Register now to get rid of these ads!

I guess 50mph winds and a temporary tarp garage is a bad combo... PICS>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Dec 1, 2011.

1. LabRat

LabRat

Wasn't trying to be unpleasant , merely sarcasim fueling a dry smile on friday , before the weekend puts a real one there again . I wouldn't think this thread has been posted in search of pity , being able to laugh at your own misfortune amongst others is a large part of learning from your mistake .... Right ?

Buzznut , ( stand clear more sarcasim !) By learning by your mistake I mean ( nice play on words , maybe not sarcasim ) Second hand lumber and corrigated iron/tin is dirt cheap , a simple , strong leanto would take you and a buddy a short afternoon to construct and ensure that you don't achieve cult status as an absolute twit , for making the same mistake twice ...

As stated , no disrepect intended , is it cheap humour ? yes , its friday and I'm empty, patiently waiting for the first beer buzz that signals the weekend ....

2. He's one of those- an Australian.

.:eek:;):rolleyes::D

All Australians are thoroughly rotten bastards.

3. shoveled71

shoveled71

Back 3 or 4 year ago at the Turkey Run someone set up one of these quick set up tents and didnt secure it in any way. He went looking thru the show and a big wind came up and his tent went airborn and rolling off the tops of cars down the line, it damaged 6 or 8 cars before someone stopped it, did some pretty serious damage to some cars, everyone was pissed but dont know the outcome, he wasnt sure if insurance would cover it or not, if it didnt he was gonna have to they all said...

4. Buzznut, WTF were you thinking was going to hold the canopy legs in the sleeves of those concrete buckets? Effectively zero attachment to the ground. I was expecting to see that concrete bucket up against the windshield before you posted pics.

I've seen plenty of temporary structures withstand many a normal storm. Hurricanes and tornadoes excluded.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just about four miles down the road from JohnEvans above, I have two 10x20 canvas topped structures up over my small hot rod shop besides the garage. We had a an 85 mile an hour wind shear roll though here about two years ago that picked the two big things up and deposited them over a block away... Literally, a different zip code! Sucks man, I feel for ya!

6. You should try putting 56,000lbs pumping units together by crane in the wind we had in Bako. Definitely a pretty bad day alot of places. Power was out for alot of the units from downed poles.-Weeks

7. prideandufc

prideandufc
    from Las Vegas

frickin awesome . I just ordered my 10 by 15 .................
    with the big screws for the ground.............
    should i just go kick the shit out of my shoebox right now???

8. LabRat

LabRat

Thanks Spoggie , I knew someone would understand ...
    Maybe not agree with my methods , cause your one of them more gentlemanly art type folk .
    I'm still having trouble here possibly even going to be an asshole ... But , this just in , Newsflash ! Temporary has made an uncharacteristic leap of evolution and appears to obtained " Somewhat permanant fixture " status ...

FAB.

9. LabRat

LabRat

Thanks Spoggie , I knew someone would understand ...
    Maybe not agree with my methods , cause your one of them more gentlemanly art type folk .
    I'm still having trouble here possibly even going to be an asshole ... But , this just in , Newsflash ! Temporary has made an uncharacteristic leap of evolution and appears to have obtained " Somewhat permanant fixture " status ...

FAB.

10. slammed

slammed

Keep digging bored one^^^, may hit pay dirt yet!

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Heh heh heh..... he said "erection'.... Heh heh heh heh.....

[​IMG]

12. Here is a laugh for ya
    Old boss set up a bright blue NAPA e z up the night before the small town car show / parade. Wind ? No better. Some sob came by and took the thing ! Gone . Funny . Laugh .
    Friday - glad that the damage was limited I have a metal deal over my desoto and it's anchored too. They are expensive but solid ...

13. Weasel

Weasel

Sorry to hear your story. Had this happen to me on Jan5th/6th 2003. New Cover-It temporary garage with 2-1/2" dia steel tube frame. Hammered 24" steel stakes into the ground/bedrock with a 20 lb slegehammer and secured the frame with 3/8" U bolts to holes drilled into the top of the steel stakes. Winds got up overnight and in the morning I found the garage up in a tree the other side of the creek. The winds ripped 8 stakes out of the ground, bent some of those stakes into a J shape and ripped the U bolts in two on the rest. Guy down the road was not so lucky - a wooden building collapsed on top of his 6 month old Vette.

Remember the Russo & Steel auction disaster in Scottsdale a couple of years ago - high winds can be a killer....

14. Ironic that the things we buy to protect our pride and joy are the very things that end up smashing them -sad to see it. This happened to a buddy 2 years ago on a really sweet custom he built for his wife - put some ugly gouges and creases right down to the wood.
    [​IMG]

15. no55mad

no55mad

Recommendations from similar experience : tape all the joints of the enclosure framework(or bolt together as recommended above). Buy some ratchet straps and strap the framework of the enclosure to the vehicle.
    Another advantage to the tape is that it covers the rough edges of the metal frame joints so the chafing, from wind action, makes the tarp last longer.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  16. Buzznut

Buzznut

Hell, it is kinda funny...and I have some good pictures to show for my stupidity too. I rebuilt the structure today...bolting it to the cement apron tomorrow. I won't make the same mistake twice.

And yes, Aussies are evil bastards..lol, but I get the humor.

17. Wind is a powerful beast. Ask someone that sails... I've had the same happen. Luckily only the shelter got wrecked.

18. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

19. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

ive learned over here in the city of the "friendly breeze" that we dont put anything near cars that could fly away, cause they will. sorry for your loss, youll make it better

20. erlomd

erlomd

Man this paints a grim image for me...since next year I'm relocating back to Miami. My house there has no garage and I was thinking of getting the same kind of canopy thing for my project. Guess I better re think that since hurricane season is a bitch there and since it rains in Miami pretty much every day I'm still going to need it.....any ideas?

Sorry to hear, but as the saying goes "don't make the same mistake twice"

21. Seems like EVERY year at Carlisle we get a bad storm on Saturday night, and the next day you see twenty or thirty poorly anchored / not anchored EZ ups and canopies mangled all over the place.

Wonder if you HAD TO use one of these temporary canopies if you could make something sturdy that you could drive the car onto and the little pieces of plate that the tires sat on would have small legs extending to the outside of the car and you could weld (yes, weld) upright supports to it for the canopy? Kinda like they used to do at the indoor car shows for their rope stanchions to keep the people away from the cars.

22. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

I had the very same problem with mine. Next time I drilled lag bolts into the driveway and bolted the legs down to the cement. Then I bungee the frame to the car inside. It's been up for 2 years now and we get some hellacious winds here. I just wish the plastic tarps lasted as long as the frame...they turn to powder after about 1 1/2 years.