Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures THX 138 plate from John Milner's coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskyV8, Mar 22, 2011.

1. California didn't require you to turn in the old plates at any time. You just tossed the old ones and put on the new ones.

2. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Got a link?

I do. . . Milner's Coupe

3. AssGasket

AssGasket

^^^^That is an abbreviated version of the article that I read years ago.... Ownership may have changed since............

4. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

No, we did not (legally) have the option to keep our old plates. When the black 1963 plates came out, you were required to surrender your old yellow (1956) plates, which is why all 1950s (or earlier) cars in California during the 1960s and beyond had a black plate. The yellow (1956) plate was the last plate that California collected, and many cars still have this 1963 black plate unless they have immigrated to California after 1970, or they now participate in the YOM program. The first photo below is pre 1963, which is why my dad's 54 crestline still has the 1956 California plate. The original plate for 1954 would be a black (1951) plate but is much wider and the number/letter combinations are different, unlike the later 1963 black plate which is also 3 letters/3 numbers (i.e THX138). Prior to the YOM program, yellow (1956) plates were basically only seen in old photographs, which is just one more reason why the choosing of 1962 for the setting of American Graffiti was particularly special to car enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. kozik

kozik

the real car was still in san francisco as of last year, as it was at Jimmy's Old Car Picnic in Golden Gate Park. I t was probably there again this last October, but I didnt think to look out for it.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

7. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

I've seen the Milner coupe in my neighborhood several times - driving and parked - and it has the THX 138 plates. they must be the real deal -- you can't seriously drive around with fake plates (for long) ...

8. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

I will say I do love all of the stories. As far as the FACTS the cars in the movie had cardboard plates used for the filming. Check the 58 Impala from American Graffiti It still wears it original movie prop plates. Henery Travers built the coupe and kept the original plates when filming wraped. I have also heard the plates and shifter found behind a panel story........ "STORY" and thats all it is.

9. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Got a new computer and monitor. The plate colors are correct now.:eek:

10. It's a cool movie. Robert Duvall and Donald Pleasance in a future society. A car chase with motorcycles and Lola T70 Mark 3 Coupes.

11. Not quite true. I can vividly remember getting a letter from DMV for our 1966 Mustang, which we bought new in Monrovia and had black 63 plates, telling us to bring the black plated in and turning them in for the new Blue with yellow letters plates. When we went down there they said it was optional but recommended and my sister thought they were cool for a Blue car so we traded them.