Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grancor Jacket research

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbusdrvr, Sep 27, 2011.

1. airbusdrvr

airbusdrvr
    from st louis

Hello everyone,

Years ago my father gave me his old Grancor jacket. I've attached a couple of pics. If anyone has any info, please let me know.

My father grew up on the south side of Chicago from the 30's to 50's. Unfortunately he now has Alzheimers and doesn't remember how or where he got it.

It must be from early on since it doesn't have STP on it.

The front has a sprint car and my dads name. The back says Grancor Power and Speed Equipment. The material feels like Satin.

Thanks

[email protected]

Attached Files:

2. Sorry to hear that your Dad has Alzheimer's. I wish him well and please do look into medication for him; they have some pretty helpful drugs today, especially if you diagnose it early enough.

As for the jacket, that may be (I stress 'may' be) a jacket worn by a team member of the sprint, midget and jalopy races the Granatellis would hold at Soldier Field. You know, Andy Granatelli is still with us and so is his son Vince...so maybe someone on here knows how to reach them...just a thought.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think Vince was Andy's brother. The envelope for this "catalog" is postmarked 1947. This will give you their Chicago address in the late 40s. I was disappointed that he didn't sign the letter.

That is such a cool jacket. Did your dad crew for one of their race cars? Thanks for sharing it with us.

Hang in there. Alzheimers is no fun for the family.

4. deuce354

deuce354

Really Cool Jacket, Im thinking Grancor Did Not Exist Past the early 50's. The book "they Call Me Mr 500 " is availble fairly cheap, it traces all of Andy's life as a car guy. I agree the jacket was probably worn at the races at Soldier Field in Chicago, Good Luck Deek

5. Nice piece of family history.

6. FWIW there are two Vince Granatellis...Andy had a brother named Vince (and Joe as well) and then there was 'Beau Vince' the younger Vince, but I am not sure whose son Beau Vince is...Vince Granatelli Racing was run by the younger Vince but has not raced in Indycar for 10+ years....nonetheless,Andy is still around so if anyone can help airbusdrvr find Andy, he could surely tell him a lot more about his Dad's jacket.

7. airbusdrvr

airbusdrvr
    from st louis

I seem to recall when he gave me the jacket 30+ years ago he said he hung around a racing team that made the jacket for him. He never lied to me so I took that as the truth.
    His sister seems to think he bought it at a race where there was a embroidering booth that wrote his name.
    When was the last time you saw an embroidering booth at a race?
    Oh well

8. A Smith Jiggler conversion for only $850? I'll take one to go, please. Plans for it? No plans. I want to simply put it in the garage, prop my feet up, and stare at it occasionally....because it's just that cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BCR

BCR

Wow, that is wild.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10. i have been watching and checking on the Granatelli museum and theres also a V8 Ford one , all built on the Kruse museum grounds
    any updates as to when either open??

11. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Andy Granatelli's EMail address is: [email protected]

I suggest you send photos of the jacket and a brief question about it,asking for his comments. He doesn't answer many inquiries, but he may reply if he sees the jacket photos.

I grew up in Chicago in the Fifties and would have given anything I had for a Grancor jacket. I think the car on the front is a Midget,rather than a Sprint car. Not much Sprint Car racing around Chicago at that time.

12. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Seeing a label in the jacket and or a zipper will let you know when the jacket was made.

Rome

13. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Seeing a label in the jacket and or a zipper will let you know when the jacket was made.

Seeing that shape on the collar of the jacket says early 1950's

The zipper is either a talon or conmar if I am correct. That jacket is probably no later than 1955.

Why did it double post?

whatever

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Very nice! This is the kind of stuff that has me checking out the HAMB every day.

15. Wow! gorgeous!

16. Muttley

Muttley

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Super cool jacket and link to your family's past. Keep it clean, wear it at the vintage / historic races! Gary

18. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan