Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Please read about a real hero....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

You're a 19 year old kid.

You're critically wounded and dying in
    The jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam ..

... It's November 11, 1967.
    LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
    Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
    You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come.He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
    Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.
    He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho

May God Bless and Rest His Soul.

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure heard a whole bunch about Lindsay Lohan, Dr. Murray, that sicko Sandusky, and a 72- day sham marriage.

Shame on the media !!!

Medal of Honor Recipient Captain Ed Freeman

Now... YOU pass this along. Honor this real hero.

2. The article says he died last Wednesday, but he acutally died 20 Aug 2008.

He was a true hero.

3. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I didnt know that I just recieved it from a friend , and I was really touched by the story , and I had to pass it along , I feel that the Vietnam veterans deserve all the attention that we , as a nation , can give them , my dad was drafted in '66-'68 , he was a medic , he doesn't talk about it much , my mom has told me that he has told stories to her about how he was treated when he returned , nothing he wants to talk about with just anyone I guess....God save the veterans of this great nation...

4. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

X 2...we rarely hear about theses heros today...all gave some some gave all

5. cederholm

cederholm

Thanks for this, a true hero! ...and very true about our lame media.

~ Carl

6. 52hotrod

52hotrod

A big thanks to him and all of Veterans.

7. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

The sound of a Huey coming in is one that you will never forget, (Pleiku '63-64)

8. Amen. I still look up when I hear one. 199th infantry 69-70.

Attached Files:

9. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

R.I.P. Mr Freeman

10. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

[​IMG]Kinda sums it up , this is for the ones who gave the ultimate price , and also for the ones who had to witness the ultimate price paid....

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Gave me goosebumps reading that.... RIP Cap'n Ed, a true American hero...

12. Thanks for posting this. A true hero. I don't have enough words to express the honor and respect that this man deserves. May he Rest in Peace.

13. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

14. jipp

jipp

yeah, from what iv read, watched etc.. them flying trash cans took a beating, but the pilots would do so 10 fold over to save there fellow man. r.i.p my step dad was in nam, he dos enot talk much about it either.. well he dose repeat one story over and over.. the 55 chevy his brother total when he was over seas.. he never did forgive his brother for that. heh :) its the little things that we remember, eh.
    chris.

15. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Wow! May he rest in peace. A true hero.

16. My Dad is a Highly Decorated Vietnam era Huey gunship pilot. He doesn't talk about it much either. I've read a few of his mission reports. You would not believe some of the stuff those guys had to and chose to do for their brothers....SOP on strafing was to pull up at 1000 ft, His squadron was known for being a little wild and they didn't pull up until they got debris hitting the cockpit bubbles.

We should repect ALL our veterans, regardless of our feelings on the war....

It simply amazes me that someone spit in his face when he returned from Vietnam

Much repect for all our heros.

17. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

they are our true heros....not a football ,baseball player or movie star...

18. I was privileged to fly with CPT Ed Freeman and his Commander and fellow MOH recipient MAJ Bruce Crandall many times while we trained at Ft Benning and again in Viet Nam. As an enlisted Infantryman all I ever saw was the back of their flight helmets and the little embossed plastic name tags glued on low and centered.

I did, however, meet both of them at subsequent reunions. They always reflected on their two values "We take you in and we bring you out" and "We are just members of a crew." I saw Bruce, who retired as a Colonel, at a recent event and he is just as festy as ever.

As a note, both Ed Freeman and Bruce Crandall where United States Army Aviators. If you want to know more see the movie "We Were Soldiers" or read the book "We Were Soldiers Once and Young."

19. cavman

cavman

Some of you older guys....like myself, may understand this.."as long as I can "Feel" that sound, I'll forever be nineteen" whup whup whup.....My He Rest in Peace.

cav...one of the 1st

20. F&J

F&J

I believe I read that 8000 hueys were lost there. I still look up when I hear one.,,, I bet you do too.

21. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

To your Dad, Matt, and all our other fathers, and family members, I give my eternal thanks and respect.

22. mspurgeon

mspurgeon

Thank all of the vetrens of vietnam!! My father was a silver star recipent for his actions in Nam (101st airborn). I have all the letters he wrote his mom and had have a chance to read them, there are things in them I pray I never have to see or be a part of. He later passed away from diabetes at the age of 26. Man i miss him. My step dad was also in Nam 1st Calvary, He knows the sound of a Huey well, has just started to talk about what he went through. Again I thank all of our vets and what they have sacrificed for us.

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Boy, that is both breathtaking, as well as bringing near tear to my eyes.
    That is what you call a real man.
    May God Bless his soul.
    Thank you for posting this...I will also post it on facebook for all of my friends to see.

24. rodknocker

rodknocker

Mr. Freeman, Chesty Puller, and all other Medal of Honor recipients show how true Americans act. God Bless the Hero's.

25. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Yea , I got it off of my buddies facebook account , I shared it with my FB friends , and here with my Roddin' buddies , I feel that it is imperitive that every red-blooded american should give the utmost respect to our veterans , even if you don't agree with the wars that our government wages , it's not our countryman that wages the war , they're the ones who pay the price for the check that the government 's ass couldn't cash...:mad:

26. Cantstop

Cantstop

The general population have forgotten that freedom isn't free. Its funny how many car nuts are ex-military, just like the ones that came before them. God bless them all.