Register now to get rid of these ads!

transmission fill tube leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris101_ny, Nov 25, 2011.

1. chris101_ny

chris101_ny

I have a '63 buick with a '64 Chevy 6 cylider motor/trans. The o-ring at the base of the fill tube is leaking and I wanted to change it. I thought there would be something holding it in place by being bolted to the block or something. Unfortunately I dont see anything and the tube isn't moving. Any ideas how to get the tube out?
    Thank you in advance

2. fordclubcoupe37

fordclubcoupe37
    from Mich

Assuming its an aluminum powerglide, There should be a bracket bolted down on the top right side bell housing bolt. If not the tube is just corroded in and will have to have some CRC or WD sprayed on it and twist it to loosen it. It could break off, or if you can't get it out, drop the pan and tap it with a hammer to remove it and put another one in it. No big problem either way.

3. I could be wrong here, but I think the 64 still used the cast iron powerglide. I have one in my shed, but couldn't tell you off hand how the tube is bolted in. If someone doesn't have an answer for you in the next day or 2, then I can go take a look.

4. chris101_ny

chris101_ny

Just checked and its aluminum. I looked from underneath and above and can't see that it's bolted on anywhere. Although, it's so tight I'm hoping I didn't miss it. Just sprayed WD40 on there. Do you guys know if I do end up braking this thing if there are replacements out there. Thanks again, chris

5. The support bracket on the powerglide tube is VERY short and is very hard to see. IT is bolted to the top right bellhousing bolt as stated above.
    I use a 3 ft long extension and a swivel socket to get to it........

6. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

I would try and find an aftermarket filler tube that uses the lip seal instead of the o-ring. I bought two of the from TCI and very happy with them. Far superior then the o-ring. The ones I bought were for th350 but I'm sure they or someone else would make one for powerglides.

7. fordclubcoupe37

fordclubcoupe37
    from Mich

You could use a 350 tube if you cant find a PG tube. You just have to manuever & tweek it in place and reweld the bolt down tab in the correct spot. You could even use any other bell housing bolt to hold it down. If you have to make a large bend in it use a conduit bender. Just make sure you get a matching tube & dipstick, they make a lot of diff lengths. FYI, 62 what last yr of cast iron PG.

8. chris101_ny

chris101_ny

I literally can't even reach in and feel the bolt so I'm assuming I'm going to have to wreck it to get it out. Thanks for all the advice, the willingness to help is incredible! I'm going to get it done this weekend -chris

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

you can kinda see it here

Attached Files:

• pgd.jpg
      pgd.jpg
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
    • pgf.jpg
      pgf.jpg
      File size:
      7.3 KB
      Views:
  10. chris101_ny

chris101_ny

Very helpful, thanks!

11. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

I thnk LOCAR makes a flexable tube. If it is a powerglide it will have 2 o rings at the bottom. If it is a little sloppy use a sealer.