Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Buick Century Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lvlynyrd, Dec 4, 2011.

1. lvlynyrd

lvlynyrd
    from Las Vegas

Have been asked to post a few pics or start a build thread for my project, so I hope I can get some pics in here. I have a '36 Buick Century, 2 dr, rumble seat, dual sidemount coupe, making it a mid '60s type street rod. Hopefully, on topic although I am using an IFS. Anyway, welding is done by my friend, Jason. Twentygallon on here. I'm doing what I can, floors, mechanical stuff, and he does the hard stuff. Another friend is doing the body/paint work, with me doing as much as I can in that respect. Anyway, lets see if I can post some pics. Engine is '63 401/413, trans a '65 Buick T400 switch pitch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Cool project! I have a 35 Buick 2 door sedan myself. Keep us updated

Ryan

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very nice,love the nailhead!

4. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Good to see the Buick on HAMB Lynn, tell everyone the story of how you came to be the owner and the go get it story too.?

5. A Buick motor in a Buick! I love it! keep the pics coming!

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nice job, can't say I love the color but it is your car :)

7. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

are you gonna run the welled fenders?I really like 36 Buick coupes,nice work.

8. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

I believe he is going to keep both fender mounted spares and the Rumble seat intact. car really looks Kool with both spares mounted....

9. kanuck442

kanuck442
    from vanisle

I have a 1936 Olds 3 Window that I have had for 3 years and planning my project as a tail dragger style.
    As there is no side profile pics of your front frame rails, I was wondering if the frame rails were cut and tapered towards the front? (they look narrower at the cross member and towards the rad support)
    What size frame rail did you use at the tie in to the old frame?
    Any more pictures would be great, especially of the frame tie in and any gusseting or modifications there.
    Did you replace the wood inside of the body?
    Who's cross member and suspension kit did you use on the front?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, but inquiring minds want to know...LOL.

Thanks,
    Hagen

[​IMG]

10. lvlynyrd

lvlynyrd
    from Las Vegas

Yes, did replace the wood with metal, both in the frame and the doors. We used the same dimension metal for the frame as the original, but tapered down to the front. It is a Helix front end, and if I had been on the HAMB longer to have read the threads, I would NOT have used Helix. That was a disaster of it's own. We did gusset up the Helix pieces to strengthen them, as they looked like they wouldn't hold up more than a T Bucket. Jason did a great job on all the work, it looks good and is plenty beefy now. The car is going to look very stock, as I am not doing any cutting, tubbing, etc. The main changes are the IFS, 4 link 9", and the 413/th400 combo. I will try to get some close shots of the front frame work posted.

11. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

Loving it so far. I'm liking the color. Will the interior match?

A 1938 Century Sport Coupe with Super Wildcat Nailhead or Stage 1 455 with a 4 speed has recently been added to my dream car list.

Pardon my ignorance, but were all Buicks this era no side mount or dual? Also in the case of a rumble seat and no side mount, where would the spare go?

12. lvlynyrd

lvlynyrd
    from Las Vegas

Interior color not firmed up yet, but either white with purple or gray with purple. Not sure how they were equipped, but I would expect that if you got the rumble seat, you could only get the side mounts. Someone with more knowledge can speak to that.

13. Great! A real live buick-in-a-buick hotrod! I gotta buddy who has a 35. Re replaced all the wood with new Oak but whimped out with a 283 chevy/350 turbo.
    Your car should FLY!

Attached Files:

14. lawman

lawman

Very nice !!!! Keep posting.

15. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

In answer to the question on the frame,
    We used 3" x 6" .125 wall Square tube for the front frame replacement, when faced with trying to get everything off the stock frame and the fact that the front crossmember we received was about 2" narrower than the stock frame we Opted to replace the rails.
    As TO THE JOINT AT THE FIREWALL ?
    The square tube was JUST barely small enough to actually slide inside the original frame about 2 " then it was welded at the joint and also plug welded at 8 separate points in the overlap. both sides
    The new frame rails were tapered down very close to the original size.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Like I said before, I'm not feeling the color choice.
    I just don't understand the bright colors like that and the purple and white or grey and purple interiors etc.

I've been around a long time and there was a period (70's) when the easter egg and bright color thing was really popular.

When I was shopping for a car I passed by many cars built back when with similar choices in color schemes.

I knew I would likely find a car that I would end up changing the color and interior of and I did with my 36. I ended up with a car I can keep as is and enjoy for a time before the changes.

But when I looked at some of them I just shuddered and moved on because I knew I could not stand the combo of paint and interior even short term.

In any case enjoy the car and realize that if it comes to resale at some point down the road you will be limited to a smaller market.

Ultimately however you are building the car for you :)

17. inlineeight

inlineeight

Great ride. I have a 36 Buick Century Coupe I'm restoring. Would you happen to have the master cylinder that came off of your 36? If you do would you call me 618-889-6855.. [email protected]

18. djb_rh

djb_rh

Anyone know where one might find someone selling some original doors for one of these (36 Buick)? Almost any condition considered, closer to the east coast the better. Email me at [email protected] if you know of any.