Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wild Child's Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by grim, Feb 26, 2011.

1. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Are you going to be around the shop on Tuesday (today during daylight)? I need to run down to 'Wabash' to recycle & I'll try to stop by.

Chris

2. grim

grim

Chris,

Oh yeah, I'll be in and out all day man. Hope to be around to catch ya. Part of the roof is open now, so, by the looks of things, I'll probably be planning things by ear around the rain. If you don't see me, I probably retreated :p. I walk over, about ten blocks, so if it looks like it means business I'll skip and try to beat the wet.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  3. grim

grim

Hey friends. Still runnin' too strong on things around the shop to slow down for an episode, but so you know I didn't forget about ya - here's some randoms to tide everyone over. Updates soon! Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like-box href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?ref=ts#%21/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?sk=info" width="292" show_faces="false" stream="false" header="true"></fb:like-box>

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. grim

grim

------- EPISODE 9: Andy -------

Packing up today, I keep running across this old newspaper headline. I can't stop thinking about it. I felt I should stop and post this up before it's temporarily buried again in restoration storage.

This article will eventually explain the most about Wild Child's and where it went. It really documents the beginning of what would become a flood gate opening in a new direction. What follows explains the last twenty years of Wild Child's up to now - and the future. So, due to the importance of the headline's timing, I had to throw this one out there so we can refer back to it sometime.

[​IMG]

Pop became a college professor, at The Art Institute, right after this. It was at this time that things began to transition toward Wild Child's becoming a design house; soon, furniture, fine art, clothing, architectural work, and more projects like these were slowly being added to the palette. I'm not sure what made Pop finally click on being an artist. I suppose it was always that way. Ed Roth, even in the sixties, published an article on Pop customizing anything, "Iceboxes to Bikes!"

[​IMG]

I swear to god though, the guy's like Forest Gump.. It seems like every turn I take, I find him with someone, or standing smack in the middle of something. I mean, I was mowing the lawn a couple weeks ago, at the building, and some cat pulls up and asks me, "what ever happened to Wild Child?"

I told him that Jim Greene's my Pop, and after a minute of disbelief over our age differences sinks in, this old biker warms up and starts talking.. He's telling me story, after story, after story - with the passion of a guy whose really lived, you know? He's telling stories about Dave Mann, and women, and anything you can think of in regard to the shop.. But then, just when I thought he was leaving, he stops and starts telling me this story of how he met Pop..

Evidently, in the 60s, Joe Cocker played this gig at the Uptown Theater here in Kansas City. This guy proceeds to tell me, as he was walking through the joint, he looked over and spotted Pop at a table with some guy rolling joints and passing them out. He'd heard of the shop and wanted to get to know Pop - so he went over to reach out and introduce himself. When he got to the table, he met Pop for the first time, and the guy sitting next to Pop rolling - Andy Worhal...

I ask Pop about it, "oh yeah, you know how things were back then. You know I met him hangin' out at Max's Drive-In in the 50s?"...

No Pop, didn't know that.... :rolleyes::p

The guy never ceases to amaze me.. Gotta love him man. Anyways, don't want to keep you here all day. Have a good one friends... Since this got so long, how about we title this as an episode?
    <script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like-box href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?ref=ts#%21/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?sk=info" width="292" show_faces="false" stream="false" header="true"></fb:like-box>

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Cool!!! Sorry I didn't make it down this past week life & working on cars got in the way (story of my life)...I will try to stop by next week.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ.

6. grim

grim

Sounds like a good life. ;)

I hear the Widowmaker is going be at the Kowtown Greaserama. If you'll be there you might see me then.

7. That Warhol story is great! I met your brother(?) last weekend over at Kevin's place. I'll have my truck at Greaserama this weekend. Please say hello if you see a hairy dude next to it, as it will probably be me, Ha!

8. grim

grim

I'll keep my eyes peeled! If I don't see you, I look just like Pop; don't be shy to give me a yell and wave me in. I need my glasses redone, so I can use all the help I can get. :p:D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  9. Right on man. Hey, you kinda look like a bald Jeremy Pivon.

10. grim

grim

:p Wonder if that'll get me in for free!

11. grim

grim

Saw The Widow Maker today; this one's for you Dave.... :)

[​IMG]

(I have the whole set for you, in high definition. If you can shoot me a PM of your e-mail address, I'll send 'em right over buddy. Great meeting you and Jillene!)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  12. RGSDave

RGSDave

Justin,
    It was really cool meeting you and Wayne this afternoon. The wife is impressed that you spelled her name right. Looking forward to the next phase of Wild Child's Custom.

Dave.

13. grim

grim

Dave,

Great to meet you both man! I'm just impressed I didn't scare her away - haha. :p

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  14. grim

grim

Pardon the episode delay friends; I'll get everyone an update as soon as possible. I'm working four jobs right now to try and meet the budget to get this place done in the allotted time - so things are hectic. When I find some time, I'll post up some more pictures and carry the story forward a bit. Have a good one everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

No need for apologies man,I have been following this thread since you started it and your doing a real nice job,update it whenever you can.I know how it is as well to be juggling mutliple things as well.
    I think we all have been there one time or another.Wishing you all the best in getting the shop restored.
    Later,
    Muncie

16. grim

grim

MUNCIE,

Thanks for reaching out with the kind words and wishes man. Good to hear others relate during the hardest part of all of this.

I've got a wild story for you though that I'd like to share about a recent event - that may change a lot of the struggle. Truth is, I'd like to get some wisdom and feedback on something I'm trying to wrap my head around...

