Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Yes, that's the idea. First place some welds and eventually seal it with sealant. Not that I plan to drive in the rain, but you can never be too sure.

2. plmczy

plmczy

yeah, mother nature can be very unpredictable,lol. Thanks. looking very good.

3. farmer12

farmer12

Considering I received my new shifter last night, I couldn't resist installing it. It did require a little modification as the bottom of the shifter was a little too long. Out came the grinder and cut of 5mm. Fits like a glove now.

Attached Files:

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I bet once you got the steering wheel and shifter installed you sat in there and made vroom vroom sounds didncha. :D

5. Oh man, that looks right on - the column, shifter, mount, guages, wheel, just looks perfectly art deco and perfect - except the pedals, rubber covers would fix that though. If you showed that to someone not familiar with '41 mopars, they might think it was all original. I love it.

6. farmer12

farmer12

Yes. Good thing there's no windshield glas in there, otherwise I'd be cleaning it right now.:D:D:D

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks AJ. The pedals do look a bit street race/ muscle car like. I may cover them, paint them or change them. Haven't decided yet.

8. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Hi, I used those same pedal pads on my Kugel pedal assembly and found they were a little strange when I drove with rubber shoes and a little moisture. I have since changed them for the round rubber ones and they work much better.
    Jan in Ojai, CA

9. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Jan. Do these round ones slip over the existing ones or did you change them completely? Got any pics and info on these round ones?

10. Fenders

Fenders

No disrespect to the questioner and certainly not to farmer, but this question saddens me...

Whatever happened to junkyard columns.. or build your own columns... my current coupe has an early 70s Chev PU steering shaft, and I made the column (housing) from a length of tailpipe (using the aforesaid 70s Chev spacers and bearings)....

Who made your steering column?... I hope you can say "I did."

11. farmer12

farmer12

There are two answers from my side, even though no disrespect is intended from your side, I would like to explain.

1) I bought all the major parts for this car pretty much during the initial dismantling of the car/build of the frame. This was to ensure that I would continue with the project (due to the spent money) should there ever come a day I needed persuasion and motivation. This day has not come yet.

2) I didn't know at the time that I would be pick up the art of fabrication/welding/design/etc this easily.

So perhaps in my next build, yes, I may even make my own steering column.

12. 1959apache

1959apache

Looking good. You know... you could always hook a couple things to that engine to get it running.... then you wouldn't have to make the vroom vroom sounds anymore

13. farmer12

farmer12

That's true. I would like to hear it run, so I may just hook it up in the coming weeks. And yes, I will make vid of course.:D

14. Bart 56

Bart 56

Eric don't invent the wheel if it allready excist and if it's beter Build by à good company that is specialized by building THE Parts. THE car Will be better than.
    It's à prof Build not à home made bad hotrod. Looks GREAT THE things you did, very impressed.

15. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Bart! I think you're right, why try to build a steering column for the sake of it, while there are manufacturers out there specialinzing in them. I'm not building it to a certain budget, it just needs to be the best.:D:D:D

16. 1959apache

1959apache

Also include a video of you going vroom vroom please. I will be extremely disappointed if this is not included.... it's kind of a package deal...

All joking aside I am really looking forward to hear that thing running. It will be a very good boost of inspiration and will help for you to kick it into overdrive and get that thing done!

17. qadeem

qadeem
    from Denver

Maaaaan.. that is an excellent work.. I really like the way your keeping yourself together :) If I were you, I would sleep in the garage :)
    I've been looking at your posts from the first page, and you know what? I really think what you've been doing so far is really impressive :)
    The problem we are all facing here is money. Whether you or me or anybody else who's building his own car, would sometimes need to accomplish a thing or two by his own in order to get his work done. The bottom line is whenever you're late, or whenever you need more time, just remember, the moment you have this project done you'll know the value of it.
    I really appreciate your effort :)

Keep going... you're half way through... and kiss the ENGINE for me :)

18. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you qadeem for the kind words.

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its all looking pretty spiffing Eric, nice job on the metalwork.
    I think you should cut the pedal pads off though and design something that fits the theme of the project better, don't know what at the moment but i reckon you will come up with something cool.

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Langy. The pedals are just mounted on there, so replacing them should not be a problem. I'm leaning towards the round rubber ones......more in style with the car.

21. 1959apache

1959apache

Those would be spot on.

Waaaay off topic for right now, but are you going to go with a vintage setup of door nobs and stuff like that?

22. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

just checkin on the progress
    lookin very good!!
    gives a good idea on how much time and work something like this can consume
    but as we dutch say ,good work needs time!!

23. ojai/jan

ojai/jan
    from ojai, CA

Hi, the round ones require different mounts. If you go to Kugel's website you will see them. I also had a slight problem the the pedals being too close together which was solved when I mounted the round pedals.
    Jan in Ojai, CA

24. farmer12

farmer12

Plans are to keep it in style, maybe not the original handles/knobs, but certainly something very similar to it.

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Perry! When I'm in my garage, usually with the doors open, quite a few people walk past, take a look and make a comment or start some small talk conversation. I had this guy walk past last week and did the same. After chatting for a while, he asked me "how many hours do you have in this thing?". I told him that I'd lost count, but that it would be between 1000 and 1500 hours so far to get it to this stage. He looked at me in amazement and walked off mumbling a few words. I couldn't help but laugh and picked up my grinder again.....

26. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the suggestion Jan.

27. powhatan42

powhatan42

Hello Eric! I'm just catching up on your build, and it looks great! I have been photographing alot of Mopar car shows to keep busy. Keep up the good work, your car is "Killer":cool:

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Glenn! How's your car coming along?

29. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

doing a great job farmer, just awesome!

30. robleticia

robleticia

Just dropping in to see how my hemi was coming along!:D Now back to work!