Register now to get rid of these ads!

Checkered firewalls - any painting trick out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj429, Nov 29, 2011.

1. henryj429

henryj429

So I'm going to do some black and white checkers. Does this mean I need to cut 200 or so perfect squares out of masking tape or is there an easier way? There must be a whiz or two out in HAMBworld that can do this in his sleep....got any tricks I can use to save time?

2. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Magnetic sheet stock works well too...
    You might have to tape over beads or certain spots,tho

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Here is how I would do it. Paint the firewall white. Cover it with strips of 2" masking tape in vertical parallel rows. Take a 2" wide ruler and mark horizontal lines. Use the ruler and a sharp knife to cut the tape horizontally. Peel off every second square. Paint with black paint. Peel off the rest of the tape.

4. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

5. boutlaw

boutlaw

The only way I've seen it done was to have a vinyl graphics guy make a checkered square background that was then transferred to the firewall. Worked well and even held up to the heat. I'm sure thats not the old school way but it worked and was more durable than I ever thought it would be. Checkered firewalls are not something I care for personally.

BOutlaw

6. jipp

jipp

why not if thats what he wants.. even tho i do not care for white i like a off cream color.. i think it will look good, if one takes there time.. :)

chris.

7. havi

havi

Like said, I would paint the whole thing white then put the tape on. 2" tape butted together several times, and removing every other tape will reveal an even 2". Do it both horizontal first and then vertical, and you'll have perfect 2" x 2" squares.

8. A buddy of mine just did the firewall on his Willys by masking the whole area with frisket marked with a grid; then used an Xacto and straight edge to remove every other square. Indicate a centre line and line up your grid to that before you stick it down!

p.s. I don't know if the panel was white with black squares or black with white ones... :D :rolleyes: :eek:

Have fun!

-Dave

9. Wow! Five posts before I finished writing.. you guys are quick!

One advantage to the method my buddy used is you can make the squares any size you wish (his were 1 1/2 I think).

Anyway, good luck!

-Dave

10. oldolds

oldolds

If you go to the local graphics guy, he can make a masking sheet. If you have a flat firewall it will make it easy. Compound curves will take a bit of talent either way.

11. 60 ford

60 ford

^^^what he said^^^^^^^

12. It is hard to do but take your time and it will look good. Heres a picture of mine.
    I would paint the firewall white first. The black covers better.

Attached Files:

13. Back in the 70's when I was racing hydroplane racing boats I painted checker boards on sections of the hulls I raced. It was quite easy, and once the checkers where cleared over they held up well.
    You don't have to go to a sign company and get some fancy sheet made. You can use masking tape and a few short hours of your time.
    I always started painting the white, and then depending upon what size checkers they would be I would tape off the area with a good 3M masking tape. The cheep tape will bleed. I would take a straight edge razor blade and cut every other checker along the tape. With the white base already painted your only cutting the checkers once. Then I painted the black.
    You can make the checkers any size you want. On one hydroplane I had the checkers waving like a flag.
    Whatever you decide remember it's your project. Don't be influenced by those that would tell you not to do it. Your going to find people in this world that have a limited amount of talent and ability. They will always be the first in line to tell a person how not to do something. It's time to have some fun and paint some checkers.
    Good luck and if you need help figuring it out PM me.
    Johnny Sweet

14. henryj429

henryj429

Thanks for the advice guys. Just in case you're worried I'm doing something nasty to my car, I'm actually painting a 70 year old gas pump. I just mentioned firewall because that's where I've seen the checkered pattern used most often.