Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap Meet Shocker

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Went to Pomoma Swap yesterday. My Buddy bought a flipper to sell and well I guess prices have fallen since I last looked. Anyways this is not about my buddy going bust on his flip. Is it me or are prices falling?

2. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Yup, I peiced together a model a body to flip at last years portland swap meet, thought I was going to make it big, but I think that brookville is driving down the price, I finally sold it for what i had into it the work was free. Oh well

3. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

have you noticed the bad economy? only them 1%ers have money for luxury cars, sucks huh?

4. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

See signature:

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sure I know theres the economy thing happening. Thankfully I'm still working but this is my first wait up call.

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

1%`s only care about more money.They could care less about hobby cars.

7. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

been kinda lucky lately and have had more than enough work on our hands to pay for our truck, now the problem is when to work on it. theres stocks of parts just sitting in the garage that i got for dirt, just never enough time to work with them.

8. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Well, yes and no. They're also the fools at Barrett Jackson paying silly prices for Hemi clones, VW buses and the like !!!

9. Let's not start that 99% bullshit on this board.

Yes, prices are down and have been for a while, the economy is hit or miss, my model shows have all been slow until one yesterday I did really well at, it was busy all day and people were buying. I suppose being in the state capital, where lots of people have good jobs, helped.

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

Maybe for the common stuff, but the rarer (sought after) stuff is still going up.. Pines Winterfront grills, Electroline headlights & tailights, Kinmont brakes, Halibrand wheels, etc., etc. The hard to find stuff, like '32/'33/'33 Fords grills, Guide 682-C headlights & such are holding steady...no drop off.

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I looked on ebay the day after I got a set 56 Caddy hubcaps, Found 23 auctions, no bidders

12. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I think the money just not there like it was...

13. brad chevy

brad chevy

The actual selling prices are down but the asking prices are still high. Hell 20 miles from me 29 Chevy hotrod $7500, missed a 67 Olds cutless yesterday because from a distance I thought the sign said $13,500. When I saw it going out the gate it was actually $3,500 and it didn't sell. Last year I sold a 66 Cutless for $10,000 and it was rougher. Its a buyers market today but not a flippers market wanting to make a good profit.

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

a bit of the great depression going on .. nothing to worry about

15. badshifter

badshifter

On the other hand, a friend and I both found killer deals @ Pomona. I flipped my manifold today and made $400.00. He flipped his parts (ain't saying what in case it was bought here) and made almost $2000 bucks. If you wanna play the game, you gotta stay on top of the rules. Oh, and an unspilt 32 wishbone for 75 bucks was purchased.

16. I was at a swat meet in Conroe texas and sold $ 2800 worth of stuff. Carbs, tools, wheels.......alot of small priced items. I brought the most expensive stuff home. People were buying cheap ........

Thats OK. got rid of stuff and had a great time.

17. safetymike1977

safetymike1977

Most are like me.. Have stuff they don't want to build... and can't buy what they want to build till they sell what they got.

18. The Economy Is Good: Damn, prices are skyrocketing! I sold a little widget for a (fill in the blank) for $5,000 and I paid only fifteen cents for it! But, I can't afford to buy a car or parts because prices are too high right now. Wish they'd drop some so us poor boys can play!

The Economy Is Bad: Shit, I can't sell this damn widget I paid $5K for three years ago. Some asswipe offered me five cents for it. Can't afford to sell anything right now because I'll take a bath on it. Wish some rich guy would step up and buy all this shit off me!

Reading through this thread, that about sums things up, it would appear. And the cycle continues...

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are prices falling?

Hell yes they're falling. My Hudson was at $6,500 then $5,500...now $4,500.

Might trade up or down for magic beans...depending on the condition of the magic beans, of course.

20. metalman

metalman

Being in the rod business you always get offered "deals" and I've supplemented my income for years buy flipping cars and parts. Right now it's a buyers market which makes it a bad time to try and flip anything. Buy cheap, sell high is the name of the game and when nothing is selling high whatcha going to do. Most of what I'm selling lately isn't making me any money other then buying a job, I'll buy a half finished project and sell it for practically what I have in it if the buyer is interested in having me work on it.

21. VonKool13

VonKool13

Enough said!

22. cadillac dave

cadillac dave

I'm with you on this one ! those 99 % 'ers stand for this to me "they only work 1 % of the time and they bitch that those 1 % have all the money and they should share ! well get off your ass and create a way to make a buck. and you will then be a 1 % er and then it's your dam choice if you want to share your money. then you can be a philantrapis[hell, I can't even spell philantrapis.] quit your winning,no body owes you a dam thing. there are tons of senoir citizens who could use your help,doing the simpilist things for a under 60 year old person, like raking the lawn, fixing the gutters, replacing a window. washing the deck. going to the store to get their groceries. what have we become a bunch of pussy's that think the people that have worked hard all their life and have wealth should give it to you because you don't have it ? makes me sick to even read a newspaper anymore. the 1 % don't owe you a dam thing,

23. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Prices may be falling, but I make my own economy. I am more successful than ever and my family life is more enjoyable than it's ever been.

Theres still money out there and great deals to be had, you just have to look for them in different places.

As for Pomona, it's great- if you own a 61-69 Impala. Bah!

24. Big Dad

Big Dad

25. I have some really nice beans.....full of magic hardly used.........cheap!!!

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Some of you are on the same page as me. This is about the pricing of cars as compared to not long ago. Sure theres still gonna be those that keep there value or go up in price. But what was going for stupid money for no reason is at a stall and falling.

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Its all a sign of the times. Folks are holding their discresionary cash very close to their vest right now for fear of an uncertain future. Personally, a few extra hundred left over at the end of the month pays down a bill or gets saved rather than going candy store shopping. We're in a big-time recession and I can't be pissing away my $ left and right.

What free cash guys have, they are being selective about the parts they buy for their primary project. There's less, buying "extra" parts for their 2nd and 3rd projects waiting on deck, or to stash away "because someday I plan to build a Hiboy" mentality.

5-8 years ago in Socal in the real estate rise, people were refinancing their $200,000 homes that were suddenly worth $400,000-and going shopping. Thats where the "stupid money" sales were going on. Now they're being forclosed on or are severely upside down on their homes.

28. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

i sale high end Intake manifolds two years ago the were flying out the door. Guys were buying when they found something rare forr one or two projects deep. Just not happening today only for the project at hand. My buddy who most of the time sells right beside me who has lots of high end sheet metal dosen't take it any more. Instead he loads up on smalls, door handels, tail and head lights. ex manifolds, ect. what ever he has got that is less than 100.00. And he dose very well. Think I am going to take a page out of his book this year

29. Ummm...those prices are in the tank, too.

30. I think it is hit or miss. There was a '65 GTO on Craigslist in Charlotte last month for $7,500. It was a 4 speed Tri Power car that looked good. The owner gave up on wiring issues and just wanted to unload it. I missed it by 2 days...