build is looking real good.. I really like the seat.......

24. navypainter

navypainter

That is a very nice lookin seat and a beautiful car as well. Can't wait to work on mine a little more real soon

25. Noland

Noland

cool car. keep up the good work. its got a real neat stance to it.

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Nice to see other fellow college students with a cool build going on.

27. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

That makes two of us. Keep the work up! I've got a similar coupe build going on. juggling school and the build is tough work.

28. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome build, I really like your chassis.

29. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Thanks boys! Ya it is but I think it also makes it more enjoyable at the same time. I just got back from your guys neck of the woods. A couple buddies and I rented a van road tripped it back to Tuscaloosa for spring break. We made stops to see friends in Austin, College Station, Fort Worth, Stephenville, Fayetteville, and on are way back went through Amarillo. It was a blast!

Pinky Ring Dunk is freaking awesome! I think College Station from what we remember was the best time! ha ha.

30. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Beautiful!! What hubcaps are you running?