(Give me a second while I take my time to try and write up what's happened as I see it.)​

17. grim

grim

------- EPISODE 10: The ADT Effect -------

An odd series of recent events, spurred from working on Wild Child's, placed me in a chance invitation to a promotions/marketing sector of ADT Security Services. I'm not sure how else to say it but to just say it. The guys at ADT have offered me a chance at all of the money I need to finish what I've started.

I've never played the lottery - simply because I don't want to win; it would piss me off. I'm not sure if anyone else here can relate to my sentiment. Maybe it's foolish pride, but it's not always about the results in life. Some things are about the test. Some things you have to know you deserve, and being cheated of the test robs you of something you can't get back.

If someone handed you a game, with the capacity for the infinite complexity of mental stimulation and adventure, and then played it all for you - only to leave one move left to end the game - what would be the point of playing? Is life about the results or about the process? A result is an end, motion coming to a rest, death; a process is an action, perpetual motion, life. I can't shake the bitter taste regarding the avoidance of the test; it dishonors what came before me.

This opportunity is very likely, in some way, a result of this writing... I don't like that. If writing gets a result like this, it seems like politics - using cunning in attaining a goal - guile; should something exist simply because of what someone had to say about it?...

I told ADT I wanted a job. If they're serious about wanting to support me in the effort, then they have to understand what it is that they're supporting. I'm going to go over the numbers more today, to figure out what it will take to make everything break even, and then I'm going to get to work with a group of ADT to get it done - an even exchange of labor power; friends stay in balance...

Right?

Who is with me?....

Am I crazy for the proposal, or am I in the right? If everyone would get in on this, I'd really appreciate the shared wisdom. If you can't think of a response, just give me a vote; even a YES - NO - or WISH I KNEW - will do.

Thanks friends,
    -Wild Child's

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  18. A

Since I believe everything has a price and even "easy" money has a price

A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval - Mark Twain

19. That's a tough one.

20. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Writing is a skill attained just like any other. To some it comes more naturally than others. Either way, it still has to be practiced to be worthy. If an opportunity presents itself because of that skill then it is justified. Take that opportunity to further your goals. If you feel it is an explotation of your self, reject it. Trust your gut and you will know!

21. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

:cool::cool:

22. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

You know what man Im not much on advice,Shit I can barely keep my life in line but I would have to agree with this statement.Well said in my opinion...:cool::cool:

23. What's going on with the shop?

24. grim

grim

Cactus,

Things have gotten busy :p. In order to keep the timeline, I've been workin'. (8am-10pm Mon-Sat) I turned down that ADT deal. I explained to 'em why I couldn't take the free ride, and worked out a deal for a job; one of my gigs, on that 8-10 spread, has been workin' for them as a Marketing Director. I need about 40k more, by spring, to rip the roofing corrugation off, trash everything above the trusses, and replace it all. But no worries, it's going to get done - on time. No choice. ;)

Pardon the delay on updates friends.

(P.S. Thanks for the input and words of wisdom everyone....... I decided against it - not my style or price - so we move forward.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  25. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Right on man!! Good luck with everything and I'm sure it will all work out for you.

26. jipp

jipp

hope the holidays where good for ya. i enjoy every story you taken the time to tell us.. do you have any christmas storys you can remember.. id have to think how could you not.. heh.
    chris.

27. grim

grim

------- EPISODE 11: The Black Hand -------

Jipp,

I must have been about 8 years old. It was quiet. No one spoke. It was Christmas Eve. The only person who didn't seem bothered by it all was me. I was in another world.

The shop was an old brick city. The tables, shears, brakes, and rollers were buildings - with grit. In the paths and walkways were streets and alleys of the kind that you wouldn't want to be caught up in alone. I was cruisin'. To all the tall people, it was a red shop creeper. They didn't have any vision... It wasn't red; it was black, with a white tuck and roll interior. Trust me, it was bad... A 61 Impala, 409, three-twos, and a 4 speed - with a heavy forward rake. The front bumper almost drug the ground as I maneuvered around imaginary manhole covers. Scavenger pipes rolled level with the ground, beneath the rear-end, and then stopped long - over a foot past the rear tires (U.S. Royal Masters - of course). The full moons, polished ones, had four scallops color-chromed around the edges. They had to be the screw on type; I fish-tailed, a lot ;). I'd just left the clubhouse, two blocks north of the bathroom, when all of the sudden I heard this motorcycle roll up outside. I parked my 61 and strolled into the office as Pop and the guys were heading out into the driveway.

A buddy of Pop had rolled up outside. Strapped to the back of his bike was a large black trash bag. It was full. It was quiet. No one spoke. It was Christmas Eve. The only person who didn't seem bothered by it all was me. I was in another world.

There must have been a million dollars in that bag. That year, none of the presents were wrapped.

Merry Christmas friends,
    -Wild Child's

Farhner's X-Ray being built.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  28. grim

grim

For my friend and cousin, Gary Garcia, who died tonight with respect.

[​IMG]

29. BadCat68

BadCat68
    from C.R. MN

Sorry for your loss man. love getting updates and reading the story

30. jipp

jipp

thanks for the chirstmas story.. sorry for your lost.. no ,matter how old we may get it just makes it that much harder when we lose someone// be-sure to reach out to your old pals you may not have talked to in years, just never know it could be there most lonely holiday yet and that call could make there year.. I know i have became a loner over the years since my accident.. just sorta happen.... life goes on tho..rock on.
    will play some grateful dead in memory of your pal.
    chris.